A Few More Old Photos

Thanks Cliff

That appears to be right then

When referring to Entrance to Victoria Station, I though it meant main entrance.

I did not know there was one on the opposite side of Parliament Street.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a photo  but this has appeared on facebook It's St Peters Square/Wheeler Gate about 1880

What is the Building to the right of St Peters Churh with the columns and bow front all pictures are pre 1914

RE water connection Remember as a child when mam took me into Nottingham on the trolley bus from Radford she would always ask the conductor for one & a half to "The Fountain" I always thought tha

It appears I've dropped a clanger in thinking when someone mentioned the "co op" I wrongly assumed they were talking of the Boots/Burtons shop, hence my photos of that showing it on the bridge, I also may have confused the shops to the left thinking they were one larger one? (also no idea where the dog and bear was, lol)

It's the same Pearson's, but not in the same place ;) At some stage, they crossed the road. In Lynmee's photo you are looking up towards Derby Road; when Pearson's eventually closed they had moved to the other side.

On this later photo, look at the white building with the clock sticking out - on the left of the Odeon. That same clock is on the original photo.

odeon.jpg

• Upvote 1

I've got them listed as perambulator manufacturers in 1915 (as shows in both pictures) and three doors up another Pearson listed as a basket maker,though they were probably up an alleyway.Maybe they went into general furnishings when they moved...and changed the name to a simple 'Pearsons'

12 Angel Row has been home to the following company names between 1876 & 1915 continuing until closure.:

Frederick Pearson

F. Pearson & Son Ltd

Pearson & Son

F. Pearson & Son

Pearson, Wright & Co.

Pearson & Pearson

Pearson Bros (Nottingham) Ltd was incorporated in 1932.

I cannot see any link other than the surname but it is plausable that they are connected somewhere.

Seem to remember a fire of some sort. Wasn't the building being renovated or updated, and then a few "homeless" types took up residence for the night on Pearson's roof or in the pipework or somewhere....and in an effort to keep warm had decided to light a fire.

Made a mess of all the renovation up to that point, and I'm not sure what happened after that

Pearson Brothers was one of those lovely stores that you could just walk round in and browse - no need to buy anything. There were two entrances; on the one on Parliament Street if you looked up high you would have seen a magnificent set of inlaid sculptures. I wonder what happened to them?

• 1 year later...

Just out of interest was Bulwell hall golf course built on the same site as the hall or is that somewhere else. played both the Bulwell courses years ago but was taken there and it's not an area of Nottingham I know very well

No it was built next to the railway bridge - accessed via the top of Lawton Drive where Springfield schools were when I last visited in 2006. The site of Bulwell Hall was a car park back then about a half mile from the Golf Club House

DaveJ

re the golf course, think within the grounds of the old hall? (hence the name?) only guessing though, also dropped a bolak (that's turkish for fish, always raised a laugh going in ally amazan's chip shop in icmeler asking for bolak and chips) I said Bulwell Hall Halt platforms 2,300 yds long, not sure if I meant FEET or 230 yards!

There was another hall (I think), Dob Park? had never heard of it but was told over 20 years ago that for a short while when built GNR's station at Catchems Corner was called that after the land it was built on, bit like the later Bulwell Hall Halt? Can recall the name Dobby bridge when a kid but never wondered why so called.. Was also told the still there Oakley Lodge Social club building was the station masters house, but seems far too large and grand for that?

There was another hall (I think), Dob Park? had never heard of it but was told over 20 years ago that for a short while when built GNR's station at Catchems Corner was called that after the land it was built on, bit like the later Bulwell Hall Halt? Can recall the name Dobby bridge when a kid but never wondered why so called..

According to the Michael Vanns book on the history of Nottingham railways, when the GN line opened in 1875"....the station was originally called Dob Park...but changed its name after only a few months to Basford and Bulwell"

Sounds like my informant had read that book! There was another Hall in Old Basford, Sycamore Hall which was somewhere in the grounds of Murphy;s (former Prince of Wales Brewery) from what I gather towards the lower part of it (Church St/Lincoln st) my mother recalled living there for a short time after my grandfather moved to Nottingham from Harrogate to be the manager at Murphys, I think this was about 1920/21 she said the only lighting in it was oil (parafin?) lamps which they carried from room to room. They shared the place with another family, sadly the young son of that one was killed when some barrels in the yard rolled and crushed him