Cafes and Greasy Spoons

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What isn't common knowledge is a lot of these transport cafes did deals with drivers swopping the odd gallon of sump oil for a meal hence "greasy" part of their title. Obviously I can't name these b

J25 (Sandiacre) to J26 (Nuthall) opened in November 1966 J26 (Nuthall) to J28 (Pinxton) opened May 1967

There was a petrol station and garage workshop into the mid eighties, as I used them when I lived in Saxondale village.

Capocci's until last year.In the 60's you could get two slices of Welsh rarebit for 1 /10d

The Caribbean Coffee Bar.downstairs under the breadshop at top of victoria street / Carlton Street. Used to call in when playing truant in early 60's. The manageress took a fancy to me after I called in with two girls that she did not like. She used to provide me with free frothy coffee.

There was a cafe / restaurant on George Street? or Broad street? called The Normandy. Super Greek couple who served a mean sausage and chips with onion gravy and a great pot of tea.

Was it Hammonds cafe on Wollaton st , just down from Scamps nightclub,waitress had a fag welded to her lip?but shepards pies were to die for!! And if my Mum was in a good mood it was the Granary on Hurts Yard- later to become "charlie parkers"

The Mill was great in the late 60's . Corned beef , chips and pickled onions.

That was when I worked on Mister Softee ice cream vans. Several drivers frequented the place.

Reserved for Nottm City Council employees only.

Certainly NOT subsidised ! May have been a bit cheaper than other caffs cos they only had to cover operating costs. They still made a small profit.

The 'Breedon On The Hill' cafe brought back memories. I sometimes called in there for a snack. There was a small company opposite and I used to park in their car park but nobody ever said anything. I remember there used to be an eldish chap who ran it, I think his name was Arthur. The Salt Box was a nice cafe, always clean and tidy and the food was well cooked. It's the same with Clifton Bridge Cafe, clean and tidy, always well cooked food. One of my brother's lives near Bobbers Mill Cafe and the food has always been the same. You can have a normal sandwich or you can have a doorstep which really is a mouthful.

Breedon on the hill also jogged my memory Michael,when i first worked Birmingham it was on route prior to the M/A 42,always stopped there and sa you say parked across the rd,remember the entrance up steps?...Took much longer to get to 'Brum' but a much more interesting drive,it would have been 60s and early 70s,we prob.breakfeasted together all those years ago mate.lol.

• Upvote 1

How about the cafe that used to be in Wollaton Park, it was situated just to the left of what used to be the Police stables, a typical 60's timber frame chalet with large windows. It used to be our hang out in the late 60's during our teenage 'informative' years. The manager was a young attractive brunette in her mid 20's I would say, very nice girl, very friendly and not at all anti-teenager, she used to pick up on the adolescent gossip and pass on messages if she saw a reason for doing so and thus terminating teenage angst. I don't remember them doing much in the way of food apart from sandwiches, sausage rolls, that sort of thing, we just had ice creams when it was hot and cups of tea when it was cold. They had a juke box next to the door which seemed to be playing most of the time, I have this memory of going over there when I was supposed to be revising for my A-Levels, the weather was hot and the place was empty, I would lie on the fresh summer grass outside listening to 'The Boxer' by Simon and Garfunkel and contemplating that these teenage times spent in Wollaton Park were nearly over.

Does anyone know when the place was shut down and demolished, I could never understand why they did that in such a popular tourist spot.

I remember that café at Wollaton Park Pete. Good for an ice cream on a hot Sunday afternoon.

Despite very strict catering laws, I have worked in one or two dodgy places. And what about those road side diners, what we in the trade call Rat Vans.

Passed it today. A good few trucks there.

What isn't common knowledge is a lot of these transport cafes did deals with drivers swopping the odd gallon of sump oil for a meal hence "greasy" part of their title. Obviously I can't name these but with time you could tell by taste the oil used in the fry ups, Duckhams had a nice aroma, esp their 20-40 multigrade only surpassed by Castrol R often found at certain bikers caffs, However Monday was a day to avoid most as that seemed to be the day most choose to gunk their frying pans etc on that day which tended to leave an after taste. Does anyone recall the Chinese transport cafe on the A52? I remember it getting robbed one weekend, the thieves stealing all their cooking pans, they had to lay the staff off for a day as they had no wok

• Upvote 5
  • 4 weeks later...