2easyco

Beatles in Nottingham

straying a bit here, but that's another "Jay" band, Around that time the "most famed" or popular band was the Jaybirds? (later 10 Years After, Alvin Lee etc) I also recall The Jaycats, saw them supporting Herman's Hermits at Co-Op, the hermits should have been made a support band, in something like the Clifton bridge or Dunkirk flyover pillars

• Upvote 1

Went on the Magical Mystery Tour in Liverpool last week visiting the Beatles haunts which brought back great memories of the 60s. I was at the Mersey Beat Showcase that night in the Elizabethan Rooms and was amazed at the meagre attendance as the lads at my school, Henry Mellish were going crazy over this new group with Love me do and Please Please Me having just been released and gone to no 1. What amazed me even more was the fact that we were dancing to the support acts (the likes of Billy J, Gerry Marsden and the Big 3!!) and the Beatles just strolled right past us on the dance floor carrying their equipment!! It seem ironic that I couldn't get a ticket for the subsequent gigs at the Odeon,etc for love nor money!! Unfortunately I lost the ticket but I recall that it cost 6/6 or 33p in today's money - pretty good value for money.

• Upvote 3

I still have a flyer produced by The Odeon announcing the booking arrangements for The Beatles concerts there. Prices for the later concerts were 17/6, 15/-, 12/6, 8/6. It was a "lucky draw" you had to send a postal application with a postal order and a sae. I went to the 1st performance at 6.30pm, then when that finished and we were let out, we ran round to the front for the second performance which was at 8.30. The first time they appeared at The Odeon my ticket cost 7/6. Still have all three ticket stubs. The concerts were incredible but the screaming meant you couldn't really hear any of the music.

Incidentally, re earlier posts about the Elizabethan rooms...I saw The Kinks there, and being right at the front got crushed and had to be pulled out of the crowd, carried across the stage, and taken round the back to recover.

• Upvote 1

The biggest clanger I dropped on that day -mind you I was used to dropping clangers at that time as I was 23 years old just,

because Chester the head chef at the Elizabethan rooms asked me are you going to the show tonight I bet you'd get in free?

I said who's on & he said the Beatles -they're supposed to be good you know. I said --never heard of em..... nobody next day spoke of anything else but that show........... Ah well haven't we all got a soft spot for them even after all this time.

One of my lads bought me the whole set of disks which has all their recordings, the whole lot........ fancy me being such an idiot not getting those autographs .......... wasn't into autographs mind you, took a girl to see Lonnie and she got his autograph the second time he was at the Empire but I didn't know about that look he gave 'Carol' while he was signing at the back stage door, but I soon learned better since ! We were only sixteen !

• Upvote 2

Crikey ..... Just cleaning out an old draw me Aunt Josie gave me found this old ticket?

CnTsJZTW8AAEpFR.jpg

That was the first time I saw them. However, I preferred other Merseyside groups such as The Searchers, The Big Three, The Merseybeats etc.

Mojos, they were very good. I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to remember their name.

Stones here too, but also Yardbirds, Pretty Things, Animals, Downliners Sect. Gary Farr etc.

Yes, Aynsley was always one of my favourite drummers. Loved Retalliation too. Great group.

Tommy Quickly not my scene though.

Klaus Voorman of the Big 3 was also an extremely talented and versatile muso.

Tommy Quickly or Thomas Quigley as he was known in Liverpool was not my scene either but that one track " walk the streets at night looking for someone " sums up youth, innocence and hoping to meet Mr or Mrs Right ......

But as the lyrics go on " now she's gone, she's said her last goodbyes " still brings a tear to my eye .....

I know, I adore sad lyrics. Inside this gruff exterior lies an old romantic. LOL