For those that enjoy a drop of real beer...

The Canalhouse, the Castle Rock pub on Canal Street has it's annual SIBA National Beer Festival coming up very soon next month 9-12th. The 56 beers advertised below are supplemented by another 20 so I'm led to believe.

I went to a couple of these in the past and it was pretty good, held upstairs in the pub. I'm not particularly a real ale drinker but hey, it would be rude not to...

SIBA NATIONAL BEER FESTIVAL

M7Q9651.jpg

Any body know where I can buy a stomach pump ??

And can somebody show SWMBO how to use it on me ?

Click on the SIBA link Mick, they're all drinking out of titchy glasses...........................but you can have pints if you wish, good luck!!

I went to a real ale festival in Alloa some years ago. The lunchtime session was great but by the evening there were a lot of drunken Jocks sorry, people in the bar and it became somewhat unpleasant.

Hopefully, and I know it's my thing that you take the p1$$ out of, none of the beers there will be by Greene King and if so, don't have anything to do with them, I know they deviously sell products under their their original brand names that are'nt the real deal.

There's a lovely, popular pub in Braintree called the Kings Head. It has land with it, Greene King have shut it down, clearly in order to develop the site, just as they have done with pubs in the Notts/Derbys area that belonged to Hardy Hansons that they bought out, put people out of work and used for their own profiteering. My brother is a pub inspector for CAMRA based in Ripley, he despairs of what Greene King are doing to the area. Do not drink their beers and ensure that they go out of business.

Beyond belief, that's how the Greene King scum get away with what they are doing, act against them and make them suffer. Clearly you have'nt got any sympathy for the people who worked at the Kimberley brewery who lost their jobs because of GK's immoral business dealings, with them, it's all about property, dodgy deals and making profit at whatever the cost to anybody. I know what they are like, the developer I used to work with tried to arrange a deal with them over some property, they were complete bastards, and he was a pretty cute guy, we looked into their business deals and found them a right bunch of scumbags. As you know, I hate them and my brother feels the same way, I will not go into any of their pubs, unfortunately, they have the complete monopoly over all the pubs in Braintree, it's really sad, I don't want to drink their contrived p1$$, so I can't go out for a pint, I have no choice, it's GK, Gk GK Gk, they exclude all of our lovely local brewers, because they want to take over the brewing world just like Whitbread tried to do in the 70's, so sad. Refuse to buy their products and let them die, but you have no choice, that's how far they have got, Greene King pubs in Somerset, how wierd is that, or do you think it's fine?

The former brewer at Shipstone's has his own place now doesn't he? His ale is called "Star Ale" and I believe it is the old Shippo's recipe or very similar. Of course he may have closed down by now.

Greenall did much the same to Shippo's

To recall, Scottish and Newcastle did the same to Home Ales, and was it Coors/Heiniken that did the same to the Mansfield Brewery, that I heard at the time was one of the most profitable independant breweries in the country, big business Tory scum making profits for themselves at the expense of other peoples liveliehoods, it's disgusting, and it goes on, that bastard in charge of OUR Scottish bank getting a million pounds worth of bonus, can you believe it, what planet are these people on to allow it in these terrible times..

Without getting into the politics (though I agree with Firbeck's assertions) it's interesting to see how parts of the brewing trade have made moves to return to the origins in some ways. Smaller 'micro' breweries, some on-site even, with more 'local' brews and sometimes local ingredients. Speaking to a former chairman of the the local CAMRA though, apparently 'real' ale still remains at only 2% of the market which surprised me a little.

The most seen beer (Round here at least) is John Smiths. Which in itself aint a bad pint, (For me any way)

There's a boozer in a nearby village (Moulton) that has a 'guest beer' each week. We normally pop up on a Thursday for the quiz , but didn't make it this week. They had one on a few weeks back called "Cherry Picker" , which ,as the name suggests, tasted of Cherries ! Strange combination thought I , but for some silly reason it seemed to work.

• 7 years later...

IMG-3587.jpg

Don't know if you can get this beer in UK but its great. It has salt crystals in which give it a real sharp taste.

These days brewers seem to be making all kinds of arty-farty real ales, so it made a nice change to go into 'Spoons the other day and find a proper old fashioned bitted on the hand pump.  The barmaid (Can I say that these days?) said that it was the most popular of the beers on offer at the moment.  I would love to see a return to proper beers such as Shippos and Home bitter.  At a wedding reception in Manchester some years ago we were next door to a pub that sold hand-pulled Holt's bitter, a cheap and cheerful old fashioned bitter with no firills or added cherries, lemons or any other such stuff; so I kept disappearing off next door whenever I needed a top-up pint :)

My latest brew is one of my own recipes and contains nowt but locally grown (malted) barley and home-grown hops. It is an off-sweetish bitter, reddish brown in colour.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Exactly Compo. If I want Ribena, I'll buy some. When I want beer, I want BEER , 

• Like 1

I always try and avoid drinking Fosters, Budweiser and Stella if I fancy lager. Likewise, when I want bitter, I'll avoid Boddingtons, and John Smiths.

If you can get the real-ale version of Boddies it is quite a pleasant brew, Fly.  Light, golden and bitter.

Is it nota new brewery? I see they have gold medals from the 1800s but I thought this was a new-ish microbrewery.