Hi there as any one out there got any information on a William Clay is grave was in the old Carlton Cemetery.

Now under Tesco is headstone is now in St Paul’s Church yard.

He fell on a battlefield in The American Civil War

On 3rd June 1864.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi john Boy i have an Eliza Clay born Carlton 1836 married William keywood in nottm 1858 in my family tree but I have never expanded that part of the famlily so I dont know if I can Help, do you have

Go back 130 years, and here's the early version of Tesco

Here is a later version (1914)

Hi john Boy i have an Eliza Clay born Carlton 1836 married William keywood in nottm 1858 in my family tree but I have never expanded that part of the famlily so I dont know if I can Help, do you have anymore info.

Just checked another researchers tree we do have a William Clay born1831 in Carlton Parents Samuel Clay and Alice Kirk so a maybe as we do not have a death place or date.

• Upvote 1

Bloody hell Mick , where were you living all those years in Carlton??

The Cemetry was transfered to Cavendish Road in around 1890, and most of the remains were reinterred there. It covered all that area at the back of Tescos that is now a little park, and a bit of the building itself stands on it too .

When Tescos was being put up they put big hoardings all round it so that no one could see what was unearthed !!! But some one forgot all about the blocks of OAP flats over on Foxhill Road and they could see every thing

Not long after Tescos was built there was alsorts of problems in the staff canteen resulting in all the night shift staff getting the sack , eventually it was 'exorsized' by Rev Harrison from St Pauls Church

Re that map , Carlton hill and Burton road are what was then called Main Street. Does that help ?

I did not know about the Hoardings when Tesco was built?

It looks like There is a big island with buildings on

Would that be Carlton Square?

A story I might have told before here...

late 80s early 90s, what was thought to be a decomposed human finger was found on the low wall of Carlton Cemetery, near your old house. The eminent local Pathologist Professor J.S.P.Jones from the City Hospital agreed it was possibly a finger.

When analysed it was found to be the end of a pigs tail.

And an even later one (1955)

6777943791_0fddb0a41e_b.jpg

Incidentally , Cliffs map has answered a question for me going back 45 years or so !! When I was at St Pauls School there was a coal bunker at the top of the playground with some old ruins (Not a lot) just to the side and rear of it. I always wodered what it had been, and was told it was an old school building 'probably'. Turns out there was a Church there !

• Upvote 1

Carlton Square is where the three roads join right centre (With 106 in the middle) Cavendish Road didn't run through to the square till around 1920. In my first map Cavendish Road is still called Cemetary Road, My mums house is by the 'T' in Cemetary.

Thats all I've got on my map, but I think Mar hill maybe that track on the very bottom right of my first map

Thanks for your information mgread1200 yes Samuel and Alice Clay

Are Williams parents Alice was a Kirk an old Carlton family.

Many years ago I was doing some work for Carlton Council In the old graveyard moving some old gravestone that had fell over and removing some of the bones that had surface.

That is when I came across Williams Clays grave it as interested

Ever since Carlton must have been a very small place back in 1864 What made William go to fight in the American Civil War William fell on the 3rd of June 1864.

There was a battle on the day at Cold Harbour.

The Clay family must have been well-off to have been able to bring back is body.

THE KIRKS WERE INDEED A MONEYED FAMILY IN CARLTON AT THE TURN OF THE 17TH 18TH CENTURIES THEY HAD A BIG FARM ON CARLTON HILL AND HAD SEVERAL PROPOTIES COMMISHIONED INCLUDING KIRKS BUILDINGS WERE CARLTON GIRLS GRANNIE LIVED. WHEN SHE STARTED USING THIS SITE ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS SHE ASKED ABOUT WAS KIRKS BUILDINGS. I KNOW SHE DID MANAGE TO GET A BIT MORE INFO ON THE COTTAGES BUT DONT KNOW IF SHE MANAGED TO FIND ANY ON THE KIRK FAMILY.

I remember (For some silly reason) that one of the 'Foundation Stones' on St Pauls Church was laid by a "Kirk" I'm pretty sure it's round to left hand side if you look at the building from the front. (This is where a bored little boy used to stand in his Cub Scout uniform waiting for the parade to start on a Sunday morning, and he would be doing anything to eliviate the boredom

Hi John boy,I came up with William S clay,50th New York Regiment of Engineers. Enlisted ,Broadawy recruiting office March 10th 1862,died from wound received at the battle of Spotsylvania court house,May 8th-12th.1864. Hospitalized,Washington D.C.died July 21st,1864. His remains were claimed by a brother,removed from regimental cemetary ,September 29th, 1864.Hope this helps.