• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just joined today and have read with interest this forum. I have only just moved back to Bilborough after more years than I care to remember. I was at BGS during the 60’s and this has brought b

I always thought a quadratic equation was a move for four horses in synchronised showjumping !

You're obviously in a class of your own Beekay!   I've said many times how much I detested Manning. I started school when I was 4 and by the age of 11, I'd had enough of it. It wouldn't real

Posted Images

I really liked Mr Downing his classes were one of the few I enjoyed. The punching incident happened when we had to wait outside a classroom, can’t remember why. We were all lined up & when Mr Downing arrived he was not happy at us all being outside the room. Don’t know why it happened but he suddenly punched the boy in the stomach which doubled him over. From what I can remember we were sent into class minus the boy. Never heard what happened after. 

I was also in Miss Trails form, disliked her intensely. It was Beatles/Rolling Stones era so we all had long hair, mine was wavy which was the Bain of my life as it should have been straight, she told us people with long hair were dirty. Told my mum who complained to school about her. She was always reporting our class to Peake. He would stand outside the classroom door watching her lessons with us. Someone put a note in the class register which said snitch. We all knew who it was but didn’t say anything. Miss Thompson had a nervous breakdown in my last year there. Our year got the blame! She was a bit of a bully, tried to get you to cry if you had to go to her office. She used to watch us walk out of assembly and would check colour of our tights & length of our skirts (mini skirts were in). If she thought they were too short she would make you kneel down and would measure from skirt hem to knee. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

She used to watch us walk out of assembly and would check colour of our tights & length of our skirts (mini skirts were in). If she thought they were too short she would make you kneel down and would measure from skirt hem to knee. 

Oh yes, it was the same at The Manning. Did you have regulation knicker inspection too? There's a hair on your collar, girl. Get it tied back!  

There was a thing about fringes being in your eyes which was the fashion. My friend had hers cut at school by Miss Thompson I think. It ended up about 3 inches long. Can’t remember knicker inspection but can remember us all surrounding one girl who came to school wearing black tights, supposed to be flesh coloured & really thick, so she wouldn’t get caught. Very racy for that time black tights.

School uniform regulations can be very baffling. A granddaughter of mine attends George Spencer Academy, and have been told not to wear short trainer socks, as no ankle whatsoever is to be shown. Ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, BilboroughShirley said:

30 denier stockings with seams up the back! I had forgotten all about them. Best not remembered. I recall one girl being in trouble for wearing ones with a diamond pattern on. They were good!

At Carlton-le-Willows we wore thickish grey ribbed tights in the winter, can’t remember what was school policy in the summer, ankle socks for younger girls and I suppose something lighter than American Tan In the summer! 

This has reminded me that I had a pair of tights with beetles all over them, well it was the Beatles era after all :victory:

Edited to add that I never wore the beetle tights to school ! 

• Like 1

We had to wear light tan tights with seams. Total nitemare. I can remember when the Beatles came to Nottingham for a concert. Teachers trawled town and rounded up pupils who were there waiting for them to arrive. Not me I was a Rolling Stones fan.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 3:46 PM, Stavertongirl said:

I really liked Mr Downing his classes were one of the few I enjoyed. The punching incident happened when we had to wait outside a classroom, can’t remember why. We were all lined up & when Mr Downing arrived he was not happy at us all being outside the room. Don’t know why it happened but he suddenly punched the boy in the stomach which doubled him over. From what I can remember we were sent into class minus the boy. Never heard what happened after. 

My daughter went to Bilborough Sixth Form College as it became, in the 1980s and she was taught A-level history by Mr Downing. She really liked him.

He was one of the few teachers whose classes I enjoyed. He made them interesting, think he started my interest in history.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

If there's anyone here from the 1967 intake (O Levels 1972, A Levels 1974), Alan Bird is organising a class reunion in Nottingham in August. A Facebook page is going to be organised or if you PM me I can give you Alan's e mail address. Apparently about 40 people are interested in going so far.

It will probably be the first time most of us have met up in 45 years!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Look at the dates of the posts Philip. That’s all you can go on but no-one knows how many people browse as ‘guests’ and never feel the need to become a proper member.   At least Bilborough Grammar has its own thread, more than can be said for the school I went to. 

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Bilborough Grammar in the 60’s but before the 67 intake and do monitor postings to see if anyone I knew surfaces. Hope your reunion goes well.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:57 AM, Stavertongirl said:

I went to Bilborough Grammar in the 60’s but before the 67 intake and do monitor postings to see if anyone I knew surfaces. Hope your reunion goes well.

Spoke to Alan last night. He's doing really well tracking down people. One person he's struggling with is David Sellors (or possibly Sellers). He was incredibly bright and probably went to a top university. If anyone knows of his whereabouts please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone on here who did their A Levels a year or two before and after me (1974)? I was gobsmacked when I found out yesterday that only NINE people in our year passed all 3 A Levels. If that happened today Bilborough would be classed as a failing school! I wondered if it was a one off or whether other years had similarly low pass rates.

I did my A Levels at BGS in 1975 and passed 3.  Don't know the figures for our year, but can think of quite a few who passed 3, certainly more than 9, I would think. Something a bit dodgy, though, about A Level French grades that year!

• Like 1

I've always been proud of my Grade 9 in English Lit O Level! I didn't dare to resit it, though I did have to resit English Language because it was essential if you wanted to go to Uni. I went up from a Grade 8 to a Grade 3 in a year.

It’s funny how all the things you’re taught at school never crop up in later life. My Latin is only useful in deciphering ancient gravestones and I’ve never seen a quadratic equation. As for calculus - what was that for? A grasp of Ohm’s law and Newton’s Laws of Motion is all you ever need to get by.:biggrin:

• Like 1

I always thought a quadratic equation was a move for four horses in synchronised showjumping !

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I got my ‘O’ level English language which was what I needed for my job in Boots offices on Station Street, they trained me to be an audio typist the “new thing” at that time, shows how long ago it was! From what I can remember if you didn’t stay on in the 6th form/go to college the girls were funnelled to Boots, not sure about the boys. I think William Sharp (as it was then) tended to end up at Players. There was a boy in my year who wanted to train as a chef, his parents had to fight to get him into the cookery class as he needed the exam qualification. I can remember a cake he did it was amazing. I think his name was Michael Bowen but could be wrong, it was a long time ago.