Need to sort this 'Garden' out..

Apart from plants brightening up our lives, too much concrete etc leads to flooding as there are no trees or vegetation to 'suck up' the rainwater, and the run off overloads the underground system.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m with Ian and Margie on this one.  We downsized considerably 14 years ago when we moved to Nottingham.  What we had before was a brilliant place for our boys to grow up in and we had everybody else

Well it worked for us, FLY!   I decided we would only have stuff in the house that fitted the following criteria:   it's useful it's got sentimental value it's aesthetically pleasing

The powers that be won't be satisfied until there's a concrete / Tarmac diamond consisting of Nottingham, Leicester, Derby and Sheffield. It'll then flood even worse than it does now. It's soooooo simple, but the buffoons forge on regardless in this ridiculous quest to eradicate any Green Belt land. Ugh ! Thank God I've seen most of the UK, which is certainly more than our grandkids will ever see !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

It's the first time in 25 years i've found this place unmanageable...it's huge!

As soon as..a rooftop apartment ...my strimmer,chainsaws and mowers....throw them all in job lot!

Apts here are very reasonable in price.

Would'nt want concrete here - it would need powerwashing constantly.

Minimal living space and maximum time enjoying life..

Bring on the garage sale!

We downsized (hugely) 7 years ago and it is great - we only have an open plan dining kitchen/lounge, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom (although there is an outside 'office' which is really just a walk in cupboard!)

The  garden is a bit bigger than the bungalow but is fairly easy to maintain as it is mainly trees and shrubs round the edge, with a lawn in the middle!   

Downsizing is the best way to de-clutter!

• Like 2

Oh no it's not Margie. I split up from my ex 17 years ago, after 33 years, and left my cottage with only two plastic bags of clothes, my CD's, Forest shirt, cowboy boots, oh, and a cat. I've accumulated so much crap since its almost unimaginable. I seriously need another shed, even though this house is slightly bigger.

Well it worked for us, FLY!   I decided we would only have stuff in the house that fitted the following criteria:  

it's useful

it's got sentimental value

it's aesthetically pleasing

......and anyway,  moving into such a small bungalow, it was physically impossible to accommodate all the things from a big Victorian 5/6 bedroom house, including 2 big barns filled with stuff that Paul had accrued over the years!

i must add, I never look in the garage as that is Paul's domain, but I'm fairly certain it is full of stuff!   As long as it's not in the house, that's fine by me...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I’m with Ian and Margie on this one.  We downsized considerably 14 years ago when we moved to Nottingham.  What we had before was a brilliant place for our boys to grow up in and we had everybody elses kids round a lot of the time too to utilise the facilities we had. That was fine by us as we knew where our teenage boys were most of the time. When the boys had finished at university and buying their own properties we rattled around the house a bit and just keeping on top of everything was becoming a real bind so it was time to move.  We’d accumulated so much stuff because we had the space to store it but we weren’t hanging onto all that any longer.  We had 3 skips, a bonfire going for 3 weeks and an antique dealer came and bought a pile of stuff  and we sold the steam roller, tractor and sit-on lawnmower. It was sad, even now I think of something (an object) and wonder what happened to it, but we had to move on.

Now we’re considering the next move ....... somewhere on a high floor but on one level,  that we can lock up and leave as there are lots of places in this World we haven’t seen yet.  The only problem is the dog, but when he’s gone to Jesus we won’t be getting another one, that’s for sure.   Must have a browse of the Rightmove app!

• Like 3

Similar here. We had a large corner plot that was just grass and the kids loved it. Bicycle courses, three legged races, dobby off ground, the games went on and on, It was more popular than the local park with the neighbours kids. The main attraction with this house when we bought it was the tiny garden - and it's all hard surfaced now. Not a blade of grass in sight....  bliss

• 11 months later...

We have a problem with a small stretch of soil we had a very large rosemary bush that had started to go dry ( lack of rain ),

We decided to chop it down but the root remained firm and wouldn't budge. Now here is the question. If we cover the root with soil then sheeting to prevent weeds shooting up from previous weeds and covering the lot with gravel , do you think the the bush will start to root again?

I have a couple of photos that show what I mean if they are of any use.

Any suggestions? Thanks-

57 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

do you think the the bush will start to root again?

It's a universal law nonna that the only roots you can kill are the ones you want to keep, everything else......

• Like 2

Ok , I'm not very up on universal law unfortunately. :mellow:Found that out with mint. The root is well and truly embedded, we've all tried to get it out. This morning I managed to get some out by twisting the trunk but the rest is too far down. We keep digging but it's no nearer to coming out.

nonna I have dug a couple of rosemary bushes up when they have got to woody

and have had no problem. I think if you dig around the root cut hack or saw off below

ground level you should be ok. If you leave it above ground level it will push it's way

though. 

ok Sue thanks will leave it at that and hope for the best. the tip of the trunk is well below level of the soil.

Sue, my son came home from work and managed to pull most of the root out. We have now covered it with soil. 

• 5 weeks later...

Once a rosemary bush has become woody it is best to get rid of it and start again.  I know that some herbs can have deep and thick roots so if yours is like this I would dig around the roots about six inches away from the stem and chop them off at a point where they are thin enough to cut through with a sharp spade. This should allow you to lift the plant completely. I have lifted thick, woody Gorse in this manner with no great difficulty.

This from www.gardeningknowhow.com:

"Can You Hard Prune Rosemary? Gardeners are sometimes hesitant to make drastic cuts on rosemary shrubs because a few herbs with similar, woody stems don’t recover if you make severe cuts. A mature rosemary plant, however, tolerates this drastic pruning, even into the woody parts of the stem."

Read more at Gardening Know How: Can You Hard Prune Rosemary: Learn About Rejuvenation Pruning Of Rosemary https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/rosemary/rejuvenation-of-rosemary.htm

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Compo. We have now solved the problem and the postage stamp garden is set out and will be finished in a few days. The plants and stones are in place and we are waiting for the gravel which will be delivered when the builder has finished the wall. ( privacy from road around pool)

• Upvote 1