Broxtowe Lane shops

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#93. I might have mentioned this before - the barmen in the Cocked Hat stood on duck-boards. I was at the bar one night when a barman rang the till and the drawer flew out without stopping.out scatter

# 10 notice the window dressing,special offers changed every 2 weeks at marsdens/farrands,and the window display reflected this,the only thing i ever got a certificate for was window dressing. i wa

Hi davep5491 Is this who you mean?

Posted Images

I used to live on Withern Road and can remember the Daft family name living on Bidford. Does anyone know were there any sons that might have gone to Players Infant and Junior boys school in the early 1960's. There was also a family by the name of Bottom. I remember being in the Infants school with one of their daughters.

#84 Geoff I remember the Daft family and the Bottoms. I think there were three Daft girls and they had a brother.

In that small area on Bidford there were the Harts, Dafts, Bottoms ,Lightfoots and Busts all unusual surnames and all living close to each other.

Still in the same area, up until the late 1940s at the bottom of Bells Lane, Cinder Hill, there was an embankment between Tilbury Rise and the railway crossing. Along the top of the embankment were a line of large oak trees, behind which was Burchell's farm field. All this was cleared to build four shops, divided by a road leading in to the houses built on the field. My cousin Denis was a bricklayer on the site. The builders were Bosworth. Just over the crossing, on the downslope to the then small island where the trolley busses turned round, was a small hut-like shop/store run by a man named Gribby. When the shops were completed he took the first one - later to become Pinketts?.

My hubby's family had one of the four shops, a butcher's shop built on that embankment next door to Pinketts at 28 Bells Lane on the corner of Walbrook Close they were called Joe Taylor, they moved there in the early fifties.......later on in the late fifties they bought the shop from Gribby's it was run by my hubby Malc Taylor's sister and was called Hopkins........His mother Wyn Taylor had a shoe shop at the bottom of Broxtoew Lane, his dad ran the Smeeton's butchers next door, for years.......They made a lot of money and bought land on Aspley Lane and a built a smart house.............Malc's parent's later divorced and so did his sister Audrey (who was Hopkins at the time) - She later married again twice and became the Audrey Bromage school of dancing, worked her way to the top and now lives near Beeston Fields area, very well off..........Malc took the butchers shop over from his dad, we lived there from 1970/86 then moved to our own shop On Nottingham Road New Basford...........small world.....

• Upvote 1

Pinketts moved in the early 70's and it was taken over by Deatons who were there until 1985.........

The shops at the bottom of Bells Lane now are very shabby looking, it was a smart area at one time.....

Regarding the bottom end of Broxtowe Lane, there was a bread shop before you got to the post office that Kath mentions. For absolutely years and years - up until recently - the 'Hovis' sign hung proud above the shop and then the place became a Jamaican take-away and the sign was removed.

The 'Hovis' sign was a beautiful sight to see over the years - ,growing up and getting older. Long may it rest, wherever it may be.

That bread shop was owned by Priestley's who are friends of my hubby Malc Taylor, my hubby's mother had a shoe shop on Broxtowe Lane called Wyn Taylor, his dad managed the Smeeton's butcher's next door for years, they later owned their own butchers shop at the bottom of Bells Lane, Joe Taylor & Son - his sister Audrey ran the greengrocer's for a time in the late fifties, was called Hopkins then...............

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I lived on Lindfield Road - the low numbers between Shipley Road and Coleby Road. I went to Player Infant West and Player Junior Boys.

I had a friend who lived on Lindfield Road, she was called Carol Inger, went to my school in Nottingham in the latye fifties..........

Hi davep5491 and chulla

Les Daft did indeed play for the darts team he was also a barman at the Cocked Hat in the late 50s he used to climb over the back fence at the back of his house into the gardens to get to work. I was friends with Madeline when we first moved there in 1957 but she went to Player School and I to Crane, often wondered what happened to them, I know they were a big family

Blondie #92

Carol Inger lived at the Coleby Road end of Lindfield I lived at the Shipley Road end, There were many good looking girls around that area in the 50s/60s she was definitely in the top ten %.

From what I remember she married Geoff Gamble who became a captain in the Merchant Navy he was in my class in the juniors at Player school.

Not sure who pbnotts is but if he lived in the low numbers he was either my next door neighbour or lived across the road.

#93. I might have mentioned this before - the barmen in the Cocked Hat stood on duck-boards. I was at the bar one night when a barman rang the till and the drawer flew out without stopping.out scattering the money all over and under the boards. There were some characters in that place in the late 50s and early 60s when I was going in there. One was Dollar Smith, a very well-known pre-war boxer, who used to regale us with tales. He lived up Coleby Road. He and his good lady were lovely people. He only drank pints of lemonade. With regard to the amount of beer sold, the Cocked Hat was Kimberley Brewery's best house. It would have been a very nice place when it was built because it had separate rooms - the blue, green and red rooms. At some time these were made into the one big room, but you could see the different flooring where the original rooms had been. History lesson over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Chulla

The barmen also had white coats and Gordon Bell who worked in the lounge bar always wore a bow tie, when dad left to take over The Rose Grower Gordon went with him. Dad did run a tight ship, bar customers stayed in the bar not allowed in the lounge unless they were dressed up. The room off the lounge was called the smoke room and was all wood.

• Upvote 2

Blondie #92

Carol Inger lived at the Coleby Road end of Lindfield I lived at the Shipley Road end, There were many good looking girls around that area in the 50s/60s she was definitely in the top ten %.

From what I remember she married Geoff Gamble who became a captain in the Merchant Navy he was in my class in the juniors at Player school.

Not sure who pbnotts is but if he lived in the low numbers he was either my next door neighbour or lived across the road.

She was good looking and clever too, she became an embroidery designer, I know she was courting a Geoff whilst she was at school.....she had a little girl in her teens, I do not know whether she married Geoff, but the last I heard of her she was living across the road from the Three Ponds Pub in Nuthall in a very smart bungalow behind a high wall, I know she married someone from the navy, this was all years ago back in the late 60's 70's era...........She was very friendly with Carol Waldram who lived on Westleigh Road whilst they were at school.......

Terence12 #83 In 57/60 the bottom of your back garden would have overlooked ours 3 gardens on.

Broxtowelad #84 There was a Les Daft born around 1955 I'm told.

Blondie #97 Name Carol Waldram rings a bell but I can't place her I'll find out from a friend next time I see him.

• 1 year later...

i remember in the 50s me and a couple of my mates buying some st bruno pipe tobacco from the co-op on broxtowe after seeing cowboys at the Forum chewing tobacco we all turned green after a few chews.loved going in the shop Whitings on Broxtowe Lane

I remember my Mam giving me money to have my hair cut at Charlies, i used to hate going there. On one occasion my mates dad cut it for me and made a worse job than Charlie, me and my mate Colin Bishton had spent the money.Mam finished up marching me down to Charlies and waiting until i had been scalped

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...