Broxtowe Lane shops

Shops I remember on Broxtowe Lane in the 1950's...

AYRES Chemist

MEADOW DAIRY Food

CHAMBERS Butcher

HADLUMS Fish Shop

MELLORS Grocer

FOWLERS Newsagent

CO-OP

PRESTONS Hardware

I hope someone will remember the others for me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#93. I might have mentioned this before - the barmen in the Cocked Hat stood on duck-boards. I was at the bar one night when a barman rang the till and the drawer flew out without stopping.out scatter

# 10 notice the window dressing,special offers changed every 2 weeks at marsdens/farrands,and the window display reflected this,the only thing i ever got a certificate for was window dressing. i wa

Hi davep5491 Is this who you mean?

Posted Images

We used to call them: 'Top Shops' and there was a set of three (50's):

Walking up the long Broxtowe Lane the first set of shops began at 'Lucy Briggs' wool shop.

Second set began at the 'Co-op' (just after the 'Cocked Hat)

And third set began at - I'm not quite sure - but another 'Co-op' was placed almost at the beginning.

I was an 'errand girl' - and paid well - for almost everybody on Amesbury Circus; the first set of shops was my regular.

There was a Freemans, an early edition of a supermarket and a post office placed at the end of the first set of shops.

I seem t remember a smaller shop than the Co-op as being the first shop after the Cocked Hat, maybe fish and chips? Val would know. The 3rd set was at the junction of Broxtowe Lane and Aspley Lane. I never went to these shops, too far I expect. There were also 2 sets of shops on the lower half of Broxtowe Lane, starting opposite the John Barleycorn.

The shops next to the Cocked Hat as far as I can remember were the chemist then Hadlums fish and chips, Mellors the grocers,Fowlers the newsagents and then the Co-op not sure whether the small shop you refer to was the co-op butchers although we always got our meat from the butchers near Coleby Road..

Bottom end (Cinderhill) was Heywoods the grocers, Priestleys hardware, Fish and chip shop, Smeetons butchers, Fords, Marsdens, Hairdressers or Barbers, and Cinderhill pharmacy.

I may have some wrong or missed some out

Between the chemist at the bottom of Broxtowe Lane and the last shop [newsagents on the corner opposite Cinderhill Park?] was a detached house, it had the post office in the front room, it also sold crayons etc, it's where I got mine from. Val I remember the fish and chip shop being nr your pub, I remember sitting on that wall between the last shop and your car park, eating chips.

Regarding the bottom end of Broxtowe Lane, there was a bread shop before you got to the post office that Kath mentions. For absolutely years and years - up until recently - the 'Hovis' sign hung proud above the shop and then the place became a Jamaican take-away and the sign was removed.

The 'Hovis' sign was a beautiful sight to see over the years - ,growing up and getting older. Long may it rest, wherever it may be.

Y'are so wonderfully kind Clifton putting on a super photograph for the ladies to mull over!

This would be the Co-op a little further along from the 'Cocked Hat' - I recognise it from the double fronted entrance. I'm wondering is that the date - 1449 -1949 - at the top of the window? I rather doubt the Co-op had been going for 500 years!

The window displays are incredible, must have taken ages to arrange - they'd do themselves proud at Goose fair (on a coconut shy). The little boys had probably been told to wait outside the shop, there wouldn't have been much room in there with shelves at the side, in the central aisle and a long, wooden counter at the bottom.

How civil they were back then allowing the lady to take her pram in; the tills were a little further on past the entrance, the lady would probably have left her pram around here whilst she did her shopping.

1449 -1949 - the window is in celebration of 500 years of the position of the Sheriff of Nottingham

That's one hell of a time to stay in the same position, no wonder he was so grumpy with Robin, must have had pins n' needles something awful!! kickme

In 1449 the Nottingham charter was granted by Henry VI.
Nottingham Corporation was formed to govern its own affairs. Nottingham
became autonomous, independent of the county sheriff, and a county in its own right.

The Shire Hall, the castle and its brew house remained separate to the corporation

New officers were created, including the Sheriff of Nottingham and seven Aldermen who acted as Justices of the Peace and who elected the Mayor from among themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...

The shops at the Strelley Road end of Broxtowe Lane, were something like this, starting nearest Strelley Rd. Off-license (Len Orchard), Charlie's Barber shop, Davis Family Butcher, Preston's Hardware, Marsden's grocers, Purdey's newsagent and sweetshop, The Dairy cake-shop, Chemist shop, Nobby's greengrocer, Whiting's clothiers and haberdashers. These were followed by the Co-op building which housed seperately, Greengrocery, Grocery, and Butcher's shops.

• 1 year later...

# 10 notice the window dressing,special offers changed every 2 weeks at marsdens/farrands,and the window display reflected this,the only thing i ever got a certificate for was window dressing.

i was an old bestwood boy and dare not tell my mates,cos they thought i was hard :biggrin: still dont talk about it,so keep this info to yourself. :blush:

• Upvote 2

Can you remember the smallest ever "FINE FARE" (as far as i know anyway) right on the corner of Broxtowe lane and nuthal rd?

I remember most of those shops. My Dad was a mate of both Len Orchard and Jack Purdey. He did some shop-fitting work for Jack Purdey during the 1960s and whenever I went with him I was handed a free Mivvi. Jack was a lovely bloke. I think dad mentioned he had a drink problem. So sad if he had. Len orchards son Paul was at school with my brothe4r. They did Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Award together.

Jack Purdy rings a bell,i worked at farrands,marsdens,vernons,both coops all on Broxtowe lane in the 60s,and a shopfitting firm from Langley mill did all the work for Farrands/Marsdens perhaps he worked for them?