while out and about with some friends got talking about nazareth house and all the tramps one off our friends was asking us if we remembered the police taking itchycoo to lenton willoghby st public bath house for a bath and clean cloths before they took him into the canning circus police station on what ever charge they were taking him in for vagrancy or begging i would think were the most common ones.

fynger was axeman the very tall youngish guy with long straggly hair that used to wear denim cut offs and leather head band type thing and liked to think he was a bit of a hells angel wore insignea and thats why he found himself in trouble with the real biker gangs

i am sure it did on more than one occation friends i was with old lentonians one actually lived near the baths and said he was not the only one to be taken there by the police before they could or would takethem to the police station and i was told by arnold who used to be the manager at lenton baths that the salvation army whould leave a supply of clothing for cases like this plus any items unclaimed from the laundrette were put to this use to.

Was the Palm Court trio the ones who used to play during the 60s/70s upstairs in Yate's? Anyone recall that huge clock on the landing? What a clock that was.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Here’s our local character, David, outside Doctors Orders.  He can be spotted most days in the Sherwood, MP and Carrington area wearing eye-catching garb, occasionally wearing a Gas mask, I’ve even seen him in a big metal diving helmet.  Our dear departed Chulla asked me a few months ago if I’d seen a bloke around wearing a top hat with 10/6 stuck on it.  I knew immediately who he was referring to.  David told me that everybody wears dull boring clothes and he likes to cheer people up! He’s harmless and the locals don’t bat an eyelid when they see him.

1_C7_D37_EB-3519-4_C62-83_BC-_D11711257_

• Like 1

Bulwells Albert Brown, Peck the communist speaker also from Bulwell. The little scots tramp that walked up and down Upper Parliament St throwing coins and threatening invisible enemies...

Ian, I think  the lady who walked up and down Mansfield Road giggling may be the one I've mentioned before on here.  She often used to come into Woodthorpe Park and we teenagers used to talk to her (some used to make fun of her unfortunately).  I keep thinking her name was Dorothy but I may be wrong.  Chulla's wife knew who she was.  She had nicely styled dark hair, wore quite a bit of make-up and was always impeccably dressed, usually in a deep pink coat and often a hat as well.  When I knew her she was probably in her thirties - does that fit in with your timescale?

32 minutes ago, Brew said:

Bulwells Albert Brown, Peck the communist speaker also from Bulwell. The little scots tramp that walked up and down Upper Parliament St throwing coins and threatening invisible enemies...

I remember John Peck quite well, very clever bloke who would go out of his way to help anyone who asked for it.

WW2 Lancaster pilot awarded the DFC & other decorations.

• Like 2
On 18/01/2012 at 6:50 PM, mick2me said:

Mr. Williams claim to fame (when making regular visits to Canning Circus Police Station)

"No 1 Schoolteacher, taught Nev Everette"

Nev was another Nottingham character, a Nottingham Police Detective from the 'Life on Mars' days.

Sam Williams was a teacher at Manvers school on Carlton Road where most of my mates went. Apparently if anyone “broke wind” in class he would shout “WHO FOULED DE AIR!!!?”

We also had Rupert, who would walk around singing hymns. Mrs. Bancroft the local beer-off owner refused to sell him Kit-E-Kat because she thought he was eating it himself! Well, he didn’t have a cat!

There was also a father and son “act” who always stood on the corner near Don’s wooden beer-off. Dad wore an army greatcoat and a beret, son (who was mentally challenged) wore mostly rags and was known as Sammy Eggo.

• Like 1

And then there was "Pap Pap" who regularly caught the bus to town. The very first time he rode on my bus he suddenly staarted shouting "PAPAPAPAPAPAPAP !  I very nearly ran up the arse of another bus due to my sudden unexpected outburst from him. When he spoke normally he spoke very well, the voice of an educated man. He went around picking up rubbish off the streets & taking it home then he rang the council to say his house was full of rubbish.

Hyson Green's very own "Mr Trebus"  !!

• Like 1

Palm Court Trio & Yates's (as mentioned above)

I remember them as the Talbot Trio. I was very shocked once (it was the 1960's) when the violinist - who was a delicate Victorian-looking lady - said quite loudly as they came to the end of their session:

"I don't know why we f**king bother."

And yes, I do remember the big clock. Are you saying it's not there any longer, or indeed, that Yates's is not there any longer?

Anyway, there was a "character" in Hucknall in the '50's named Tommy. Always very smartly dressed in a dark brown suit (used to be called n*****r brown) and white shirt. He would always say hello to people but that's about the sum of any sensible conversation possible. He suffered from, shall we say, faecal incontinence. There he would be walking along Hucknall High Street. He'd stop, amble over to the edge of the pavement, then shake his leg and out would drop a steaming turd. He would then carry on as though nothing untoward had occurred. For obvious reasons, people avoided getting close to him. The reason for the brown suit should now be apparent!

• Upvote 1

Not forgetting Piccolo Jim (or Pete!) who used to walk to Forest and County away matches and then entertain the crowd with his music .

Previous thread here :

• 4 years later...