Cafes and Greasy Spoons

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What isn't common knowledge is a lot of these transport cafes did deals with drivers swopping the odd gallon of sump oil for a meal hence "greasy" part of their title. Obviously I can't name these b

J25 (Sandiacre) to J26 (Nuthall) opened in November 1966 J26 (Nuthall) to J28 (Pinxton) opened May 1967

There was a petrol station and garage workshop into the mid eighties, as I used them when I lived in Saxondale village.

Re Kitty Cafe, in Turkey most out door eating places had "resident cats", strays that used to hang about them, nobodytbothered but if you fed one it would remember you and be back the next time, the only place I've seen swimming cats too, the waiters used to throw them in the pool, they didn't appear to mind, you could tell some enjoyed it, probably glad to cool off

• Upvote 1

I once had a Turkish Van cat that would sit beside my pond watching the ducks. He would then nonchalontly stroll in to the pond up to his tummy.

Any body remember the cafe on Colwick rd, almost opposite the end of Meadow lane? It was in a row of shops on the same side as the old police station. Owner was a lady named Grace. We just used to call it Gracies. Great egg on toast and tea. Mid 1960s. Can't remember the prices but they were good.

Writing mid 1960s just hit me. Fifty years ago! Where did it go?

• 3 weeks later...

Benjamin #89 The Stanton Works drivers were allowed a whole day for a Birmingham trip, how did a stop at Breedon cafe delay anybody? And it's a nice road to drive now again, even safe for cyclists beyond Breedon.

Amazing to think a very small area of any part of Nottingham conjers up so many memories,....ie Mansfield rd between Forest rd down to Fulforth st,ate in the 'Elbow' bought two cars and worked in two shops,Farrands and Northern Dairies.

I reckon you could take a 200 yard stretch of almost any street/road and the same would apply.

• 1 month later...

I'll settle this discussion re Elbow Cafe, YES it did have an entrance on Huntingdon Street as well as Mansfield Road !

you are right the one on huntingdon street was for bed and breakfast customers.

I'll settle this discussion re Elbow Cafe, YES it did have an entrance on Huntingdon Street as well as Mansfield Road !

I didn't know it, but is it on here? (Mansfield Road is the one in the background)

hunting_1.jpg

I am fairly sure the Elbow had three entrances.

One on Mansfield Road we all agree about, one up the steps direct into the café from Huntingdon Street, that's the one I used most mornings having walked up from the gas board (always a big pile of gas board tool bags near the rear door). A further one on Huntingdon Street that led to the B & B side of things.

Catfan..re #122:

Remember it way back in the late 50s....Looking at Google, the Harlequin has expanded out of sight. Back then, just a few houses, the café and if I remember right, a petrol station?