Hiya Guys. Just wondering if anyone from carlton, netherfield, gedling area can remember this house. It was owner by the godfrey family (of which my Great Great Grandmother, Harriet Godfrey was a member of). As far as i was told by my grandad his aunty lived there up untill the 1960's when she died and the building was left deriicted up untill it was demolished in the late 90's. I remember going past it all the time as a child and into my teens but unfortunatly never got the chance to have a look inside.

post-4216-0-61740700-1326395475_thumb.jp

Ok dokey, The Godfreys were a "Money Family" in Carlton , along with the Bancrofts, both owning factories in the locale. The Bancrofts at the bottom of Carlton Road , round the back of Bath Street, the Godfreys had two large factories on Chesterfield Street in Carlton itself, both associated with the Hosiery and elastication of such.

The Bancrofts and Godfreys lived in houses more or less next door to each other on Parks corner, and shared a lot of business interests with each other.

In the 1920s Mr Sandford Godfrey(Snr) moved his (Largish) family round the corner to a larger house on Manor Crescent, This house is still owned by Mr Peter Godfrey esq, although a lot of the land associated with it was sold off for housing in the 80s/90s

The Bancrofts moved out to the road between Oxton and Southwell , but it may have been quite later, I nver asked (Wait till November when (Hopefully) I'll get to see my old friends again)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hiya Guys. Just wondering if anyone from carlton, netherfield, gedling area can remember this house. It was owner by the godfrey family (of which my Great Great Grandmother, Harriet Godfrey was a member of). As far as i was told by my grandad his aunty lived there up untill the 1960's when she died and the building was left deriicted up untill it was demolished in the late 90's. I remember going past it all the time as a child and into my teens but unfortunatly never got the chance to have a look inside.

attachicon.gifgodfrey house.jpg

I am Graham Godfrey grandson of Samuel Isaac Godfrey. I was born in 1922 in the end house of 4 adjacent houses to the big house and called Avondale. Get in touch, I could give you a lot more information. Who are you and who is Harriet Godfrey.
  • Upvote 1