Broxtowe Lane shops

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#93. I might have mentioned this before - the barmen in the Cocked Hat stood on duck-boards. I was at the bar one night when a barman rang the till and the drawer flew out without stopping.out scatter

# 10 notice the window dressing,special offers changed every 2 weeks at marsdens/farrands,and the window display reflected this,the only thing i ever got a certificate for was window dressing. i wa

Hi davep5491 Is this who you mean?

Posted Images

Hi Ernie,

Yes that's him, don't know if you could use his name today though.

I'm not on that pic as I was at People's college in 1958 but I was on the class photo the year before sitting about where you are on this. You were at the other end near the teacher Geoff Bond on the year before pic.

Hi Dave,

Remember them both, if you went up Bradfield rd towards Denton Green John lived on the right hand side near the top.Spoke to John on the "net" few years ago he put some photo's on of himself and a young woman.Do you see many of the "old" gang?I remember them all ,it what I did 5 min's ago that I have a problem with

There used to be a VG shop on Bradfield,when i worked for them late 60s early 70s,can't remember the owners name big red faced chap?

Ernie #64 I get out about once a month for a meet up with Ken and John from our Player infant/junior school days and a few more from teen years.

Terence #67 was 21 Frinton Shipley Road end or Bradfield?

I remember the library and toilets and opposite was waste land.

The sports field was often used for City Sports events I used to do long jump, high jump and 100 yards sprint (ish). The high jump technique in those days was the straddle, they were encouraging us to try the Western Roll. Can't remember too much about it but I think we were jumping somewhere just short of 4.5ft and landing in a sandpit, didn't relish the idea of being horizontal at around 4.5ft off of the ground and planning a landing area.

The waste land you are referring to Dave was affectionally known as humps and hollows and we used to take a short cut across there on the way to the beer off on a Friday night for our sweets ( Orchards)

Dave talking of short cuts, as you know we used to live almost equidistant from the Bradfield Road shops and the Coleby Road ones meaning that the Cocked Hat shops were the furthest point away. So as a kid I used to go down the entry at the bottom of our garden climb the fence separating us from the back gardens on Withern Road down their entry (probably yours) onto Withern then cross the road to Bidford down a couple more entries and fences and I was on Broxtowe Lane.

Do you remember the farmhouse and a stream on what is now Yatesbury Crescent and the field which lead to Chingford Road? I think that was humps and hollows also.

#73 Dave as you say we were equidistant from the shops at either end of the road but always tended to go to Bradfield end for some reason .

The only time I used that entry was to go to the Cocked Hat when I was old enough to drink. You probably know anyway but I can't believe that Prestons Hardware store is still there .

Dave 48 I was told recently, well in the last year or so, that the woman who used to serve when we were kids was still putting in an appearance now and then. She's got to be 90 at least. I keep promising to stop and go and have a look, as Broxtowelad says bundles of firewood wrapped with wire and later used as a handle for my 'winter warmer' also the smell of the Aladdin Pink paraffin.

Terence when you lived at 6 Shipley your back garden would have overlooked ours at 6 Lindfield, what year was it?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes ErnieF there used to be a gang of motorbikers who met up next to the Cocked Hat, think they mainly used the chippy not the pub. Can anybody remember a family who lived on Bidford by the name of Daft, think there was 2 girls called Hazel and Madeline their father was a barman at the pub.

Val,

I knew both Hazel and Madeline and I think there were more than the two of them. I believe Hazel married someone called Grenville Bishop who used to sing in a group at the Bowling Alley (Kath?) I last heard she worked in a shop in Eastwood.

#80. When I used to go in the Cocked Hat there was a chap named Les Daft. We both played in the darts team - Forest Supporters League.