I think the pile of bricks that I stood on was next to the first arch pillar from Victoria embankment side. They  had been working on bridge repairs at that time. The rubble didn't  impede on water traffic under the arch, though normal traffic went through the middle.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Wells Road.  What's left of the  northern side of the Suburban Railway bridge, next to where the Gardeners Pub used to be.   https://maps.app.goo.gl/VqLHpvstQgzoBuVS7

Entrance to the old Alms houses on London road.

Certainly is @philmayfield but now owned by Nottingham Trent University & will be used for degree ceremonies & music.   What is this? What was this? Bonus points if you nam

There’s a board just by there showing the highest water levels over the years. I think the most recent highest was in 1947. I know my auntie Ethel Mayfield who, coincidently lived on Mayfield Grove in the Meadows, was badly flooded and I remember as a young child standing by the Midland Station and seeing the floodwaters on Arkwright St.

Edit: I’ve just checked and the water levels are, in fact, etched into the stonework next to the bridge. It’s so many years since I was there.

2000 was the year when we had severe floods in the Trent valley. We took my inflatable on its transport wheels to the bottom end of the village and then rowed at hedge height down to Gibsmere. The old houses there are built high to avoid flooding. The care home at Hazelford had been earlier

evacuated as by then it was cut off by water. We avoided the floods at home as we are on much higher ground.

If you pan round on Stuarts link, you can see the first arch where I stood ankle deep in the Trent. I do remember being down the embankment and seeing the water up to the top step. The river was running very fast so as kids, we decided to give swimming a miss. If we entered the water at that point, we probably would've finished up well past the Forest ground.

Edit. Thinking about it now, it's got to be before I was 14, as I moved at that time down to Kennington Road (1957) and never swam in the Trent after that.

I wonder if the vessel, Pride of the Yare came from Norfolk once upon a time? I only ask because that's  where the River Yare is. I wonder if she used to do pleasure cruises on the broads, somewhere around Wroxham. What happened to her?

4 hours ago, Beekay said:

Sorry about that Phil, that was due to me not reading Margies post properly. I shouldn't have interfered and minded me own business. Apologies to Margie as well for misinformation.

Just goes to prove.....I know bugger all.

You don’t have to apologise to me, BK. xx

I’m sure you know lots of stuff I have no idea about!  I have a very limited knowledge of Nottingham itself as in my childhood and early teens I rarely went into town.  In my later teens I only went dancing at the Vic a couple of times each week,  and occasionally frequented a couple of coffee bars and cinemas.  My social life was mostly based in the Woodthorpe area.  

• Like 1

Don't know RR but it's an interesting picture. Got to be the top sales floor of on of the big stores. I first thought what brilliant spindle work but then noticed that they are only glued and pinned in place.

No black dummies.