Seeking Regent Hill Sneinton

Guest poohbear

Got an 1851 census return for Element place,Regent Hill Sneinton.I've got it listed in a 1902 directory...but just the address no names.I've come up with nothing in other directories,just Regent Street in Nottm.

Anyone got a map with this place on it?

I keep coming across 'Sneinton Element' too....any ideas on what the Sneinton Element is/was?

so you are the real thing....

Isn't Sneinton Elements basically just the posh name for Sneinton? I don't think there's any difference or alternative place. The "Elements" bit gradually got dropped over the years.

Actually, Littlebro has just proved me wrong, so I'll go away and write more spam......

Found some info....

Sneinton Elements.This peculiar name for a cluster of streets consisting of small houses, some built 100 years ago, on the Carlton Road, formerly called Element Hill, was probably given because of the exposed situation on the northern hill.

I still need info re post 1 though...

I found another mention... definitely Regent Hill

It is possible that many of the Small Houses in Sneinton may be lightened, brightened, sweetened—not pulled down. Back yards may be made healthy, and adorned with shrubs, flowers and creeping plants on the walls, flower pots and bulbs in the windows, and trees in the open places. Even Regent Hill and Royal Oak Street look attractive in summer, when the flowers are blooming. All this, however, will be useless unless a vigilant care is exercised in the selection of tenants.

Got an 1851 census...

Tis I.....forgot to log in...

Thought someone had deleted your account there!

This forum permissions were set for guests to post.

Now fixed :)

poohbear, have a look at this it seems that Element place was where they built st. matthias church, which is just off of Carlton road,the road at the side of the now closed co-op.

http://southwellchur...as/hhistory.php

Nice one...I've found reference to Regent Hill but not Element Place up to now.

I have a copy of an early map of that area, the church is shown but not the other streets mentioned.

When I put Regent Hill Sneinton into the Bing search engine I got a couple of sites mentioning census records from that, these showed the people that were there and a brief summary of who they were, if you cant find them I will add a link to them http://www.well-and.co.uk/Welland-p/pd3.htm#i506

Cracked it..both Regent Hill and Element Yard.Census says Element Yard off Regent Hill which it isn't.Nearby though...All long gone now,but the Green Arrow is Windmill Lane which is still there.So the address I sought was just downhill from the March Hare(If that's still there of course)and the same side of Carlton Road.

Interesting to see how much was still green fields or gardens.

6069c7b6.jpg

Strange thing is Cliff Ton...why Regent Hill in the first place? The roadway to the houses is Prince Regent Street.Why the narrow track leading to the rear of the properties should be named at all defeats me.

Edit...But looking again I guess it's the only access to the houses on the lower side of the road.