On 2/2/2022 at 12:28 PM, Astwood said:

Taff who died after an injury in a Rugby Match, was Anthony Harvey, who at the time, was going out with Liz Clipson, I believe. Think he lived on Melbury. There was a commemorative tree outside the main entrance but don't know if it is still there since the school was knocked down. There was also one to a girl who was knocked over riding her bike and, I think, one to Mick Winkley who was killed with his family in France. His brother survved the crash.

That's correct about Taff - a great bloke and a traumatic event for our whole year when he died.  I think he got a knee in the head in the first half of a match and felt a bit groggy, but played the second half nevertheless. He started to feel unwell that evening and was rushed to head injury unit at Derby hospital, but didn't recover. 
Head injurys in rugby - still a hot topic more than 50 years later!
My brother, Bill, later married Liz. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just joined today and have read with interest this forum. I have only just moved back to Bilborough after more years than I care to remember. I was at BGS during the 60’s and this has brought b

I always thought a quadratic equation was a move for four horses in synchronised showjumping !

You're obviously in a class of your own Beekay!   I've said many times how much I detested Manning. I started school when I was 4 and by the age of 11, I'd had enough of it. It wouldn't real

Posted Images

On 2/6/2021 at 5:49 PM, annswabey said:

There's a Death Notice in the local paper today for Cyril Jacob "former teacher of English at Bilborough College" He died on 28/1/21, aged 88

It sounds like quite a few members saw Mr Jacobs over the last few years.  Sadly, I never made it to one of the reunions and didn't come across him again.
I took the attached classroom photo in what looks as if it was a German lesson, although I only ever remember having him for French. That's Taff Harvey on the left.

Bilborough, Cyril Jacobs Small.jpg

Do any of you Bilborough Grammar folk remember my cousins Jim and Celia Hewitt?  Jim was born around 1952 and Celia around 1956 I think.  They lived in Wollaton.  

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Do any of you Bilborough Grammar folk remember my cousins Jim and Celia Hewitt?  Jim was born around 1952 and Celia around 1956 I think.  They lived in Wollaton.  

Did they go to Bilborough, Lizzie?  The names don't ring a bell with me but my sister was born in '55 so would have been around the same school year and might recognise the names. Do you know where they lived?

I was in the same year as Taff, can remember him and Elizabeth Clipson, she had really long hair, in the year below us. I had left before his accident as he stayed on, but can remember being told about it. I was told he was knocked out and left on side of field to come round and was then sent home. Became ill later and was taken to hospital where he passed. 
He was very fond of a girl called Heather in our year, can’t remember her second name, but she wasn’t interested.

2 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

He was very fond of a girl called Heather in our year, can’t remember her second name, but she wasn’t interested.

Hi Stavertongirl, I remember an attractive girl called Heather. I think her parents had a shop at the junction of Wollaton Rd and Russell Dr,  opposite the Wheelhouse pub and I seem to remember her Dad drove a Cadillac; very exotic in those days. Do you think she was the one? Dark curly hair, I think.

Yes she had dark curly hair, don’t know about the rest she wasn’t in our group of friends.

Just popped into my head from nowhere - Heather Moult, I think.

Anybody else remember her?