Cafes and Greasy Spoons

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What isn't common knowledge is a lot of these transport cafes did deals with drivers swopping the odd gallon of sump oil for a meal hence "greasy" part of their title. Obviously I can't name these b

J25 (Sandiacre) to J26 (Nuthall) opened in November 1966 J26 (Nuthall) to J28 (Pinxton) opened May 1967

There was a petrol station and garage workshop into the mid eighties, as I used them when I lived in Saxondale village.

Hi poohbear, funnily enough the shops in this section of Nuthall Road used to be there for years: remember 'Dorothy's' the tobacconist and sweetshop just along from the Aspley Picture House? I can still smell that soft, sweet fragrance that hit you when you walked into her shop: sherbet dabs, Merry Maid chocolate caramels etc. The place used to be packed on a Saturday night, customers getting their orders before spending a few hours in the cinema along the way. 'Dorothy's' shop was packed with stuff - from floor to ceiling (literally).

These days shops in this section don't seem to last a minute before they're boarded up.

I walked along the stretch of Nuthall Road shops - past the library - yesterday and noticed that most of them were either closed or boarded up.

Later I went into Aspley Library; lovely, warm place, not changed much from when I was a child. Going out I remarked to the assistant at the issue desk that I hoped the library wouldn't close down, as on that particular morning the original Bulwell library had closed and moved into the new Health Centre.

I wonder what's going to become of the solid, neo Art-Deco building? Someone should care.

Audreys was really called Broad Street Cafe (IMMSC) and Mick as for Bobbers Mill Cafe , can I refer you to post number 1 !!

Have you noticed how many posts are made on this board daily?

I ent noticed - giz a count.

• 1 month later...

Haven't seen anyone mention one I remember on the Loughborough Road near where the Nottingham Knight is now. It was probably just where the big roundabout at the junction with Clifton Blvd is now, back then it was probably where Landmere Lane crossed. I remember it as a kid and think was demolished when Clifton Blvd was built.

• 4 weeks later...

The 'Breedon On The Hill' cafe brought back memories. I sometimes called in there for a snack. There was a small company opposite and I used to park in their car park but nobody ever said anything. I remember there used to be an eldish chap who ran it, I think his name was Arthur. The Salt Box was a nice cafe, always clean and tidy and the food was well cooked. It's the same with Clifton Bridge Cafe, clean and tidy, always well cooked food. One of my brother's lives near Bobbers Mill Cafe and the food has always been the same. You can have a normal sandwich or you can have a doorstep which really is a mouthful.

Ashley, the cafe on the A610 was run by Grace and Ron Cooper. It was highly popular and never more so than when the M1 was being built through Nuthall. The workers used to come down the embankments for a hearty breakfast.

The sausage meat sandwiches were beyond fabulous!

You are right Nick.

The cafe is closed they retired long ago.

On my visits to Hucknall, I see its been knocked through to make a dwelling.

I think the address is actually Spring Terrace?

I doubt they are still there?

When was the M1 built through Nuthal?

Mick, I am related through my parents but not much contact since Ron and Grace's passing. Not sure what the lady in question is doing these days, etc. I think my folks bump into her every now and then though while cruising the supermarket aisles!

She would be around 54 today and probably a Grandma.

I was an apprentice electrician for the Coop and lived on

Wilford Crescent West in the Meadows at that time.

I can still remember the sign in the Cafe.

"Please do not encroach on the bus stop"

Some years later a friend gave me a cutting he found in the Post about

their retirement from the Transport Cafe. Might still have it somewhere?

• 2 years later...