Said it before & will say it agen ! Did nobody attend Radford Boulevard school ? I very much enjoy reading about all your escapades at all the different schools, BGS, FFGS, Padstow, Henry Whipple etc, etc. But I gotta admit it does sadden me that I never read about anybody who went to my school. It just occurred to me, maybe my school inmates were never clever enough to enrol on NS., it were only a secondary school, not quite the same category as yer clever grammar school kids. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just joined today and have read with interest this forum. I have only just moved back to Bilborough after more years than I care to remember. I was at BGS during the 60’s and this has brought b

I always thought a quadratic equation was a move for four horses in synchronised showjumping !

You're obviously in a class of your own Beekay!   I've said many times how much I detested Manning. I started school when I was 4 and by the age of 11, I'd had enough of it. It wouldn't real

Posted Images

beekay. I went to a secondary modern and had an excellent education. I loved every minute and didn't want to leave.  It seems like some on here went to grammar school and hated it. 

• Like 3

But some loved their Grammar. schools, like me (and Lizzie! ).  Maybe Carlton le Willows  was enjoyable for me because it was brand new when I started and there were no traditions to uphold.   Most of the teachers  were fair and we metaphorically built the school together.   It gave me a very good education and I can only speak well of it.   

• Like 3

Same here for me at Mellish. Seven very happy years there. It was very academic. Most of my year group went to university or the professions. I know lots of people to go to university these days but back then there were fewer places so you had to reach a high standard to get in. I always looked forward to going to school in the mornings!

• Like 2

I also went to a secondary modern school. I've written about some of my experiences in my early days on here. I recall they were entitled NOOB.

My schooling was pretty useless and I consider myself self-taught in many of the things to do with life or living.

I've done reasonably well - some of it due to luck and a lot to do with hard work. If you read some of my past posts on here you will see that I live near the French Riviera in a large(ish) villa that overlooks the Bay of Cannes and, on a clear day, I can see as far as Corsica. I can afford to employ domestic staff (which is not unusual here) mainly because I am physically disabled now (I also have a full time carer/valet/driver). I'm trying not to boast but to point out that education is not the be-all and end-all of one's existence. I also own property in England (which I am selling urgently as I have  now taken French citizenship and will soon, most likely, be classified as a foreigner in the country of my birth).

I hated my time at school. Naff premises, naff teachers who gave little or no encouragement to anyone.  Thanks to People's /College and the Technical College on Burton Street for giving me some direction in life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Said it before & will say it agen ! Did nobody attend Radford Boulevard school ? I very much enjoy reading about all your escapades at all the different schools, BGS, FFGS, Padstow, Henry Whipple etc, etc. But I gotta admit it does sadden me that I never read about anybody who went to my school. 

You're obviously in a class of your own Beekay!

I've said many times how much I detested Manning. I started school when I was 4 and by the age of 11, I'd had enough of it. It wouldn't really have mattered where I went, I'd have hated it.  Aged 11, I desperately wanted to work on the biscuit counter in Woolworths. I have never been ambitious and money or possessions mean little to me. My overriding aim in life has been to follow my own path, think, study and work out the point of the journey. Manning didn't shed much light on any of that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

When I  posted it was with tongue firmly in cheek. I did enjoy my school years, though there ups and downs. I remember some of my teachers encouraged me to carry on with education with the aim of going to art college,  but my parents had other idea's.  They wanted me out at work and earning as soon as possible. Hence leaving school on Friday  and at the pit the following Monday . We, my brothers and I,  always said we werent brought up, we were dragged up. Made me detemined to do the best I could. Looking back, no regrets.

• Like 1

BK, even though you didn't go to Art College, talent has a way of 'pushing through' whatever your path in life and however old you are.... and you now have your own gallery here on Nottstalgia!  When you think of all the members on here (how many are active CT?) it's not a bad platform for someone who was 'dragged up'. (Your words, BK, not mine).   I love seeing your work xx.   Do you still do watercolour landscapes as well?  

Hi Margie, in answer to your question, yes I  do still do waterclour, sometimes do it when I'm  planning a picture. Trouble is I'm running short of hanging space on me walls. In  limbo at the moment as I've  finished all my narrowboat artwork. But that depends on what sister in law brings down. She's  not seen the bathtub or watering can yet, unless she's  on Nottstalgia !

Hope she will be suprised.

Ps. Don't  know if you've  noticed, but have tweeked me Avatar a bit.:rolleyes:

Thank you Denshaw, restores my faith in life in humanity. At least someone went to Boulevard. Shan't  say owt more. Don't  want to monopolise somebody else's  thread.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 1:05 PM, Stavertongirl said:

The best thing about that place was shaking the dust off my feet as I finally left.

Yep.  I wiped my feet on the way out too!

Seven hateful years.  I shudder even now to think of what I went through.

I don't say any of this to show off, but as a matter of record...

I left with four Os and no As.  

Then got a B.A. Hons 2.1.

Then worked in central London for a few years, directing and producing a good few world-famous actors and actresses, and a good sprinkling of DJs and celebrities (back when celebrities actually deserved the title!).

Then ran my own comms business, working in many disparate countries for corporations, governments and royalty.

Then retired early, and now spend my time traveling the world - away for 5 - 6 months a year on average.

A good, fun life.

DESPITE BILBOROUGH GRAMMAR SCHOOL!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I did go on to have a quite successful working life after I left, most of it due to the first manager who I worked for. I learnt more useful things from him in a couple of years than all my time at the grammar school. He became my mentor, obviously didn’t think I was stupid and wouldn’t amount to much as the grammar school had said. I knew he was always there to advise even after I wasn’t working with him any more. It was a great loss when he passed away.
Although it wasn’t as illustrious as your career I enjoyed every minute of it and I think what I learnt from him still stands me in good stead even now. 
As you said despite my, what I consider wasted years, at the grammar school.

• 6 months later...

Whilst contemplating my navel, during isolation, thoughts for no apparent reason, drifted back to Bilborough....
Remembering the snow ploughs cutting a path through the snow drifts on the top road (health and safety, humbug) just meant lots of freshly moved snow as ammunition for the snow ball fights with William Sharp !

Five years spent trying to be educated by the most part enthusiastic teachers (they failed miserably, as I left with NO GCE’s and to this day 53 years later, the flimsy result slip nestles in my wallet !).

Met friends there who are still friends, started fencing there which I then carried on for another 45 years.... so both good and shall we say, not so good memories....

I guess you are recalling the winter of 62-63. A wonderful winter when we never played hockey! I hated sport as the PE teachers were so unpleasant.

The teaching killed any interest in Shakespeare. I failed literature. The best part was the excellent company of my friends and the enjoyment of A-level chemistry explosions and filling the physics lab with smoke. I was guilty of dropping radioactive isotopes on the floor!  We were lethal!

I cannot remember my last day there.  I was so happy to get out and get on with my life. What came after was of greater importance. 

• 10 months later...

I was told this by an old schoolfriend who organised a reunion in 2019. Mr Jacob was there and it was a pleasure to meet up with him again. He was still mentally sharp too, and said he remembered me (from 45 years ago!). Sad he's gone, but most of us would be more than happy to reach that age with our mind still intact. He was quite a character.

11 hours ago, annswabey said:

Yes, Alan, he was a nice man and a good teacher. I always thought of him as quite ancient, but when I was say 14, he was only late 30's!

Yes, me too, maybe it was the baldness and the moustache but I always thought he was near retirement age so I was surprised when someone on this thread a few years ago said he was still alive! I recall he was the only teacher (well apart from the Headmaster) who wore his academic gown in lessons. He also ran the stamp club which I was a member of.

• 1 month later...