Cafes and Greasy Spoons

Read the title in mgread's post in 'Nottingham Hauliers' & thought it might make a decent topic, recalling best of Transport (& other greasy spoons) in & around Nottingham, Notts + others.............................with their 'speciality dishes' if you so wish..................

Bobbersmill Cafe,famous for 'large sos with'. Parkers (Lenton?). Limes (ollerton), drippin' toast. FosseWay Cafe (Fosse road to Newark) big oval plates of 'all in', there you go, I've started................................

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What isn't common knowledge is a lot of these transport cafes did deals with drivers swopping the odd gallon of sump oil for a meal hence "greasy" part of their title. Obviously I can't name these b

J25 (Sandiacre) to J26 (Nuthall) opened in November 1966 J26 (Nuthall) to J28 (Pinxton) opened May 1967

There was a petrol station and garage workshop into the mid eighties, as I used them when I lived in Saxondale village.

Atkins on the Derby/Burton Road...and I think another closer to Burton was 'Airfield or Aerodrome Cafe'

The Salt Box was a big place and I remember a few yards up the road was the original cafe which was just a big shed. Was it the 'Black Cat on the Nottm/Leics road? White Post was a good all nighter at one time.

Never been in the place but there has been a transport cafe at Clifton Bridge/Wilford Lane for as long as I can remember. I presume it must be good to have survived all this time.

I've been past there hundreds of times as a kid on buses to Nottingham and it doesn't seem to have changed at all in 50 years.

• Upvote 1

I'd agree with what mgread1200 said.......... I've never been in either of them but I've been past both hundreds of times

This is a good shot of the cafe before Clifton Bridge was enlarged in the early 70s

http://www.pictureth...006791&prevUrl=

And the Ponderosa/Clifton Bridge Inn

http://www.pictureth...003416&prevUrl=

The Ponderosa is sadly closed and due for demolition in the not to distant future, although saying that I came past it the other day and i swear there was a "For sale or to let" sign on it

Cafes , now where do I start. ?

The Salt Box is still there on the old Derby/ Stoke Road , (now by passed by the A50), on the turn to Tutbury. A little further along is another off of the A50 left turn at the next roundabout on the A 515 towards Litchfield about a mile down the road is P Js , it used to be very good , but on my last visit the prices had gone through the roof.

There used to be a good 'un down Netherfield same side and not far from "Jackie Bells" I've just had a good look on Google Earth but it seems to have gone now

More to follow

oh dear! your last post was within a minute of its reply so he was probably writing it at the same time as you but both pressed the 'post'button at the same time.........(ever the pacifier me)

Anyone recall the one that was on the old A610 at Nuthall, building is still there virtually an end of terrace house before you go under the M1, another I recall was between Ripley and Ambergate on the old road, in later years it became The Excavator pub or bar

The one by Clifton bridge ( I always called the Ponderosa Café) was featured in an episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet. Moxy stopped there whilst on the run.

The Limes was a great café as was the Robin Hood - my personal favourite outside the city.

There used to be (maybe still is?) a tranny caff on the Radcliffe By Pass. Can't remember the name but the serving wench used to call something like "One-up with beans" or "One-up with peas" One-up being, IIRC, pie & chips.