2easyco

Realism in Films

Not the best of films..but true to it's era and the vibe at the time.

Breaking Glass,

Starring Hazel O,Connor and Phil Daniels.

The film captures social unrest/strikes  and power cuts.

Three years after punk...the youngsters realised all they actually wanted was money!

It now acts as a window into the world of 1980 though.

Jon Finch ( Frenzy).

Jim Broadbent also star.

I had some connections with the music rag Trouser Press and went to a fancy screening in Londinium no less.

Standing in me Flittermans Demob suit I got chatting to the co.director...

A certain Dodi Fayed, felt and still feel quite honoured.

• Like 1

Those of you who have wondered what happened to cause the great financial crash ten years ago, it's all here in this spoof scene adapted from It's A Wonderful Life.

• Like 1

Saw this at Kino in Mansfield in 1978, The Great Basil Dearden directs.

Ever since i read 'A postillion struck by Lightning'..i was snared in Dirk Bogarde books and films..and thoroughly regret the decision not writing to him. Released in 1961..it tested the film board censors crowd...it was the first British film to mention the word "homosexual".

Slyvia Simms co stars and the tension is on par with 'Accident' filmed in the late sixties.

Boy Barrett is the victim..not the posh Barrister...a must see film.images_2.jpg

Perhaps jonab has seen:

'Army of Shadows'..a truly gritty and grey piece of film by Jean Pierre Melville. Set in occupied France in 1942..Lino Ventura really exposes the hunger and desperation of mind games against the Gestapo and the Vichy Goverment. Also starring is the familiar and mesmerising Simone Signoret..and Paul Meurisse...no music..just as real life  and no never ending machine gun clips!

If you like Light 15's and Big 6's...this is the movie!images-5.jpg

Sorry, Ian, I've not seen that film. I'm not very filmic(?) as, going right back to my childhood, the cinema would give me blinding headaches which put me off going.

This was all something to do with the frequency of the flickering of the film conflicting with my brain - in a similar way to flashing lights affecting epileptics - although I must emphasise  I am not epileptic, just adversely affected by certain frequencies.

A small point is that I'm not affected by TV or films on TV as the 'flicker rate' is very much different from the cinema. I realise that cinemas tend not to use the old film and projector systems now but, I'd rather not take the risk.

I did go to the cinema very occasionally but it had to be something special and I dosed up on the aspirin and codeine beforehand.

• Like 1

You probably have a high flicker fusion threshold jonab. Some people are more susceptible than others.

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

You probably have a high flicker fusion threshold jonab. Some people are more susceptible than others.

That's most likely it!

Been watching recordings  tonight of Father Brown. The amateur detective Catholic Priest. It's set in the Cotswolds, but the ambulance they use has Nottinghamshire County Ambulance Service emblazoned on the side ..... No wonder they're scarce here !

• Like 1

Just been watching the news where Theresa May arrived in a Range Rover, it was flying the Union Jack on the front, the flag was flown upside down.

Treason !

Blimey Den, you can say that again !  unionflag

A similar idea in the Western film The Professionals, with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster, whereby any sign of an upside down cross means they're in peril. A brilliant film.