Hands up who has noticed the new multi storey car park at the side of the Midland station Nottingham. Am I alone in thinking it looks dreadful, like its derelict and boarded up with old pallets. I was going to take a photo to post here but even my camera came over faint and the battery went flat before I could capture it's full glory. What has happened to the 'Queen of the Midlands'.

Thanks Beefsteak. I haven't been here for a while so missed the post. Glad to see its not just me. Its so annoying when you need planning permission to change your bog seat and then they go and put this up. Its worse than the new contemporary arts centre and that's a peach!. They seem to have learned nothing. I could almost forgive the destruction of the inpolitically correctly named Blacks Head if they had built something respectable in its place but no. And still it goes on. They should display building plans and allow people to vote on them and only allow construction if they are voted in.

Personally I think the castle is the most rubbish building built on the most wonderful site in England.It looks like a concrete monstrosity from the 1960s.Cromwells lot have a lot to answer for by destroying the original both here and in Newark.If the Duke of Newcastle had copied Wollaton Hall...it would at least be an impressive addition to the skyline,not the unimaginative heap we are stuck with...bring back the Luddites,and let's start again.

The "Castle" wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't called Nottingham Castle, because it obviously isn't a castle in anybody's language. If it had a new name it would look better.........if you see what I mean. Stu is right that it ain't bad as a Regency Mansion.

Anyway, my nomination for ugly building is so far ahead of the competition that nothing else comes anywhere near.

contemp.jpg

Game over!

That's going to be a tough one to beat CT. Even the 'Nottingham lace design' on the exterior doesn't spare it from Buildings, Room 101. Sheer ugliness.

Stand by what I say re the castle. It's not in the same league as some of the monstrosities around Nottingham, of which there are a few. Here's a rose among thorns for example.

Vic_Centre_Clock_Tower.jpg

You are right Cliff Ton. The outside of the contemporary arts centre does look like the security fence is still up.I really did think this when I first saw it but if you look closely there is a pattern on it which is supposed to represent lace. I agree it will take some beating.

Not all the redevelopment is bad! a few years ago we went down to the area of the canal at the back of the old Sherwood rooms trendy wine bars and a cleaned up canal, I thought it was quite smart especialy remembering what it was like down there when I was a kid.

The city side of the canal is quite decent these days. But over on the other side of the water you have the Magistrates Court, and the area outside there is usually spoiled by the gathering of chavs and pond life waiting for their turn to appear in court.

The castle was never actually lived in as such the old Duke used it to have all his parties and balls there to show off i suppose i know it dosent look like a Castle but there are parts of it that are very interesting such as the little room i do my volunteering in its called The South Bastian its where the POWs were interred during the war there is a storyboard in there showing a picture of some of them putting barbed wire around the Castle there is also lots of grafitti ( sp sorry ) on the walls from the soldiers that were stationed there and from the POWs as well such as marks on the wall like they are saying how long they have been there