• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With so many of the Black Boy Hotel photos missing, due to Photobucket, I thought I'd post this article from the Nottingham Post today. There are some good photos of the Black Boy Hotel that

On Ebay at moment photo of interior showing part of the former Black Boy Hotel

I don't think we've had a photo here of Fothergill's Albert Hall. The main central tower is more than slightly similar to the Black Boy.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/12/2016 at 4:33 PM, DAVIDW said:

Doesn't seem to be much of a history online of the Black Boy . I notice on the advertising posters on page 2 of this thread , it says Turner and Co as the owners . They appear to have owned it for over 100 years .

Thomas Turner born about 1816 seems to have been the founder .He died at the hotel in 1887 .

This Rootschat link has him on Smithy Row as far back as 1841and they appear to be a Gunthorpe family .

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=9750.0

This is them on the 1871 Census . Interesting to note that of all the servant , only one is a local .

24353444053_cee4ebc540_b.jpg

Hi David, I am a descendant to the Turners who were proprietors of the Black Boy. Would you be able to help me dig up more info if you’re able to help? Thanks, Josh :)

On 9/8/2009 at 11:53 AM, firbeck said:

The ressurrection of the Flying Horse topic made me think about this wonderful building, the building that was the FH is still there but this has shamefully been long demolished.

I found this photograph on Picture the Past, I reckon it was taken when demolition was about to begin:-

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/petetruman/blackboy.jpg

I'm not sure when it closed it's doors for the last time, I presume that it had a bar accessible to the public, but I don't ever recall going in there when we started going round the town pubs in the late 60's.

I can remember looking in the entrance when I was a kid, they always had a uniformed doorman on the door and the inside was very oppulent with lots of polished woodwork. I don't remember it being demolished either, I think it must have been when I was away at college 1969/1970, it must have caused a lot of disruption to the City centre. All I recall was a gaping hole and a massive brace of scaffolding stretching between the two buildings on either side. Then they built that concrete monstrosity that became Littlewoods, the Planners must have been even more stupid (or corrupt) than they are now to have allowed it to happen.

Last week when I nipped up to see mother, I found another box of my childhood treasures including my old postcard album. I was amazed to see what the original album cover actually was:-

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/petetruman/scan0011-3.jpg

I suspect that my old man's printworks used to print the menus and wine list contents, unfortunately, I just have the cover and the lists have gone.

Does any one have any memories of this place and when exactly was it closed down and demolished, Google searching is a bit vague.

This is amazing! Do you still have this?

'61/2 My friend from down the street was a bell boy complete with brass buttons and pill box hat. I often went to wait for him finishing work and sat in the foyer feeling very out of place.The things I remember above all were the snooty attitude of the staff and how threadbare the carpets were. To me it all seemed tired, worn out and the clothes in the display cases outrageously priced.

None of my family alive knew we ever had the hotel, it wasn’t until I started digging I found out about the hotel. It’s a bit of a grey area after William and we don’t exactly know what happened but we believe his son moved away in the late 19th century to Langold in North Nottinghamshire where some of the family still remain to this day. I found old bank statements from when Thomas and William Turner both died, both would have been millionaires today, sadly we have never seen a penny of that money, we don’t know exactly what happened.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Joshua Turner said:

Hi David, I am a descendant to the Turners who were proprietors of the Black Boy. Would you be able to help me dig up more info if you’re able to help? Thanks, Josh :)

I doubt I could add much more at the moment but will have a look and report back if anything found .

2 hours ago, Joshua Turner said:

This is amazing! Do you still have this?

Unfortunately Firbeck who made that post in 2009 is no longer with us, so you won't get a reply. However, that photo and many others can be found via an internet search of Black Boy Nottingham.

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Unfortunately Firbeck who made that post in 2009 is no longer with us, so you won't get a reply. However, that photo and many others can be found via an internet search of Black Boy Nottingham.

Terribly sorry, I’ve had a look online but struggle to find many of the inside and of the Turners themselves who lived there. 

The report of the funeral of Thomas Turner from the Nottingham Journal , May 28th 1953 . 

It was made worse by the fact his widow Diana Waycott Turner died (the same day as the funeral ) after taking an overdose of sleeping tablets . 

This may be a reason the family weren't talked about ?

"FUNERAL OF
MR. T. TURNER
At the funeral service held at Wilford Hill yesterday for Mr.Thomas Turner, of Old Mill House,
Bleasby. who died on Monday. there were representatives of the owners and staff of the Black
Boy Hotel. Nottingham, of which Mr. Turner had been a trustee.

The family mourners included:
Major J. W. Turner (brothers;
Mrs. K. I. Wright (sister) and Mr. D. Wright (nephew), Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Clarkson, Mr. and Mrs. B. H.
Walker, Mr. J. Crawford and Mr. J. H. Shipstone (sisters and brothers-in-law).

Owners of the Black Boy Hotel (Brunt's Charity. Mansfield) were represented by the chairman, Ald. G. Abbott, and Mr. A. C. Howard, clerk and surveyor to the charity.

The Black Boy Hotel was represented by Mr. W. J Gent, manager, and by thefollowing members of the staff

Messrs. A Gibson. assistant manager. E T. Lirian. chef, B. Greenhough, head waiter, P. Bingham,
head waiter (grill room), Miss J Emery housekeeper, Miss Williams, head book-keeper.
Mr. J. Leeson, head porter, Mr. A. V. Sutton and Mr. B Prior, porters, Mr. T. J. Turner, cocktail barman (also representing the U.K. Bartenders' Guild).
Mr G W Howitt, cellarman, and Mr. F. Wilkinson. garage attendant.

The Nottingham and Nottinghamshire United Services Club was represented by
Messrs. FW Bee, G. A Wharton, LH. Gibson. T. A. Allan, H. B. Fletcher, TN Cartwright (also representing A. H Mann) and A. R. James.
Also present were Messrs. C. M. Perry. A. R. Hedgcock, K. Howitt (also representing R. Wing and O. Spencer), P. R. Morley (also representing C. C. Hanson and Col. A A. Walt a). A, M. N. Rodgers (also
representing Mr. W. D Crane)."

In a later report from June 1953 :

TRANSFER.  The licence of the Black Boy Hotel. Long Row, was transferred at Nottingham Transfer Sessions yesterday, to Mr. Wilfred John Gent. Mr. Gent has been managing the hotel for many years on behalf of Mr. Thomas Turner, who died a few weeks ago. 

27 June 1953 - Nottingham Journal - 

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Just read this post looking at the list of people at the funeral there is a Mr J H Shipstone.

Do any of you know if he was any thing to do with Shipstone Brewery?

29 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

Mr J H Shipstone.

Do any of you know if he was any thing to do with Shipstone Brewery?

Mary , I would say he was James Henry Shipstone of the brewery family.  

There's a marriage in 1899 in  Nottingham for a James Henry Shipstone to a Gertrude Turner .

• Like 1