The more pictures I see of these Fantastic Buildings with so much history and charactor that have been demolished, the sadder it makes me. The saying "You don't know what you've got till it's gone" comes to mind.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With so many of the Black Boy Hotel photos missing, due to Photobucket, I thought I'd post this article from the Nottingham Post today. There are some good photos of the Black Boy Hotel that

On Ebay at moment photo of interior showing part of the former Black Boy Hotel

I don't think we've had a photo here of Fothergill's Albert Hall. The main central tower is more than slightly similar to the Black Boy.

Shops at top of Derby Road near Canning Circus, the old brewery at Mar Hill Carlton, the Viyella building on Castle Boulevard plus many lace buildings in the Lace Market. Then there is the Park Estate.

A house called Kingswood at Bulcote, The Institute and Coffee Tavern at Hucknall, Mortimer House on Castle Road, and strangely, Budworth Hall at Ongar in Essex.

Here's the Black Boy before it became the building we recognise. Seems to have been a bit of a nondescript place until Mr Fothergill got his hands on it; this is the building which he modified to his own style.

xOUHnF0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I heard that when the Australian cricket team stayed there they had the bells on the council house clock silenced. I don't know if this is true.

• 9 months later...

Strange to think that just 50 years before that photo of Cliff tons, that section of road was more or less a bog flooding in bad weather...And even stranger if you stand there today that below your feet is stone from the Fosse originally quarried by Roman engineers nearly 2000 years ago.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1931/itinerary1931p3.htm

• Upvote 1

Doesn't seem to be much of a history online of the Black Boy . I notice on the advertising posters on page 2 of this thread , it says Turner and Co as the owners . They appear to have owned it for over 100 years .

Thomas Turner born about 1816 seems to have been the founder .He died at the hotel in 1887 .

This Rootschat link has him on Smithy Row as far back as 1841and they appear to be a Gunthorpe family .

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=9750.0

This is them on the 1871 Census . Interesting to note that of all the servant , only one is a local .

24353444053_cee4ebc540_b.jpg

That clears up the confusion in my head. In my precious diaries of the late 60s/early 70s I've written that I went to The Black Boy and I just couldn't figure it out because THE Black Boy had been demolished. Now I know where I was drinking on those evenings, thanks for the photo Cliff Ton.

• Upvote 1

Just looking a bit more for anything on Thomas Turner . In the 1840s a Thomas Turner was the licencee of The Shoulder of Mutton , Smithy Row .

I presume he then left there to go to The Black Boy and can see his name in the 1860s at that address .

Confusingly there also seems to have been a Shoulder of Mutton on Barker Gate .