• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With so many of the Black Boy Hotel photos missing, due to Photobucket, I thought I'd post this article from the Nottingham Post today. There are some good photos of the Black Boy Hotel that

On Ebay at moment photo of interior showing part of the former Black Boy Hotel

I don't think we've had a photo here of Fothergill's Albert Hall. The main central tower is more than slightly similar to the Black Boy.

The first and only time I went into the Black Boy Hotel (I was around 15/16). What first I noticed was the large oak staircase in the middle of the foyer and each side of the staircase stood a blackamoor statue.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks Cliff Ton for sharing the image I posted on both the Nottingham FB pages ;) The photograph appeared in the 1960 edition of Guy Denison's This Is Your Nottingham.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

CliffTon #91, The pic shows the gap where Littlewoods building will be, my dad worked on that site, at that time, as a joiner, was very good, and proud of his tools, unfortunately other workmen were not, and whilst working on the site a fellow workers hammer head broke of the shaft and hit dad on the side of his cheek, now during the war he had been a gunner in the navy and once his ship was attacked and sunk by uboat U130, splinters from the ship embedded in his neck and cheek, being very small they were not removed. back to the site, after a few weeks it was found the impact of hammerhead on same area of spinters from war caused inflammation which eventually became a sceptic cyst, all one side of his face, eye, nose and half mouth disappeard, he eventually went to General hospital, operated on and a few weeks later was well again, seeing the photo and passing, a fortnight ago, the site, now Primark, reminded me of the history this site had for our family, thank you for the pic

• Upvote 1

Not sure when the building was demolished but I went there for an interview in 1967. It sounded like an exiting job with lots of cash. It was in reality a very nasty selling scheme, encyclopedias. The interior really was impressive. Shame it's gone.

Was surprised to read on here the Albert Hall gone too. Went there in either late '68 or '69 to see and hear the beautiful soprano Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, she was absolutely fantastic, the best moment of my life in Nottingham. Anyone else go?

That gives me a job to do ! , where on earth on this vast array of forums did I read it had gone (after a fire I think the post said) ?

Found it, a post by Kendaldrac dated 8th April 2015, listing buildings demolished.........

Have'nt been to Nottingham for 25 years, just assumed he was right !

Will definitely have a day out in the City this year, starting to miss the old place

Found it, a post by Kendaldrac dated 8th April 2015, listing buildings demolished.........

Have'nt been to Nottingham for 25 years, just assumed he was right !

I can see what happened now.....

The original Albert Hall was burned in a fire in 1906 and the wreckage was demolished. The building which is there now replaced that earlier version.

Near enough Denshaw, think the actual title was The Colditz Story, when the British first arrived there The Poles were already there, one had been in Nottingham and asked Pat Reid (played by John Mills) if he'd been in there, maybe a check to see if he was British? off topic but in the book the film was based on it said The Poles all seemed to be Master Locksmiths, using keys made from fire bucket handlles, the Germans knew this, and at one time asked them to open a door having lost the key to it, which they did.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure Enigma is correct too, again it's John Mills character that asks the question "Do you know the Black Boy"? I may have the two films mixed up though!

Just watched a few bit of Ice Cold in Alex as I remembered that there was a section with John Mills talking to Sylvia Sims about his next drink. The only place I found where John Mills mentions any sort of bar is about 2/3rds the way through the film when he is talking about the bar he knows in Alexandria, with a marble top bar and high stools which appears at the end of the film. Try The Colditz Story I think.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if they sold this in the Black Boy, I can't remember if it was a tied pub or a free house, a little too young to drink (legally) then

Blackamoor-Sweet-Stout-Labels-Hardys-Kimberley-Brewery-Ltd--Hansons-Ltd_57965-1.jpg

PhotoBucket's antics have really decimated this sites photos'. Surely a more equitable thing to do was to change their hosting rules from a set date and all photos posted before that would remain available to third party hosting.

I think the Black Boy was Home Ales, but it's a long time ago, and the old memory plays up.

• 3 months later...

With so many of the Black Boy Hotel photos missing, due to Photobucket, I thought I'd post this article

from the Nottingham Post today.

There are some good photos of the Black Boy Hotel that you may not have seen. It makes you angry to

see that they demolished the Black Boy Hotel and there's now a bland Primark store in it's place.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/remembering-black-boy-hotel-one-694296

• Like 5

I have just read this thread from the beginning and found it really interesting.  This is happening in a lot of our cities taking down beautiful buildings  to put up flat concrete monstrosities most times for no other reason than "they are old". In Newcastle we have beautiful buildings by John Dobson, these buildings  are concentrated in the center of town and streets going down to the river. I think because of the fact they are all together and not spread out they have been left as they were, the usage has changed much over the years but the structure stays the same.  We had a lovely building called the Handyside Arcade old shops balcony above,  the place to go as a teenager now a car park for Eldon Square one of worst decisions of the council. The Central Arcade is also as it was, the interior is all tiled in a toffee colour, its is one of the most visited arcades in town.  I only lived in Nottingham for 3years so this site allows me to see the city as it was when hubby was young.  Has the Pelham Corner been demolished.

• Like 1