The Globe Cinema

Guest a5h4w

Guest a5h4w

Pics of the old Globe cinema brought back memories of the 'tanner rush' on saturday afternoons around about the 60s .. Lash La Rue/Flash Gordon/Abbot & Costello/Batman etc.. Total mayhem in there whilst the films were shown .. then came time for the exit, and the side door was throw open .. seemed like hundreds of bodies plyed for the escape! .. when you did eventually surface into the oxygen rich air and bright light you somehow felt 'phazed' for a few seconds .. but the adrenalin soon kicked back in .. and off you went !

were you there ?

AL.

The Globe Cinema, I think closed down prior to me moving to Nottingham in 63.

If that was the one at the end of London and Arkwright Street.

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/jpgh2/NTGM006652.jpg

NTGM006652.jpg

There were a few Cinemas in the Meadows area. There was one on Wilford Grove.

Also one not far from Queens Drive Nick!. Can't remeber the name, or road.

I must dig out that old 60's map of Nottingham.

Guest a5h4w

Yes the Globe was situated opposite Turneys leather factory at Trent Bridge, and the sidedoor opened out towards the Bridge .. The Grove cinema was situated on the corner of Mayfield Grove and Kirk White st. .. I can remember seeing films there (Hercules Unchained) but can't remember any kids matinees being shown...

Going back to Turneys leatherworks ... I passed the factory every day on my way to school, and never once saw anybody entering or leaving the place.. likewise any traffic enter or leave .. and yet if you look at the aerial shots it seems as big as Buckingham palace - you'd have thought it would have been a hive of activity. .. but even if you study the photos there doesn't look like there's much happening .. maybe it was all top secret stuff !

AL.

Not sure if you are still in Nottingham, but you might be interested in

The Globe Public House.(LINK)

Appears theres a pub there now?

tram_gallery_350_05.jpg

(Globe Cinema, Trent Bridge c.1933)

The Globe cinema was demolished in 1969 to make way for gardens. Trent Bridge is just behind where the photographer took this picture.

I don't know when the Globe closed but it was certainly boarded up when I came

to Nottm in 1963.

The picture in previouse message was taken in the 1920's Thats why the Globe does not appear

Guest a5h4w

I live in Ilkeston and regularly travel through the meadows area .. don't have any affiliation with the new setup at all, other than very few landmarks.. Midland Station, Trent Embankment, and not much else ! .. the closing of the Globe must have closely co-incided with your arrival in 63 .. I left TB in 63, and at that time lived on the otherside of London road, so travelled by the picture house every day on my way to school - but can't remember when it was actually boarded up...

The 'tanner rush' was probably pre 60s, as I used to go to Arkwright juniors at that time and can remember going there 'wi mi mates' ..

Somebody out there knows the exact date of closure and ought to tell us !

AL.

• Upvote 1

In the 20's aerial photo, the end of meadow lane can be seen. There is very little built at that time. I was an apprentice with the Co-op working on Meadow Lane during late 60's to Middle 70's. In the area that can be seen, the Co-op had a coal yard, Shoe repair factory, Pop factory, Dairy, and I think there was a Skin shed there belonging to the Coop too. It used to stink!

Further down was the Coop Bakery, Garage, transport compound, fruit and veg depot and Pork Factory. (remember this dreadful Scotish woman walking through trays of sausage meat, which had been left on the floor, with her welly boots!)

In the building which I think still exists opposite the Meadow Lane cattlel market entrance. Seen here on the left.

NTGM000857.jpg

It has copper turrets on the roof, the upstairs used to house their dray horses. In the 60's this was the co-op transport office. It still smelled of horses.

Guest a5h4w

I too used to work on meadow lane at the co-op bakery around the time 65 to 72 ish.. retail bakery roundsman.. it did indeed use to stink .. but you had Turneys leatherworks, the Cattle market and abbatoir .. but the biggest stench of all was Bitterlings at the bottom of Holme street.- pure unadulterated stench ! .. don't know what year it was shutdown but believe me the flags went up when it did..

On the other side of the coin was the bakery with its freshly made bread and cakes - now that was pure nirvana to be greeted with in the mornings !

the canteen on meadow lane served a mean bacon cob too - bet you can remember them ! :)

AL.

Yes indeedy!

The canteen in the morning 10am break, three rounds of cheese and tomatoe on toast! with bags of Salt & Pepper on. And a big mug of tea. The canteen was that good that the council dustmen used to use it as well. If it was still going, I would use it still.

You might remember the big old greengrocery shop vans that used to go out and sell on the different estates as well.

The bakery had a little shop next to the electricity substation that sold cakes and bread to the staff.

I remember also in the canteen, the 'Feccy Girls' from the bakery, one in particular, 'Ginger', she certainly did not originated from 'Bread & Lard Island'(West Bridgeford).

Guest a5h4w

The left turn arrow in the photo would take you over the river Trent and into West Bridgford via a converted railway bridge .. on the exact opposite side of the river and to the left of the bridge was Trent Pool where TB school use to hold their sports days etc., and in the summer we used to play cricket and football .. it was an excellent day out down there, and can remember the walk from Green street, over Trent Bridge, then by the boat clubs, and the Forest football ground .. seem to remember it was Smedley who mainly led the crocodile..

re the co-op - the only greengrocer I can remember was an elderly chap who wore a nicky hat, and drove one of the open electric floats, it used to be loaded with spuds and festooned with onions etc..

The electric floats were a pain .. slow and forever running short on juice - it was nice when you got to drive the new fangled diesel CA Bedford - pure bliss !

at least you could get up to 30mph ! :lol:

seem to remember it was Smedley who mainly led the crocodile..

I think you mean Medley...

No doubt he had his copy of 'Moonfleet' in hand and 'Osmeroid' pen in pocket.

Here he is now..

2798479.jpg

3M1 1966

I am standing next to him on the middle row.

I remember Trent pool. We used it for Cricket in the summer.

I used to sit with my mate, and watch them in the nets, from the railway embankment, whilst trains ran above on what is now a road.

Guest a5h4w

It must have been an awesome sight to see .. an highly disciplined troupe wending its way over the Trent Bridge onward towards its ultimate goal, with each boy in perfect step with the other, and the master-in-charge with head held high, proudly leading the way !

Yes - Mr. Medley is who I meant, a fine teacher.. was it he who decided that we all use the italic writing system ? .. (preferably using THAT writing implement) and does anyone still use the italic at all ?, personally I soon dropped it off after leaving school, finding it too slow in day to day work.

BTW .. what year did TB become multisex? .. we weren't trained to mix with other lifeform other than males in our era ! .. looks like you lot had a cushy time !.

AL.

Guest a5h4w

It was also Mr. Medley who led his elite troupe to the Portland swimming baths on Muskam street for the weekly dip .. often we would arrive there and within five minutes of swimming the whistle would blow and we would have to get out and get changed - it all seemed a waste of time .. now my mate and I got fed up with this and decided we'd hang back and go sit in the balcony and play cards/pocket chess etc. instead of swimming... this bacame a regular occurence, and after several weeks of doing this we were eventually spotted .. he went totally ballistic ! ... can't remember what the punishment was though, he wasn't an harsh teacher..

now Portland leisure centre @ 1986

NTGM003774.jpg

AL.

I too remember these baths.

We used to enter and leave down the right hand side.

The water was'nt heated. I remember leaving in the winter to walk back to school.

I was almost glowing, even in the cold weather. Having dried and put on my clothes. Boy that water must have been cold.

I think Medley was a bit of a Swimmer?

Guest a5h4w

Reckon they sent us round the back so as not to alert the public to the rabble they were letting in !

Used to sit in class afterwards stinking of chlorine, hair like straw, and usually the right ear blocked solid with water - wasn't so bad if it were maths though - didn't understand a thing what was being said anyway !

Al.

Reckon they sent us round the back so as not to alert the public to the rabble they were letting in !

Used to sit in class afterwards stinking of chlorine, hair like straw, and usually the right ear blocked solid with water - wasn't so bad if it were maths though - didn't understand a thing what was being said anyway !

Al.

:lol:

I forgot about the smell of chlorine. And why was it always the right ear?

The math’s teacher in my day was a chap called Humphries, who was a wizard with the cane. I saw him at school assembly, punish someone in front of the school. He stool the guy in the middle of the hall with his arm outstretched.

Humphries walked up to the end of the hall near the headmaster’s office and took a run at it. Wielding his trusty cane in the air upon arrival he brought the cane sharply down on the lad’s hand. He then walked calmly back flexing the cane, and repeated the procedure three times. When you were caned by Humphries, you knew you had been caned.

I don't know who the lad was but, I believe he survives unscathed to this day.

Whatever he did to deserve the punishment, he probably never repeated. :rolleyes:

Caning is deserving of a topic of it's own. I have started one >>HERE<<

Guest a5h4w

Ah Humphries - he was maths teacher early 60s too, and he knew his stuff .. but he might as well been speaking in Swahili for what use it was to me, I was a maths dyslexic in those days, and double maths - well they were a real treat - I just used to sit there in a state of shock !

I remember he used to display a cane near the blackboard, but can't remember him ever using it - he probably became disillusioned in later years due to the large amount of deaf pupils he encountered ! , and this might have been the cause of his outburst that you describe ! :lol:

AL.

• 9 months later...

You must all have been after me... I was at TB in the 50,s, then it was mixed class till senoirs and then it split into boys and girls. I use to be in the school track and field, we would walk to the Trent Pool Field for practice, and also we had our school sports day there.

I also remember The Globe Pictures, I use to go with my brother for the "3 penny rush" on Saturdays, and later I did a lot of my "courting" there, also remember the Grove Pictures on Kirkwhite street. Ah those were the days, who was to know where we would end up... I miss the old days

I remember Meadow Lane and the Stink from Bitterlings, My Aunt worked there, she said it didnt smell inside, but it sure made up for it outside.

as a kid, my brother and I use to go to the cattle market to see the animals, and we always use to end up in the slaughter house and watch the cows being killed, Kids are so blood thirsty.

G'day Norma

I see you live in Oz too. I have a heap of pics of TBS I will go through my folders & email them to you soon.Hope you had a good birthday.

Caz :)

I remember Meadow Lane and the Stink from Bitterlings, My Aunt worked there, she said it didnt smell inside, but it sure made up for it outside.

It was Bitterlings to the left, and Turney's to the right, with the cattle market bang in the centre, and all in glorious smelloramaâ„¢ :blink:

the only saving grace being the Co-op bakery on Meadow lane, whereby the stench would be masked for a short period of time during the early morning baking

a brief respite which was heavenly bliss! :P

ilko..

• 8 years later...