• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a gut wrenching day for the Magpies faithfull

Even the Stags managed to miss out on an automatic promotion place so off to the play-offs. Don't hold much hope there given the form over the last few matches.

The least said about Forest the better, another disappointing season.

Shame that the Stags faltered over the last few games. They were bleddy second a week ago.

Forest ! Yes, another season of mid table mediocrity I'm afraid.

I personally am saddened by Notts demise, but I can't wait to see my least favourite brother in laws face when he returns from holiday !

noblue

Sad day for County,, when very young early 50s.....i just remember Dad and uncles talking about crowds of 40,000,,and players such as Tommy Lawton,,Jackie Sewall,,Gordon Bradley,,Tommy Deans,,Leon Luety,,and many others,,,..........come on County sort ya'sens and get back........

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You might see some aspiring, young, keen players amongst their opponents next year without the overpaid prima donnas of the higher leagues. Plus you won’t have to queue to get in and it will be easy to find a seat! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Thats what County need,,some good young(local) players,,and some ideas how to get the crowds back,,ie free admission for under tens and oldies like us,,lol

• Like 1

An old farmer friend, Peter Woodward, was an avid, lifelong County fan. He even once drove his tractor down to Meadow Lane to clear the snow of the pitch for an evening match back in the days of Big Sam. He used to keep the team and staff supplied with pork and beef. Sam probably ate it raw! He didn’t like Brazil though - he lived on a chicken and fish diet! All the team turned up to the village church for his funeral a few years ago.

Sunday mornings won't seem the same next summer down under. When I get up and boot up the laptop the first thing I do before checking the weather forecast is to look at the local teams results. Forest first, then the Stags and then County. Next season I'll have to make a bit more of an effort to look up Notts result. I do hope they can bounce straight back and good luck to the Stags in the playoffs

• Like 2

What went wrong? From being in the play offs last season and all the pundits picking them as promotion hopefuls they end up being relegated.

Was it the managerial revolving door?

Was it the financial issues at the top?

Did the above affect the players?

Was the squad just not good enough?

I suspect it was some of all the above and it is worthwhile to note that only three of the clubs that have been relegated to the 5th tier bounced straight back.

I wish them the best of luck next season.

I think bringing in highly paid players like Dennis, Hemmings, Enzio and later Vaughan didn’t go down too well with the other members of the squad especially when, with the possible exception of Hemings they didn't perform on so many occasions. It happens so often in football these days. Some of these highly paid  prima donnas secure a lucrative contract then couldn’t care less.They still get their obscene salaries no matter what. Some even feign injury because they can't be bothered playing. No pride just greed.

One or two of these overpaid wasters are still on Notts books and their contracts will need to be paid up before they can be shown the door.

• Like 1

Most clubs do the same Mess, when desperation sets in. However, Notts might just need the more experienced players such as Vaughan in the new season. 

The thing that irritates me most of all, is the rotation system, which does nothing for keeping a settled side. 

In Forests Championship season, I think they only used 14 or 16 players, and kept the same side for most of the season.

My belief, is that Kevin Nolan had already lined up his transfer targets before the end of last season under the impression that Notts would win promotion and be playing in League 1. These players would have been well suited to League 1 where you get more time on the ball. However as we know three crucial decisions went against Notts in the two games against Coventry City and we missed out on promotion. The players that came in were not suited to the more physical style of League 2 and we have paid the ultimate price. 

As long as we avoid going into administration a top seven finish and therefore the play offs should be a realistic target, but every club coming to Meadow Lane next season will see it as their Cup Final, so nothing can be taken for granted.

I'm a Forest fan..but sad to see Nott's go out the League..hope they bounce straight back. My fear, even with a half a million parachute that quality ground is going to take some maintenance. God forbid that ground merger idea coming back to the table.

HSR What is wrong with ground sharing?

No business in its right mind would have assets like that "standing idle" and only used once a fortnight.

Like you say lower tier clubs cannot afford the maintenance cost of such facilities. Pitches these days have sub soil heating and irrigation and should easily be able to withstand a game a week. Most clubs have separate training facilities to avoid putting strain and wear and tear on the stadium pitch.

1 hour ago, HSR said:

God forbid that ground merger idea coming back to the table.

I would think Mansfield Town a bit far? Basford town not bad holds a good 1600, those pitches under the Clifton flyover always playable, until it floods, then there's always the Forest plenty of parking, but what about Goose Fair & Bonfire Night? 

Just realised Nottingham.........no longer has a league football  team,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Basford Town Ben. Although I wouldn't know where to find it ! :sorry:

12 hours ago, Deepdene Boy said:

My belief, is that Kevin Nolan had already lined up his transfer targets before the end of last season under the impression that Notts would win promotion and be playing in League 1. These players would have been well suited to League 1 where you get more time on the ball. However as we know three crucial decisions went against Notts in the two games against Coventry City and we missed out on promotion. The players that came in were not suited to the more physical style of League 2 and we have paid the ultimate price. 

As long as we avoid going into administration a top seven finish and therefore the play offs should be a realistic target, but every club coming to Meadow Lane next season will see it as their Cup Final, so nothing can be taken for granted.

Very interesting thoughts Deepdene Boy. 

You're so right about how the style of play changes through the leagues. 

A few seasons back when Notts were relegated from L1 to L2 I noticed how much more physical the games became. I really can’t see Enzio or Vaughan doing any good at all in non league. I believe Vaughan is out of contract anyway.

It would seem that to succeed in the lower leagues you need huge strong players who can take it as well as dish it out. The best example I saw this season was when Newport came to Meadow Lane. They were huge and battered Notts. Jamille Matt was outstanding.

Stags take note for the playoffs Newport are no pushover and if Mr Flitcroft thinks passing football will get Mansfield to Wembley he's in for a surprise.

BTW I bet Michael O'Connor is pleased he chose Lincoln over Notts and what about Derby's rising star Mason Bennett? He looked an excellent prospect when he came to Notts on loan but he only managed one game before his hamstring injury meant he had to return to The Rams.

I meant Football league,,as in football league !!  lol.

Basford United Greenwich ave,,,,..........do you remember their old ground off Mill street ?  they even had a stand,,played there many times,,thought we were at Wembley,,,,,,often had Ten watching plus a couple of Dogs...........

9 hours ago, jopip said:

As a young boy I collected & swapped programs throughout the UK. this is the oldest...1952.

IMG_00982.jpg

There's a guy I met once who makes quite a good living buying and selling them on Fleabay

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Notts County