Cafes and Greasy Spoons

I didn't know that was till going Fly2. I worked at Ollerton college for a while in the mid 80s and used to stop at the Limes for tea occasionally.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What isn't common knowledge is a lot of these transport cafes did deals with drivers swopping the odd gallon of sump oil for a meal hence "greasy" part of their title. Obviously I can't name these b

J25 (Sandiacre) to J26 (Nuthall) opened in November 1966 J26 (Nuthall) to J28 (Pinxton) opened May 1967

There was a petrol station and garage workshop into the mid eighties, as I used them when I lived in Saxondale village.

Si passed it a couple of weeks ago and it looked open. There is currently some building work taking place on the north side , but I don't know what. . I'll keep you posted.

There's also a good on on the A17 at Sutton Bridge. The A5 / A 43 island north of Towcester, and a great caravan thing on the A19 near Thirsk. The services at Markham Moor on the A1 always let transport drivers get served first which I liked.

There was a good one on the northbound A1 at Quernhow, but I believe this has succumbed to a section of new A1M.

I love old market caffs. Suppose I caught the habit when dad worked Central market in the 50's. I can't explain it, but egg and bacon butties at the market caffs cannot be replicated at home. We have an enclosed market here in Stafford and I was in there at lunchtime yesterday. Four quid for a mug of tea and an 'award winning' breakfast! Wonderful. I always pop in there when in town. Great place to 'people watch'. .

• Upvote 1