Moobug

Bilborough Grammar School

I got my ‘O’ level English language which was what I needed for my job in Boots offices on Station Street, they trained me to be an audio typist the “new thing” at that time, shows how long ago it was! From what I can remember if you didn’t stay on in the 6th form/go to college the girls were funnelled to Boots, not sure about the boys. I think William Sharp (as it was then) tended to end up at Players. There was a boy in my year who wanted to train as a chef, his parents had to fight to get him into the cookery class as he needed the exam qualification. I can remember a cake he did it was amazing. I think his name was Michael Bowen but could be wrong, it was a long time ago.

It is good to read the post about failing English Literature. I am in good company on this site! I failed Literature. Thankfully Miss Thompson said there was no point in me retaking it as I was doing all three sciences at A level! I would have refused anyway. I have always loved reading but the literature at BGS was dire! Hated it. Having to read deadly books just to answer exam questions was a pointless exercise for me. Last year we visited the St John's Museum in London. An amazing place and on the guided tour we were shown the room where Shakespeare an writers of his time had to go and have their works vetted before they were performed. It made my day when we learned that Shakespeare had a play banned! All about Thomas Beckett and on the manuscript was written "perform at your peril!! This is in the British Library and you can view it on their website. The best bit of Shakespeare! I prefer reading Margaret Attwood.

• Like 1

Brilliant post Shirley..Androcles And The Lion by George Bernard Shaw was also subject matter that year...i won through in the end..after a resit...and ended up in The Rufford Arms drinking..as i was not confident i had passed.

• Like 1

Sorry not to have posted for a while but have been very busy. I'm retired now but having moved backed to Bilborough into the house on Wigman Road which I grew up in, I have plenty to do bringing it up to my wife's exacting standards. I was at BGS from 1962 until 1967. It was not a very happy ride. A long spell of pneumonia in my first term set me back so much that I never really caught up. I remember being in 1c with Miss Louden in charge. Enough to put anyone off school. Most of the teachers were fine and given that I was a rebel and could never keep that hole under my nose zipped up, it's a wonder that I was never expelled.

Mr Kirton, the metalwork teacher used to give us work to do and then clear off and chat up the female domestic science teachers. When this happened, I used to accompany my friend making half crowns. I didn't smoke at the time but my friend (The late Pete Truman - member name Firbeck) used to have the ciggies we used the home made half crowns to obtain from the machine at the top of Aspley Lane. Since the 18 Senior Service had a two shilling piece sellataped to it, that was my half of the booty. Aren't teenage lads little s..ts? Happy days. Fortunately my English teacher, Mr Jacobs instilled into me a love of the English Language and I now belong to a writing group at St. Martin of Tours Church in Bilborough Village. 

Despite my waywardness, I did belong to the Junior Scripture Union and later, The Senior Christian Fellowship, both run by Keith (Polly) Flinders, who also ran the Railway Society. Anyone know what happened to him?

• Upvote 1

It's good to have you back Bilbraborn. Many of us have missed your railway related posts, and your and Petes associated antics. 

Really miss Peters posts. He was a good mate and as teenagers we got into some right scrapes. Still don't know how he died.