• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Wells Road.  What's left of the  northern side of the Suburban Railway bridge, next to where the Gardeners Pub used to be.   https://maps.app.goo.gl/VqLHpvstQgzoBuVS7

Entrance to the old Alms houses on London road.

Certainly is @philmayfield but now owned by Nottingham Trent University & will be used for degree ceremonies & music.   What is this? What was this? Bonus points if you nam

Are those two recesses designed to support/accept some other structure?

Indeed they are. I think it's the two narrow recesses to the rear (the right one of which you can see) that are probably the key to understanding what it is.

-

Cheers Kev

I tlooks like the mounting wall for a water wheel to me. Don't know where though...Southwell Mill?

Hi Stu, had another thought: looks like a couple of ready made chairs you'd come across on a country walk; if you were by yourself and a really tall person, you could park your bottie on one and put your feet up on the other! :cool:

Think it's a sluice gate for a water mill, but no idea where it is.

Scriv has it right for what it is. I'll let the information board describe in its own words:

'Stone walling narrowing to a former sluice gate through which water flowed into a large reservoir known as ---- ----. This was part of an elaborate water-management system designed to supply a regular supply of water to power several cotton mills close to the River ----.'

So then:

it's not at Southwell Mill,

it's not the sheep wash up above Epperstone,

Where is it? The clue is in the river...

It's the river Erewash judging by the surrounding hills. Probably Eastwood direction.

Papplewick (Warp Mill ?)

Centre of map

http://www.streetmap...5611_462611.htm

Game over :)

It's in Moor Pond Wood, Papplewick. It stands just off the end of Papplewick Lane that runs down to Hucknall as per centre of the above map. Well done Beefy.

A nice little stroll and one of the many interesting things about the villages of Papplewick and Linby.

Yesterday I did a quick recce of the Calverton railway line by accessing it from the bridge on the A60 near Seven Mile House near Burntstump Hill. Running from there is a very pleasant footpath over to Papplewick and well, what with it being such a nice afternoon, we got interested and carried on to the village, including a walk through Moor Pond Wood. Of course, a pint beckoned half way through at the Griffin's Head (one of my favourite pubs). I'll post a pic or two when I get a moment.