Beatles in Nottingham

That was the first time I saw them. However, I preferred other Merseyside groups such as The Searchers, The Big Three, The Merseybeats etc.

Mojos, they were very good. I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to remember their name.

Stones here too, but also Yardbirds, Pretty Things, Animals, Downliners Sect. Gary Farr etc.

Yes, Aynsley was always one of my favourite drummers. Loved Retalliation too. Great group.

Tommy Quickly not my scene though.

Tommy Quickly or Thomas Quigley as he was known in Liverpool was not my scene either but that one track " walk the streets at night looking for someone " sums up youth, innocence and hoping to meet Mr or Mrs Right ......

But as the lyrics go on " now she's gone, she's said her last goodbyes " still brings a tear to my eye .....

• 5 years later...

I have just ordered a CD from Lake Records/Fellside Recordings of the Chris Barber Jazz Band, recorded at the Elizabethan Rooms. 

Those who have visited the Beatles exhibition in Liverpool may recall that the first display is in fact of Chris Barber's Jazz band (originally the Ken Colyer Band), and their introduction of 'Skiffle', during their concerts.  Lonnie Donegan was the banjo player in the Barber band and the Skiffle craze kick started the Beatles, The Shadows and many many more. Later, Chris introduced the genuine American Blues artists to the UK. 

Chris Barber died March this year aged 90 and still led his band up until August 2019.  generally acknowledged to be one the major influences in the British music scene, but seemingly, so few these days seem aware of it. Shame.  

The producer of the CD says that he struggled to find jazzers with memories of the Elizabethan Rooms and it was only through here and Google that it made sense, though I never saw any live music there. 

• Like 2
On 2/7/2012 at 2:01 PM, Badman said:

Although its not in "city"-THE GREY TOPPER CLUB at Jacksdale was one of the top venues for "big groups" in the 60's and 70's. The Sweet, Johnny Johnson and the band waggon, the Beatles were booked but their van broke down so they did not get there.

Welcome Badman to nottstalgia I am a Nottm girl my self, but moved to Jacksdale 10 years ago. I have a friend who has lived here all his life and you are right about The Grey Topper Club my friend Ronni can tell you everyone/group who visiterd tThe Grey. Any time you would like to ask anything just contact me.

10 hours ago, Socram said:

I have just ordered a CD from Lake Records/Fellside Recordings of the Chris Barber Jazz Band, recorded at the Elizabethan Rooms. 

Those who have visited the Beatles exhibition in Liverpool may recall that the first display is in fact of Chris Barber's Jazz band (originally the Ken Colyer Band), and their introduction of 'Skiffle', during their concerts.  Lonnie Donegan was the banjo player in the Barber band and the Skiffle craze kick started the Beatles, The Shadows and many many more. Later, Chris introduced the genuine American Blues artists to the UK. 

Chris Barber died March this year aged 90 and still led his band up until August 2019.  generally acknowledged to be one the major influences in the British music scene, but seemingly, so few these days seem aware of it. Shame.  

The producer of the CD says that he struggled to find jazzers with memories of the Elizabethan Rooms and it was only through here and Google that it made sense, though I never saw any live music there. 

I played in the support band to the Big Three at the Elizabethan Rooms in 1964. The Big Three members were Johnny Hutchinson-drums,Paul Pilnick-lead  guitar and Faron Ruffley-bass guitar. The Big Three arrived with no pa so used ours.

Will2017

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 2/1/2012 at 10:12 AM, 2easyco said:

It was March 7th, 1963 when The Beatles unloaded their own equipment from the back of an old Thames van and took the lift up to the Elizabethan ballroom at the top of the Co-op House on Parliament Street.

That night they played to an half-empty audience despite their record, Please Please Me being top of the charts! Later that year, however, they returned to Nottingham (May 23rd) topping the bill with Roy Orbison at the Odeon.

Their final appearance of 1963, December 12th at the Odeon, Beatlemania was in full swing, all Police leave being cancelled and special constables and a fleet of ambulances being called up in reserve!

The hysteria was such, that a plan was devised where the band left the Central Police station for the Odeon and a series of decoy vans was used to confuse the fans.

But back to that first appearance at the Co-op. The man who booked them for the Co-op was Bob Sturgeon, a 28year old sales rep from Chilwell, who borrowed £20 from his father and booked The Beatles for nothing with their manager Brian Epstein, who wanted to showcase his Mersey acts around the country. Epstein took 50% of the takings on the night, which included Cilla Black, Billy J Kramer, Gerry and The Pacemakers and The Big Three.

Their final appearance in Nottingham was November 5th 1964, by then they were a worldwide musical phenomenon!

Hi. Just to put the facts straight. In 63 I was working at the Coop on the third floor during the day. At about 6pm I got into the staff lift to go up to the fourth floor where I was working that night. Both Paul and John were in the lift when I got in, I didn't know who they were. Getting out the lift they asked me where the changing rooms are and I took them to the staff canteen. During that night I sat and chatted with them both for many hours. Ringo was sat on his own as with George. John sent me to get him a beer now and again and in turn he showed me a few chords on the guitar. A memorable night, though there was no sign of Cilla. As for the half full. There was at least 300 people outside unable to get in. The ballroom was full (max 1800). At the end of the show, Brian Epstein went into the cloakroom and scooped up a pile of coats belonging to the Beatles. Unfortunately mine was at the bottom of the pile and only six weeks old. Never did get it back.During that year many famous bands and groups came on Saturday nights. But it was the Beatles and their unbelievable charisma which stays with me to this day.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, Snoopy said:

Both Paul and John were in the lift when I got in, I didn't know who they were. 

You didn't know who they were ?? !!  You must've been the only person in the UK in 1963 who didn't recognise the Beatles.

And a link to something from last year.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50490330

One of my uncles (mums brother) was a special policeman and on one of the Beatles visits to Nottingham he was with them as part of their security detail I guess. Days later he told my mum and got a tongue lashing for not getting myself and my friend in to see them or at least getting their autographs. Not that I or my friend were really bothered, we were die hard Stones fans.