You know your from nottingham when....

Ooh i love mushy peas!

...When you refer to a 'bread roll' as a cob.

...You allways meet at the lions when your meeting someone in town

....You walk all that way, in all weathers just to make the most of BZR's tripples or singles on a night out

....You remember the mosiac that used to be outside the council house

....You remember the old market square & When people put washing up liquid in the fountains

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"AY - UPP MI DUCK" I met a chap in Nottingham who had come to see the sights; he'd travelled from Blackpool, where he'd visited the lights. "He said " I've been to Nottingham castle though i

Peculiar to Nottingham? Maybe so. My folk's house had 'the twitchell' next to it which was a short walkway from Redhill through to a housing estate leading to Arnold. It was only characterised by the

Stu..................dunt yuh mean sat'deh!! & it's difficult for a nottingham lad to say 'you couldn't' , in the nott'm dialect, some people are easily offended!! Try it in yuh best notts natter

You know where the police box was on the square (And your dad told you Doctor Who was in town, although the latter would have been only for people of a certain generation!!)

You know where "Bee Hive" worked (That's a good 'un)

Market square was called Slab Square years ago, by the locals.

When you call the arcade behind the Council House, Burton's Arcade, even though they've been gone for years.

YOU CAN REMEMBER THAT THERE WAS A ROAD BETWEEN THE LIONS AND THE LAWNS BEFORE THE FOUNTAINS ON SLAB SQUARE

SO HAVE MOST PEOPLE KATH BUT DESPITE THE ICONIC PIC OF THE MODS OUTSIDE THE COUNCIL HOUSE THIS WAS IN FACT THE ROCKERS END OF THE SQUARE THE MODS WERE WERE THEY BELONGED AT THE TOILET END WITH THE HIPPIES, HEY HIPPO GIRL. EVEN TUG WILSON WOULD MOVE THEM TO THE OTHER END IF THEY GOT THERE BEFORE WE ALL ARIVED FROM THE HART IT WASENT GO DOWN THE OTHER END LADS THEY WERE HERE FIRST IT WAS DOWN TO YOUR END LADS.TO THE MODS

...you don't think that Gotham is where Batman comes from.

...you know what Colwick Cheese was.

...you know how to get to Bread and Lard Island

...you had a close relative that worked at a bike factory

...you know that the Lace Market does everything but sell lace.

To follow one of Stus

You know what someone with "Fur Coat and no knickers" is describing

YOU CAN REMEMBER THAT THERE WAS A ROAD BETWEEN THE LIONS AND THE LAWNS BEFORE THE FOUNTAINS ON SLAB SQUARE

This is 1969 so you might even be on it :smile:

square-1.jpg

And when did those trees disappear from down the sides of the square?

Haven't been into the city for years....I don't do crowds.

Just Googled the square,what was all the fuss about?...it looks like any other Tesco car park.In ten years the pillocks will no doubt alter it all again...after all it's not their money is it?

I'm just surprised that Mellors and his chums on the council haven't got a permanent waltzer in the middle of it.

I agree with the negative comments about the current Square, I hate it.

Look at all those folks sitting in the square, can they do that nowadays?

No katyjay, they can't sit around now, at least not as many of them. All the sitting area has been pushed over to one side of the square (the Debenhams side) but there isn't that much of it. And anyway, who would want to sit and look at the flat boring concrete-slab nothingness.

Looking at the old photo again has made me realise that the new monstrosity has almost no greenery. No doubt designed by the same people who did Trinity Square. The previous version had grass areas, trees, split levels, flowers, and was actually interesting to look at.

And anyway, who would want to sit and look at the flat boring concrete-slab nothingness.

But now it's nice and flat for all the fantastic 'venues' they have lined up ;) Just like it was 100 years ago.

daccabcc.jpg

And in reply to the thread title....When you hear folks moaning about what they've done to the town centre.