Cafes and Greasy Spoons

The Elbow on both Mansfield Road and Huntingdon Street was, I reckon, the best city café. Great meals at great prices and open long hours (24?) too.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What isn't common knowledge is a lot of these transport cafes did deals with drivers swopping the odd gallon of sump oil for a meal hence "greasy" part of their title. Obviously I can't name these b

J25 (Sandiacre) to J26 (Nuthall) opened in November 1966 J26 (Nuthall) to J28 (Pinxton) opened May 1967

There was a petrol station and garage workshop into the mid eighties, as I used them when I lived in Saxondale village.

Just remembered the Café on Huntingdon Street bus station. Right on the corner of the station and Huntingdon street. A real greasy spoon - meals served with fag hanging out of mouth. There was a coffee bar across the road from the bus station too. Alas, that's another name that escapes me.

The one on the corner, the building is still there. Over the road was station Cafe known as Greasy Lills, it was 24hr cafe i worked next door at MMD taxis in 1978. Lower down the coffee bar could have been Cappocies?

There was a good cafe down the A1 (Note, a 'good cafe', and not one that was a landmark like "Kates Kabin" sic ) at the "Black Cat" roundabout at Godmanchester, called (funnily enough) "The Black Cat Cafe" , it was nothing more than 2 caravans joined 'at the hip', but the food was second to none.

Back in the day you could get a 'quarter pounder with cheese, and a big brew for a quid. There was very often a queue to park. with waggond dangerously backing up onto the A1 itself !!

The best part about it was that it was run by a 'gentleman of colour' , not quite half caste not quite white and he had a couple of pronounced canine teeth making him look like a 'black cat' , his name was Maurice and he would remember everybodies name. (Sort of) He called me "The man from Nottingham" somehow making it sound like a rhyme.

Lovely fellow. Unfortunately I stopped the long distance stuff when i went to work for the RAC in '89, when I went back to it in '91 he'd taken on someone to run it for him and it just wasn't the same .

If we're going out of town then I vote for the Hollis Café at the junction of the A5 and M6 JN12.

I THINK THE CAFE MENTIONED IN NETHERFIELD WAS CORNER HOUSE CFE ON THE CORNER OF BOURNS ST OPPOSIT THE CHURCHITS THE ONLY CAFE I CAN REMEMBER ON THAT SIDE OF THE RD FAMOUSE FOR ITS CREAM TEAS MUM WOULD SOMETIMES TAKE ME IN THERE AS A SPESCIAL TREAT.

BIKERS CAFES JACKS AND ROBINS IN BEESTON CLOCK TOWERE IN NETHERFIELD TRUDIES CARLTON HILL NEAR CATHOLIC CHURCH

AND OF COURSE SOME GREAT NIGHTS AT THE WHITEPOST CAFE AS WAS SAID OPEN 24 HOURS A DAY365 DAYS A YEAR.

JACKSHILLS CAFE

Anyone recall the one that was on the old A610 at Nuthall, building is still there virtually an end of terrace house before you go under the M1, another I recall was between Ripley and Ambergate on the old road, in later years it became The Excavator pub or bar

Ashley- I remember & used the one on the old A610, just past the old Battery Sales shop, good cafe, always busy....................the 2nd one you mentioned, did it have an old JCB on the roof? No I'm not joking!!

If we're going out of town then I vote for the Hollis Café at the junction of the A5 and M6 JN12.

Not too bad , but don't go expecting it to be quite where Compo says !! it's about a mile up the road towards Cannock

80's - There used to be a Cafe on or near Heathcote Street.

Was it Audrey's Cafe or something similar

Used to open up about 2am. and was filled by people leaving nightclubs.

One I used around 1962 was on Huntingdon Street not far from the Central Market on the same side. Can't remember the name but a lady named Kit used to serve me with the best dripping toast ever! 😚

I still love toast and dripping - pork dripping not beef. SWMBO says it will kill me but it hasn't done so far :crazy:

"my local Butcher keeps dripping"

So do Morrisons, lovely stuff 69p a tub, also ideal for wheel bearings, bike headstocks and waterproofing bell tents,lol

By the way the Radcliffe one mentioned building is still there but as something else now due to double yellow lines which finished off a few other cafe's too. Think a lot mentioned were not true transport cafe's?

On biking trips North we used to stop at the Londonderry Lodge, on the A1 in N. Yorks. It is a real transport cafe,all day breakfast, overnight rooms and a bar for those staying. It's still there and I can recommend it. It's near Leeming.

A lot of the cafe's mentioned could not be classed as transport ones? more like meeting places? and there were others that were merely "eating houses", one I recall was Ball's corner of Nottingham Rd/Chatsworth Ave New Basford, open limited hours the back room of such had if I recall correctly no tables just stools and about a foot wide shelf around the room where you sat and ate facing the walls! then left to get back to work at one of the many local factories

Can anyone remember the cafe on Nuthall Road, just along from the Aspley Picture House, 1950's? Teddy Boys used to congregate in there - perhaps it was called a 'Milk Bar' then rather than a cafe. Anyway the 'Teds' had a bad reputation - given by the press, flick knives and knuckledusters. Consequently we kids used to come out of the Aspley Library opposite very carefully, all eyes on the 'Den of Iniquity' across the way!