Broxtowe Lane shops

hellothere At the beginning of the 60's I had a Saturday/ Holiday job at Farrands on the Green; my pay was 14 shillings and ten pence.

It was an interesting time because I helped in transferring the shop into a self-service - i.e. mini supermarket..........................

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#93. I might have mentioned this before - the barmen in the Cocked Hat stood on duck-boards. I was at the bar one night when a barman rang the till and the drawer flew out without stopping.out scatter

# 10 notice the window dressing,special offers changed every 2 weeks at marsdens/farrands,and the window display reflected this,the only thing i ever got a certificate for was window dressing. i wa

Hi davep5491 Is this who you mean?

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Between the chemist at the bottom of Broxtowe Lane and the last shop [newsagents on the corner opposite Cinderhill Park?] was a detached house, it had the post office in the front room, it also sold crayons etc, it's where I got mine from. Val I remember the fish and chip shop being nr your pub, I remember sitting on that wall between the last shop and your car park, eating chips.

The newsagents on the corner opposite Cinderhill Park was called caunts I think

• 2 months later...

Still in the same area, up until the late 1940s at the bottom of Bells Lane, Cinder Hill, there was an embankment between Tilbury Rise and the railway crossing. Along the top of the embankment were a line of large oak trees, behind which was Burchell's farm field. All this was cleared to build four shops, divided by a road leading in to the houses built on the field. My cousin Denis was a bricklayer on the site. The builders were Bosworth. Just over the crossing, on the downslope to the then small island where the trolley busses turned round, was a small hut-like shop/store run by a man named Gribby. When the shops were completed he took the first one - later to become Pinketts?.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

I lived on Withern Road about half way down so the shops at either end did for us. One day it would be Coleby Road end and the next day Bradfield road end.

I remember well the shops you have mentioned and funnily enough I went past there today on the way to Bulwell and how different it looks today.

• 1 month later...

The Broxtowe Lane shops started at the top of Broxtowe Lane called the Top shops, went down past the Cocked Hat to the Co-op and the wool shop, Hardware shop, cake shop etc......then when it joined Bells Lane at the island there were 4 shops at the bottom of Bells Lane.........Pinkets, then Deatons Newsagents, Joe Taylor& Son Butcher's, A Greengrocer and then the Fish and chip shop.................The Butcher's shop belonged to my husband and his father, I married Malcolm in 1970 and went to live behind the shop, was there for 16 years............

My husband Malcolm Taylor attended Crane School, he played football and belonged to Aspley Old Boys Club - he was born in a butcher's shop called Smeeton's on Broxtowe Lane in 1944 - his father was the Manager there, before they bought the Bells Lane Butcher shop in 1951/2......His mother Wyn Taylor owned a shoe shop next door to the Butcher's shop on Broxtowe Lane - His sister Audrey married in 1957 and she ran the greengrocer's on Bells Lane, around the end of the 1950's up until 1963, her married name was Hopkins......

I remember lots of people around 1970-86, 1986 is when we moved and bought a shop on Nottingham Road in New Basford.......

Yes......... My hubby Malc is sitting here and he can remember you, he remembers all the old customers and loved them all.....They had a huge delivery round back then and they worked so hard.......Malc is 70 years old now and actually he hasn't changed much, just greyer...........He is still working, he is with Pete Sheffield, they used to have a butcher's shop on Nuthall Road opposite the pub called the Newcastle Arms, they were called Bert Sheffield & sons, can you remember them ?..........Mick Pinkett from the Newsagent's on Bells Lane, next door to us, is working with them as well............Small World.........Malc sends his love......We now live at Newthorpe...

It is a small world, say hello to Malc from me. He was a busy lad in the 60's in his little white van, his dad's name on the side, delivering the orders. We had the rare thing of a house phone in those days, mam would call the shop to put her order in. I do believe Malc was the friend of a member on here who died a while back, Robert Pollard, also of Amesbury Circus.

Yes Malc can remember him too, he is sorry to hear that he has died............Only seems like yesterday when he was nipping around delivering meat, when I first married him in 1970, the phone rang and rang all the time, people ordering meat.........It all changed when Kwiksave was built up the slip road in Nuthall.......

• 1 year later...

Remember the chippie well Kath we used to have gravy on the chips. A lot of the motorcycle lads used to park next to the wall.

I was one of the motorcycle lads (not so much of a lad now days) that used to hang around the chippie. Does anyone remember the PDSA van that used to park in the Cocked Hat car park you could take your pet there for treatment. The only Val that i can remember at the Cocked Hat was Bill Frames daughter.

You are correct Ernie, Val was Bill Frame's daughter, she went to school with me. I too remember the PDSA van, it parked in the front corner of the car park, I think all they charged was coppers, whatever you wanted to donate.

You are correct Ernie, Val was Bill Frame's daughter, she went to school with me. I too remember the PDSA van, it parked in the front corner of the car park, I think all they charged was coppers, whatever you wanted to donate.

Small world Kath and getting smaller I see you live in the USA.

Yes, a long way from Amesbury Circus. By the by, don't mean to be picky, but when answering in the next post to the one you are referring to, you don't have to quote first. And welcome to the forum Ernie, lots to catch up on, enjoy reading and post your memories.

The one we are talking about had a vet onboard and treated mainly cats and dogs. It parked there a certain day of the week. I'm sure there was a collection van too.

#17 soldat. I remember the shops at Bradfield Road end. Being given 2/6 and told by Mam that I was to go to Charlies and get my haircut on the way home from school, it would be a Friday night so that I would have the weekend to get used to it. Once inside the shop I would wait for a bit to see who was "next in" work out whether I would get Charlie or his assistant. If it looked like I was going to be subjected to Charlies "Short Back and Sides" I would go home and tell Mam that it was packed out and would try again later, my plan was to get to his younger assistant and get a "Boston Back".

• Upvote 1

#51 Just to let you know Geoff that post from Soldat was 2012 and they have not posted since 2014. I used to have my hair cut at Charlie's the original " demon barber"

Funny how things stick in your memory but I always remember he always had a risqué calendar hanging up and in the the late 50's that was very unusual.

Hi Dave, if I was unlucky enough to get Charlie he seemed to keep pushing my head down so he could get a really close cut up the back of my head. Mam would say "I'd got my money's worth". I wonder if he knew any other styles. The only time I could look up was when he stopped to take a drag on his ciggy or if somebody knocked on his side window.

• Upvote 1

Ernie F

I think I recognise the bike. Does a black dog feature in your childhood? If so we were in the same class at Player school.

Broxtowelad I had a 'Tony Curtis' at Charlies, not sure who did the deed. Mam said "Who the bloody hell cut that?"

• Upvote 1