Nottingham Grasstrack Car Club

New to this forum and started thinking back to when I started Grasstrack car racing in 1972 at Langar next to the John Deere site.

Sue Wright was chairwoman, Mick Wright who raced a mini was from AV Cars on Meadow Lane.

Mick Parnham and Mick Kirk, M K sadly no longer with us, who raced Anglias lived on Vale Road at Colwick. Tom Carter was the regular race starter.

Graham Rowlands from Mapperley who worked for Mertrux raced Jags.

Mick and Sandra Healey from Mapperley with a mini.

John Strong from Carlton with a Moggy 1000 I think.

My brother Alan Goode with his VW, I had an Anglia estate.

There was a Dave ? from Lamcote motors in Radcliffe who I think had an Anglia van.

Terry Cox, still racing, and winning.

Steve Kitchingham from the mushroom farm on Spring Lane

There was Roy, Roger and Margaret Green along with Mick and Carol Glynn from Westdale Service Station.

Dick Wightman and Alan Doxey in a wolseley, Dick still involved with the club, which was renamed Nottingham Autograss Club.

Alan Roberts, John and Alan Till, Paul Watson and Chris Hodgett.

John Whithead who worked at T C Morley's garage at Lowdam.

Can anyone add to the list?

A mate of mine named Bob Long used to do a lot of "grass tracking" in the late 70's early 80's. I have a feeling Langar was mentioned in conversation once or twice

• 2 months later...

I used to go Grass Track with my dad in the 70's, He had a mini, as far as I know we only went to Brinsley though, I don't remember going to Langar except to Learn to drive in 76, My Dad had a Red Yank Ford Galaxy 500 that belonged to Billy Smarts Circus previously and he used to drag the mini on a trailer to meetings....my dad was John Gilbert.

• 4 weeks later...

hi gilly nothing to do with grass track racing but did you say you live great longstone area i was in derbyshire yesterday and saw a notice on the side of the rd for a flower festival in may in great longstone do you happen to know the date for this by any chance,

Hi,

Yes I am in Great Longstone, there are several flower events coming up but the Great Longstone Flower Festival will be at St. Giles' Church in Great Longstone, Saturday May 12th to 19th Inclusive and then there is also the Church of the Good Shepherd in Wardlow on June 2nd to 10th (during Queen’s Jubilee week). I can recommend The Crispin Inn for a good pub lunch and really good beer or if you are one of those 'Gastro' types then the White Lion does some of that, personally...The Crispin, I'm a Steak and Ale pie man myself as my waistline will attest, I have a website with some details of what's around our village, it is a bit basic as I am only just getting into the web design bit really but it has some good links and copies of the village mag to give you a bit of a taster as well as a what's on section.

UNDER THE EDGE

www.under-the-edge.co.uk/

thanks for that gillyi like to visit the flower festivals and have not done this one before saw some of the sjghn but could not quite catch the date will try and have a trip out to your village this weekto yours. and may nip into the pub if you happen to see me please say hi my photo on next meet up thread. if you see me you carnt mistake me for anyone else they broke the mold when they made me .

babs

Ok will look out for you then, although I don't visit the pub every day contrary to popular local belief...what is 'next meetup thread? so I know who I am looking for

gilly go into owt abaat nowt go to meet up on 9th may you will see my photo on that im the one in the purple top long dark hair just look for any hole in a growd as piggy sez it will be me

Nice Site Gilly.

Can I suggest that the village names should be on the site in text. Google will not pick them up from the images.

Adding that text into your signature here will improve your Google rating, and return your site from searches

on the village names.

came up to the flower festivalon sunday very nice but it was quite late when we got there so we only did the church as we made our way home after.

@mick2me

All advice is gratefully received , I am new to web design really this is the first site I have really done anything with. I can network, build a pc from the first screw etc. and Administrate thousands of users.... but web design and admin is something else. I recently purchased (Through the UTE Mag) Fireworks and Dreamweaver and Design Standard so am hoping to find some more time to dedicate to the website and improve it. Could you elaborate on your suggestion re: the Village names etc. I really am new to Web stuff so any help getting it noticed and getting more hits would be amazing.