Which seaside town was best?

In times past, most Notts. folk went to one of the following seaside places at some point during the summer:

Skegness (Skeggy)

Mableethorpe (Mabo)

Cleethorpes (?)

Chapel St. Leonards (Chapel)

Ingoldmells (Jinglebells)

So which did you prefer?

My favourite was Mabo. Loved the beach and the amusement park just alongside with plenty of arcades just behind the beach. Great chippies too and all within easy reach of each other. My favourite means of arriving was by train - that feeling of rising excitement as the train slowed down for Mablethorpe station and the anticipation of the thrills to come as you walked down the street from the station to the beach.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a youngster we left the car in Skegness and caught the bus (As a family) down to Gibraltar Point intending to do a bit of birding and naturing (Me and Dad were keen birders my sister and Mum were i

It was to the South of Winscale (Seascale as she is now known) All I can really remember was that it was a pig of a place to get to ,a pig of a job to find when you got near there (No sign posts sayin

We would camp in the corner of a field which contained a derelict cottage right near the sand dunes. We did not encroach on the dunes as it was prohibited. Nearby was a sign which read 'No Camping on

Posted Images

Mablethorpe's still lovely Compo, apart from the disgusting High Street which needs pulling down apart from the Amusement Arcades. They must have been there well before the sixties when I was a teenager. Looking back nothing could beat it, spending pennies in the Arcades and the sound of Brian Hyland singing: 'Itzy, bitzy, teeny, weeny, yellow, polka-dot bikini'.

We always went to Sutton-on-Sea. It is still a somewhat quiet location with less of the amusements etc. but a pleasant place to spend a day!

An Irish lorry driver went in to a Nottingham police station.

<irish> "Scuse me siir... Can you tell me the way to Maple Top? </irish>

On examining his delivery note, he was headed for Mablethorpe.

Mablethorpe for sure..............the Dunes Theatre, Auntie Jean & Uncle Dennis...........I recall (aged 10) doing an Adam Faith song, 'What do you Want' in the afternoon talent show................came last, but still got a stick of rock!!

Walking through the sand dunes, & creeping around the fence of the big house at North End, whre young boys were 'imprisoned', it was the kids holiday home (leicester kids), but we thought it was a home for bad lads!!

Great 'quick draw cowboy' machine at the junction of Quebec Rd & High Street, I never beat him!!

I used to go over to Skegness in Raleigh/ Miners fortnight for a couple of days.

Me and my mate Alan (The one who came to that meet up with me last year) used to go and stay with his Mum and Dad who hired the same big house on Drummond Road for the two weeks every year. It was a 'open house' arangement, everybody bought their own food (More than likely fish n chips every day !!) bread butter and tomato sauce and a brew provided for free though !!

Me and Alan would walk to Gibraltar point with their dog (Rover) and give him a good run, a couple of pints of an evening would be taken in the pub followed by chippy on the way back

As a youngster we left the car in Skegness and caught the bus (As a family) down to Gibraltar Point intending to do a bit of birding and naturing (Me and Dad were keen birders my sister and Mum were into plants , my little brother was well lets just say he was my little brother ....LOL) and then walking back along the beach to pick up the car.

Well all I can say is after about 4 hours of walking in the sand, the pier just didn't seem to be getting any closer. Eventually we cut through some dunes, scaring a nesting Peewit and my Mum half to death, over a golf course ?? to the main road where we found a newsagents open . My Dad bought a couple of Mars Bars between us (Yup money really was that tight) but I'll tell you this.............. "It was the best meal we ever had " (Family quote ....LOL)

• Upvote 2

Beefsteak: There was a golf course just south of Skeggy town If I recall correctly. I have walked that beach on a number of occasions but not for many years now.

By the way Compo, Skeggy looking down Lumley Road towards the Clock Tower ??

I reckon so. That's me in the middle aged about four. The Victorian ironwork arcade in front of the shops was still extant when I last visited in 1982 - is it still there now? There used to be an underground toilet just out of shot to the right - I suppose that's gone now?

One final pic. for tonight: Chapel-St-Leonards caravan site Circa 1953; note the slop buckets and meat safe beneath the van:

scan0004.jpg?gl=GB

Golden Sands (Swollen Glands!) North End, Mablethorpe

My first wife buried her gran's wedding ring there and replaced it with our own. The following spring she changed her mind and went back to look for it. We searched for hours using the markings on the sea wall as our guide (which we had noted for posterity) but alas, never found it.