Need to sort this 'Garden' out..

Hi all you green fingered forum members! I dont know much on gardening, i know how to plant and mentain pretty flowers.. but thats about it.. Other than that, im useless!

i need to sort this 'garden' out asap ready for summer.. no idea where to start though!! Its all of 12foot x 12foot.. Roughly. Ill give you a mental image of it ; It has 6foot fencing all round, a gate either side so neighbors and myself can bring our bins through and in.. a tree stump, and just.. mud basically, it has patches of grass & looks awfull. So im debating weather to either seed it or turf it. If i were to dig it over, top soil it then seed it.. how long would it take to grow? would i have grass by summer if i looked after it well?

At the bottom.. i want a raised flower bed running accross the bottom, Would i have to buy anything to make it or could i get creative n make one myself?

I basically want to know about the seeding/turfing... & what i could do with this tree stump!! its not half in the way, maybe i could use it to grow something up, around & over... or could it be dug out, is it even worth it??

CREATIVE IDEAS PLEASE! :) & im not a millionare, so affordable ideas prefered :P

thanks guys & gals!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m with Ian and Margie on this one.  We downsized considerably 14 years ago when we moved to Nottingham.  What we had before was a brilliant place for our boys to grow up in and we had everybody else

Well it worked for us, FLY!   I decided we would only have stuff in the house that fitted the following criteria:   it's useful it's got sentimental value it's aesthetically pleasing

Re the grass, Pixie.

It's a small garden with six foot fences surrounding it, does it get enough sunlight for a successful lawn? Many people are turning to other materials, hard surfaces etc, for this size of area nowadays but they can be much more expensive.

If you decide to go for grass, for such a size area I wouldn't mess around with seed, I'd go for turf and get yourself an instant lawn as it would be relatively cheap for a garden that size. I have used these people in the past, they've been around a long time but there are plenty of other reputable dealers around.:

http://www.miskfarmturf.co.uk/

They'll also advise you on laying it, if you need bit of topsoil whatever. April and September are the best months for laying turf but you can do it throughout the summer if you're prepared to keep it well watered. If you don't want to lay it yourself you will generally pay about twice as much.

Hi Pixie, I've had plenty of experience in establishing a garden from practically nothing.

Regarding your future lawn I agree with Stu and think turf's the best.

And regarding that tree stump, why not keep it and make it a feature by buying an obelisk to put at the side (Wilko's sell these reasonable)? You could buy a clematis to grow up it; there's a big gardening stall in the market (Victoria Centre), everything I've ever bought from this stall has proved successful for me - and they're reasonable.

You could place potted geraniums on the tree stump - or even a piece of sculpture - Wilko's once more are a good, economical store to deal with when planning a garden.

I can imagine your small garden will look a lot more attractive with a feature made of the tree stump, then you would be echoing the colour you're hoping to achieve with the flowers growing on the raised beds down at the bottom.

Other places to go for gardening stuff are the 'Pound Shops' and there's a couple of bargain stores in Broad Marsh, good for looking around in - always check that plants are healthy at the roots as sometimes staff in the shops forget to water. All we need now is the weather!

Other places to go for gardening stuff are the 'Pound Shops' and there's a couple of bargain stores in Broad Marsh, good for looking around in - always check that plants are healthy at the roots as sometimes staff in the shops forget to water. All we need now is the weather!

Supermarkets too can have good cheap plants at times. As Jackson says above though check their condition as they tend to get neglected if they've been in store for any length of time.

Could you make a birdbath out of the tree stump as another suggestion?

If your garden feels a bit gloomy being surrounded by six-foot fence panels perhaps you might consider painting them a brighter colour or shade? You can hang flower baskets or half baskets up in the summer to dress them up and give you some higher level colour? You can easily make these up yourself by buying the baskets/liners at Wilko's and filing them with your own bought in plants.

I tend to avoid garden centres wherever possible and head to the smaller nurseries where better deals can still be had. For me that means visiting Shirley's nursery on the A60 at Papplewick but I'm sure there is something closer for you.

Great idea of Stu's to make a bird bath out of the tree stump.

A beautiful sight I experienced today when looking out of the kitchen window into the garden: I'd left some lovely red apples on a tree hoping perhaps they'd be of use to the wild life out there. Anyway a couple of black birds were perched on the snow topped apple tree's branches pecking away at the fruit.

The view made me feel so happy, the abandoned apples having proved useful at last.

Hi Pixie,

Could you take/upload some photo's, I'm sure the greenfingered brigade could then oblige with more definite remedies

PS: I'm not a greenfingers by the way, so I'm only suggesting.................................

Time to start planting a few seeds in trays of compost to save you money on plants later.

Want something more exotic in your garden, most seed in fresh veg and fruit in supermarkets

can be dried and planted. Chilies and peppers for example.

Last year planted butternut squash which grew to about 15ft but none of the flowers opened

till late autumn?

Anyone else grown owt from supermarket seeds.

Iv bought a couple of hanging baskets that can be hung later on when i pop some plants in also got these 'troffs' as i call them that hang on the fence.. again, will sort them out at a later date. iv got a couple of pots on the path near my back door with bulbs and seeds ready to flower when it gets nicer out. I plan to put the troffs at the bottom above the flower bed, I was hoping to have a garden to sit in by the hot weather & enjoy with my daughter .. If i get turf in the next month or so & lay it myself (i have a rough idea how to do it & people to help) can you walk on it within a couple of days? Keeping it well watered isnt a problem. just a case of digging the garden over, laying some top soil & laying the turf over that when wet....? We had a rockery removed a couple of months back, the garden flattend out & grass seed put in.. but its only just sprouting & it still looks pretty muddy.

Good ideas regarding the tree stump! I was thinking about using it to grow some sweet peas up, i love sweet peas.. but they only come once a year dont they? its only 2ft high, if that.. Its just 'There' in the way lol. The garden catches a fair bit of sun, not loads though as i live in a terrace house.

Was considdering painting the fence too, but its a nice natural colour at the moment & im not sure if itd ruin it if i paint it.. maybe i could put a clear paint or something thats still light on it.

As for seeds from fruits and veg, Mick.. Iv grown a few in the past. Me & my mum used to grow veg in large pots when i lived with her, we used to grow allsorts, tomatoes, sprouts, parsnips.. Although i never found out how they turned out because i moved out before they where done.. I must remember to ask her if she checked them or forgot all about them lol. Iv mainly grown flowers from the seeds of flowers iv been bought of nabbed a couple from mums plants, theyv turned out quite well. I have a packet of seeds i bought reduced at the end of last summer, butterfly mix their called, a mixture of bright colours to attract bees and butterflies, ill be sure to use these in the garden to brighten it up abit!

Anyone else grown owt from supermarket seeds.

I grew a Tescos once, but it left a bitter after taste in a few mouths. I'm going to try to grow some Greene King this year ...................... slywink

...Partner bought me some flowers the other day, Their starting to wither now. Might try and get the seeds from a gerbera & see if i can grow more.

One more question, would you build the flower bed before laying the turf? Partners telling me to lay the turf first.... :S

Was thinking that, but thought itd be easier to make the flower bed then lay the turf... But i think ill do the turf first now, At least ill have something nice to sit on in the warmer months to plant the flowers other than getting a muddy bum! lol

If you lay the turf first you can then cut your beds and borders out into nice shapes afterwards Pixie. To get a feel about how they might look you can lay a hosepipe or similar down on the turf in the position you intend to cut them out. The little bit of turf you cut out and take back up can be turned upside down and dug back into the border(s). Much better to start off with a full 'canvas'.

I like your thinking Stu... Will deffonately do it that way round. As i said - i have no idea about all this gardening malark! The only thing i know sort of about is flowers, even then i need to make sure with people who know more about them than me lol!!

Lot's of great help out there on the internet Pixie - much better than when I designed my last two gardens!

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-grow-a-lawn1.htm

http://www.lawnexperts.co.uk/designing-new-lawn.html

Think about avoiding straight lines and put some curves into your lawn edges and beds. If you have a nice attractive lawn it makes a huge difference.

Gardens abit small for curved borders n that :( So just planning to cover it in turf & do a flower bed at the bottom with some hanging baskets & 'troffs'.. Something simple yet attractive. Gonna get some of them garden ornaments that can be placed onto walls and fences just to add abit of 'fun' its a typical terrace house garden unfortunately, but im determined to make it into something decent!

Although.. just hjad a brain wave! (& it hurt a little...) If i make a raised flowerbed, i could cut the turf a couple of inches from the bed.. and curv the edges.. then maybe slap in abit of coloured gravel... Just an idea.

Ooh now i cant wait for all this snow to sod off so i can get cracking with digging it over & planning it all out!

Yep, remembering that. I need to buy a mower still.. thinking about buying one of those push along non-electrical things. A friend of mine has one & their garden allways looks so neat and tidy! At least i dont have to faff about with extention leads etc