Hi firbeck,you did the right thing to walk away. There have been many times I would cart my civil war and W.W.1 stuff to a show or meeting,and the only people that were interested,fast talking dealers. They only see a profit and not so much of the history.I have an 1807 tower"Brown Bess"musket,in beautiful condition, with a silk flower sticking out of the barrel.If I had a ten dollar bill for the offers I have had for it,I would be able to buy some top flight players for Forest.

Bryan.

Both my Grandfathers were in WW1. My maternal Grandfather was from Daybrook and was in the Highland light infantry in a Stokes mortar crew. He survived. My paternal Grandfather was from The Meadows/St Annes and was killed on 21st March 1918. I have all his diaries and letters home and medals etc. He was in the South Staffordshires. I have a tape recorded interview I did with my Grandad talking about his War experience where he had a rough time of it. I would be happy to share these with you. In fact I did consider getting involed in the project that you are but ill health put me off as I am not sure I have the commitment. Please PM me if you wish.

About 20 years ago, on the way back from a holiday, I called in at the site of the battle of Vimy Ridge in Northern France, I recall it was chucking it down with rain, but I found it a very moving place and an awesome experience. My son was only little then and yet was very enthusiastic about taking it all in, despite the rain. It must be a genetic thing.

KAT MY GRANDFATHER WILLIAM WALLICE HUNTER JOIN IN 19 14 AND I KNOW HE WAS IN FRANCE AND BELGIUM AND CAME BACK TO NOTTINGHAM IN 1918 HE WAS POSIBLE IN THE SHERWOOD FORESTES BUT COULD HAVE JOINED ONE OF THE SCOTCH BRITALIONS AS HE WAS AOF SCOTCH DECENT, I WOULD REALY LOVE TO KNOW IF HE WAS IN THE SHERWOOD FORESTERS. MUM HAD A FEW OF THE SILK POSTCARDS FROM HIM BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM

I am pretty sure if you go in Nottingham Castle there is a touch screen computer in the Sherwood Foresters room where you can do a name search for your Grandfather. Also just because he was local does not mean he would automatically go in a local regiment. There were so many getting killed from all the regiments they had to make numbers up so it was pot luck where you finished up. My Grandfathers were both Nottingham to the core but one finished up in the South Staffordshires and the other in the Highland Light Infantry.
  • 2 years later...

I just thought some of you might find this an intresting read. We were fortunate enough to have been on the chase at the time it was being excavated and it was fascinating to think that we had walked the area many times with our dogs and never knew what was beneath our feet. It also gave me a quite eerie feeling being there. The detail was remarkable and well preserved to say people had trampled over the area and also the Deer and other wild animals had foraged and dug holes all around. Any way I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-24040406

• Upvote 1

Just read this book:

The War Behind the Wire: The Life, Death and Glory of British Prisoners of War, 1914-18

Author John Lewis-Stempel

It would appear that the Germans were far crueller to prisoners in the first war than in the second........

It contains harrowing accounts of the abuse suffered by all ranks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

My maternal Grandad was a Gunner with the Sherwood Foresters in WW1.  He wasn’t called up until 1916 when he was 29 years old.   He first went to Cooden Camp in Sussex, an arrow points him out on the group photo.  The other photo was taken in France, it’s a French ‘Carte Postale’. 

He survived the war and went back to his job as Electrician at Boots until his retirement. Sadly he succumbed to Cancer and passed away in 1954, having only been retired for 2 years. Even though I was only 4 when  he died I remember him well, he was a fantastic artist and I was his only grandchild, more children followed after his passing. 

F0_A94_E5_A-5206-418_C-_AF07-_E365_AFD52

• Like 2

Yes Ian, and by 1916 they knew what they were heading for.

My maternal grandmother was married before WW1 started and her young husband was killed right at the beginning of the war, leaving her widowed with a little baby.  She then met and married my lovely Grandad after the war and they had 4 children, my Mum being one of them.   

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Frederick Dietrichsen of the Sherwood Foresters shot dead by a sniper in Dublin during the Easter Rebellion of 1916

https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/People/Details/23682?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn&utm_content=World+War+One+Memorial

Dm4rE2uW0AI77Dm.jpg:large

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the ceramic poppies are still doing the rounds, if you get chance to go and see them you won't be disappointed

IMG_0297.jpg

Edited to add IMG_0299.jpg

Lincoln castle couple of years ago

Rog

• Like 1