• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With so many of the Black Boy Hotel photos missing, due to Photobucket, I thought I'd post this article from the Nottingham Post today. There are some good photos of the Black Boy Hotel that

On Ebay at moment photo of interior showing part of the former Black Boy Hotel

I don't think we've had a photo here of Fothergill's Albert Hall. The main central tower is more than slightly similar to the Black Boy.

Perhaps part of the BB's demise was caused by it having a men-only bar!

I used to go in the BB quite a lot when I first moved to Nottingham (from 'Ucknall) I thought the atmosphere there was great  - peace and quiet away from the city outside.

The men-only bar was on the left toward the back of the ground floor. Despite being men-only, there was always a woman barmaid there serving these fat, lecherous, cigar smoking city "gents". It wasn't nice in there. Much, much better was the cocktail bar on the first floor (up the magnificent staircase). They didn't sell beer by the pint when I first started going there but did after a few months. That wasn't too much of a problem most of the time as we found a way of getting quite intoxicated very cheaply (depending on who was serving). For some reason, we had started drinking rum & Pernod. There was one particular barman who would carefully measure out the rum and then do a "say when" with the Pernod, obviously not knowing that the Pernod was quite a lot more expensive than the rum. Thinking back, how on earth could we have drunk such a mix?

There were lots of other little nuances that made the BB particularly appealing, on that sticks out is that the restaurant (where we ate occasionally) served orange ice-cream. The BB is the one and only place I have come across this. They made it themselves and it was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I think that was “Peggy’s Bar”. Didn’t she used to smoke a pipe, or am I confusing that with something else? The Thurland just up the road also had a men only bar. Personally I couldn’t see any problem with that. No men go to the Women’s Institute meetings at our village hall but I don’t think they can be legally excluded -  I wouldn’t dare to ask! There are just times when men and women prefer their own company.

• Like 1

I don't remember the pipe but I do recall it being Peggy's Bar.

I agree about men-only bars. There are women only places, I'm sure, they are just not defined as such, as you say.

I had my engagement celebration dinner in the grill room at the old Black Boy. Still married to the same lucky girl. The name of the Black Boy was subsequently taken by the Berni Inn at the top of Market St. I think you could get a meal for two, including wine, for not much more than £1. It sounds cheap now but it was still quite a reasonable price then. 

It was Berni Inns that introduced me to this site - or rather a Google search which led me from Berni  to Bristol then Nottingham then The Grosvenor which then links directly here to Nottstalgia.

What piqued my interest was that I have a lot of memories of  the Grosvenor, having lived next door for some time

I’ve eaten in the Grosvenor many times but that goes for all the Berni Inns in the area - even as far away as the Peel Arms at Tamworth and the one at Boston. I wish there were similar places for such quality and value now. I think I’ll get some friends together and have a Berni evening. Prawn cocktail, rump steak and Black Forest Gateau, washed down with a bottle or two of Rhône! Happy memories. I think there was a “special” unique sauce poured over the steaks whilst being grilled. Probably a secret recipe.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Anyone remember The Black Boy on King Street/Queen Street.  Used to go there on a Saturday night in the early 70s cos you got chicken & chips in a basket for 75pence (I still have a ticket that they gave you on ordering your meal)  and if you had a meal you were allowed to go into the disco.  The disc jockey was female and she was excellent on her choice of dance records.   Also Yate's Wine Lodge did become a bit of a dive!

Yate's is one of the best pub's I've ever been in ! Total cross section, & cross generation..old women with her Co_Op carrier bags..Young lad hanging off the balcony with his trousers round his ankles & the very tasteful band..Real pubs in the town centres are sadly no more. When did it become the Talbot again?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, HSR said:

Yate's is one of the best pub's I've ever been in

Wow! Can't say I've ever heard that said? I've only ever drank in town from the age of 15 "Town Lad" it's town or I stay in, I still very really miss a Saturday night, most know they will find me in the Cross Keys on a Sunday afternoon, but out of all the pubs new & old, Yates's is the only one I refuse/stopped going in (could have been the plastic glasses period) not been I for 20 odd years, used to drop in for a "hot dock" when I stood the the market on Exchange Walk, meeting my gang in the Bell before the Blackburn game, I'm going to try drag em over Yates's! 

Not been to Blackpool for years, they had two Yates's & that one in Sheffield & Manchester was grim.

• Like 1

My mum told me a couple of stories about the Black Boy from when she was nursing during the war. From what she said it was a bit unsavoury then. One was that she was asked out by someone to meet him at the Black Boy but she decided not to go. One of her friends went instead and he had got a private room there, apparently he ended up chasing her around the table until she could make her escape!

• Like 1

I Know what your saying Radford Red..I avoided it myself from '78 onwards ..popped in when they had a spell of putting bands on midweek about 1994. As a 16 year old it was way more interesting than the Bell though! The Rowing/University connection I found stuffy.

Is there still a Yate's in Leicester? 

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, NewBasfordlad said:

And unless I am very much mistaken Christine Alcock nearest the cars on her way back to the ladies shop where she worked just up Long Row

Could you tell me more please about Christine Alcock or her family, she could be a relative of mine.

46 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Could you tell me more please about Christine Alcock or her family, she could be a relative of mine.

Unfortunately New Basford Lad sadly and suddenly passed away last August/September time Alpha.  A terrible loss to Nottstalgia too. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, LizzieM said:

Unfortunately New Basford Lad sadly and suddenly passed away last August/September time Alpha.  A terrible loss to Nottstalgia too. 

I'm very sorry to learn of this. Thank you for contacting me.

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2012 at 5:39 AM, Bubblewrap said:

While we are at it can we have the Victoria Station & Drury Hill back Too ;)

….  recognising that Victoria Station replaced other buildings which were in central Nottingham in the 1890s, including the grocers shop where my great grandad worked, Thos Furley and Co, Charlotte Street.  I think that company and others affected (including St Stephen's church in Hyson Green) received compensation which contributed towards the costs of relocation.  There is a sign explaining this on St Stephens with reference to 1897.  Thos Furley was relocated to Lower Parliament Street and the new building (now Lloyds Bank) was designed by Watson Fothergill.   (I'm a new member coming to this much later so apologies if I'm going over anything others have raised).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm relatively new here myself CB Hunt, and must confess been sidetracked mainly by music. I came here to discuss this era and area. Where is the Bank on Lower Parliament Street?

Edit..nearly forgot..Welcome...