Need to sort this 'Garden' out..

Ill get looking tonight, im off to do a spot of decorating now :) cos if i dont do it now.. itll never get dont lol

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m with Ian and Margie on this one.  We downsized considerably 14 years ago when we moved to Nottingham.  What we had before was a brilliant place for our boys to grow up in and we had everybody else

Well it worked for us, FLY!   I decided we would only have stuff in the house that fitted the following criteria:   it's useful it's got sentimental value it's aesthetically pleasing

Hi Stu,moving into a new house soon,do you wanna' pop over and do me a fancy job on the front and back gardens?.The Mexican gardeners,do not appreciate,Motown or Stax music,being played at high volume.

Sanford is a nice old fashioned american town.

I would not thought it to be a place to hear Motown?

What would be the generic sounds of the region?

Had a real treat today when looking out from the kitchen window: a flock of starlings descended on one of my apple trees - the one I'd left a load of red apples hanging on.

The birds had a feast; they must have been starving as they flew away leaving only a few cores hanging from the snow capped branches.

Glad I left them there now.

We dont get many birds around here, so im hoping to attract some & some butterflies when its all done. :)

Hi Pixie, you need a buddleia if you wish to attract butterflies.

I bought one in a sale for £1; it was slightly damaged but with a little bit of care and love it survived. Last year its mauve blossoms were incredible. I felt so proud that I'd saved the plant - that may have been why it put on such a terrific show! I think the bush still looks attractive with its dark brown blossoms now that winter's here.

You could put a buddleia at the bottom of your garden - in the corner; you can always cut it back if it gets too big. One thing you'll be sure of though is that you'll get lots of butterflies; its common name is the butterfly bush.

I noticed last week in Wilko's that they'd started selling fruit trees; these are very economical when you consider how much established nurseries charge for them.

You have to persevere with plants, finding the right place for them; but once you've found the right place and the plant/s start to flourish then you feel real happy.

The pound/99p stores have lots of shrubs and fruit bushes at the moment.

But they are not well kept and have started sprouting in the packets.

get them now whils they show some signs of life and are not growing too drawn.

Just chopped our 'Buddleia' down (Or rather what was left of it !!) SWMBO got a bit 'over ambitious' with the secateurs two years ago and it failed to recover!!. We have got two others that have self seeded one of which i have got to shift as we intend to re do the front garden this spring , getting rid of all the "Mares tails" that (Thanks to my wonderfull neighbour) have sprung up in this last summer . But yes they certainly do attract the Butterflys

Oooh, my mum has one of these! Could try n grow some from some seeds i could nab off her plant & see how it turns out.. Any other suggestions for plants? for both flowerbed, troffs & hanging baskets? But dont forget - Small garden!

Beefsteak,you would go wandering off down the road to Cape Canaveral,or Kennedy space centre,never get the job done.

Stu's my man only wants music,no mention of food or lodging,and you want me to pay your ex wives,ex's?

thanks for the link, iv buy them if i didnt have a draw full of veg and herb seeds already! ;D

Bought me sen one of them mini green houses with clear zip up plastic and 4 shelves.. £10 from B&M bargains in colwick - bargain! Anyone have one of these? Are they any good? I also bought myself some troffs, tubs & pots - Poundland in colwick has a huge range of garden stuff such as decorations, tubs, seeds and bulbs. I bought some of these seeds and bulbs also.. I dont know much about them but i thought they looked pretty & would brighten the garden up.. anyone got any info on the following;

Sparaxis

Anemone - White

Gladioli

Freesia

Marigold

Nasturtium

Petunia

Pansy

and sweet pea.

Id love to know what to put with what in troffs... for better effect & also what is suitable for a hanging basket as i bougth a couple of those too, im going to buy a pack of 'Hanging basket favourites' seeds, a pack of i think 5 little sachets of seeds.. Also going BnQ for some plants, i know how to plant them & keep them alive but anything beyond that is way past my knowledge. Got some sgtrawberry, tomato and kiwi fruit seeds - i grew these every year in my mums back garden so gonna give am a whirl in my new mini green house.. Next stop - TURF! Although looking outside after the snow has cleared... The garden seems to be coming along well with the grass seeds that where scattered about 2/3 months ago, just a couple of patches here n there without any grass. Should i ditch the tuf idea, dig these little patches over n place some seeds too?