A Few More Old Photos

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a photo  but this has appeared on facebook It's St Peters Square/Wheeler Gate about 1880

What is the Building to the right of St Peters Churh with the columns and bow front all pictures are pre 1914

RE water connection Remember as a child when mam took me into Nottingham on the trolley bus from Radford she would always ask the conductor for one & a half to "The Fountain" I always thought tha

Re: the St Peter's M&S photo

church-1.jpg

In those days there was a road between the church and the M&S building called St Peter's Church Side. That continued on to Pepper Street which came out on Bridlesmith Gate. That was all closed off when M&S expanded in the mid 60s.

You can also see St Peter's Church Walk behind the church - which is still there but not a through route - and Church Gate which went through to Low Pavement.

M&S built over a lot of thoroughfares back in the 60s.

peter.jpg

mentioned in another topic re someone going through a shop window corner of King Street, early 1970's a mate finished up going through the doors of Marks and Spencers seen on the photo on an old harley, luckily the doors were open!

Re Bulwell Hall, 1960s/70's you could walk in the site of it, not the ruins, as nothing left but the foundations could be seen

Might be the old Corporation Water Works. Found this

Nottingham Contemporary’s lace depicts cherry blossom. The design was in a book of lace samples, placed in a time capsule by an unknown Victorian in 1847, and buried underneath the Nottingham Corporation Water Works where the main Marks & Spencers now stands. The lace came from the factory of Richard Birkin, one of the largest and most innovative lace producers. Birkin himself was three times Lord Mayor of Nottingham

http://www.nottinghamcontemporary.org/our-building

Yes there's a golf course there but I'm not sure if called Bulwell Hall or Bulwell Forest Golf Club?, There was actually a "railway station" built on the GCR in 1909 for golfers! it lasted till 1930 though as it's name Bulwell Hall Halt suggests it was merely 2 300 yds long wooden platforms. The Hall itself was as I recall built in the wooded area to the north west of the present football pitch and golf course

The building at the junction of Albert street and Saint Peters church side, as shown on the map posted by Cliff ton, is marked on an 1899 map as a municipal office. I am not sure if that is the building that is mentioned in the first post.

Taxi Ray is right on that one. The building wasn't M&S back in the days of the original photo.

Here's a closer and earlier map (1880s) which shows it clearly marked as Municpal Offices.

And on the subject of Water Works as mentioned by mgread1200, note the building on St Peter's Gate which is marked " Council Water Works Offices". So there's a water connection, but not exactly a water works.

water.jpg

Interesting that there are FOUR pubs on that section of map! (And only one church!)

Also the Nottingham County Court, which in later years became a pub.

The licence for which was transfered from The Dog and Bear when it closed as

a pub to become a Wittard's Tea store

Yes there's a golf course there but I'm not sure if called Bulwell Hall or Bulwell Forest Golf Club?, There was actually a "railway station" built on the GCR in 1909 for golfers! it lasted till 1930 though as it's name Bulwell Hall Halt suggests it was merely 2 300 yds long wooden platforms. The Hall itself was as I recall built in the wooded area to the north west of the present football pitch and golf course

Nottingham City Golf club is on Norwich Gardens Bulwell which is the edge of Bulwell Hall. Bulwell Forest Golf Club is on Bulwell Forest at the side of the A611 Hucknall Road

I did know it wasn't M and S by the way , I was just being faseshus faeseashus fasecious sarkasticsarrchastic silly

Where Wilkinson is now ?

Wilkos on Parliament Street was a Coop store in the 70s and had a car park on the roof.

It was built in a similar style to Hucknall Coop.

I am sure it was single story due to the rooftop parking?

nottingham2.jpg

looks like the boots shop that was built on parliament street where the old entrance to victoria station was? have a look at picture the past

I reckon that's it. This shows what was to the right of it http://www.pictureth...017402&prevUrl=

Where Wilkinson is now ?

No, other side of the road opposite Wilko

RE water connection

Remember as a child when mam took me into Nottingham on the trolley bus from Radford she would always ask the conductor for one & a half to "The Fountain" I always thought that was slab square but I'm sure we used to get off near Woolworth's. Just wondering if she new Lister Gate area by another name. Anyone know anything

• Upvote 1

Single storey more likely as it was built on a bridge, trains ran under it, I don't recall any roof parking? if it is that site to the left of it was an interesting old shop, sold walking sticks, penknives, copper watering cans and other weird things,

top pic shows original entrance

bottom shows part of shop on bridge

SWScan00049.jpg

I dont think where the COOP was located was over the track. I could be wrong?

I think the track was below the new building on parliament street next to the dog and bear pub?

I dont think where the COOP was located was over the track. I could be wrong?

I think the track was below the new building on parliament street next to the dog and bear pub?

This is the scene before any of the supermarkets were constructed. The small chalet-type place with an arched roof (between all the white posters) was an entrance to Victoria Station, and the railway lines were below it

http://www.pictureth...001411&prevUrl=