firbeck

Black Boy Hotel

Thanks to Michael for bringing this topic back, I've repaired quite a few photos so there aren't as many gaps now.

• Like 2

I have just read this thread from the beginning and found it really interesting.  This is happening in a lot of our cities taking down beautiful buildings  to put up flat concrete monstrosities most times for no other reason than "they are old". In Newcastle we have beautiful buildings by John Dobson, these buildings  are concentrated in the center of town and streets going down to the river. I think because of the fact they are all together and not spread out they have been left as they were, the usage has changed much over the years but the structure stays the same.  We had a lovely building called the Handyside Arcade old shops balcony above,  the place to go as a teenager now a car park for Eldon Square one of worst decisions of the council. The Central Arcade is also as it was, the interior is all tiled in a toffee colour, its is one of the most visited arcades in town.  I only lived in Nottingham for 3years so this site allows me to see the city as it was when hubby was young.  Has the Pelham Corner been demolished.

• Like 1

No health & safety involved when they raised it to the ground.

DT9wG6aWkAEWUsT?format=jpg

I wouldn't have parked me car there, either.

Perhaps part of the BB's demise was caused by it having a men-only bar!

I used to go in the BB quite a lot when I first moved to Nottingham (from 'Ucknall) I thought the atmosphere there was great  - peace and quiet away from the city outside.

The men-only bar was on the left toward the back of the ground floor. Despite being men-only, there was always a woman barmaid there serving these fat, lecherous, cigar smoking city "gents". It wasn't nice in there. Much, much better was the cocktail bar on the first floor (up the magnificent staircase). They didn't sell beer by the pint when I first started going there but did after a few months. That wasn't too much of a problem most of the time as we found a way of getting quite intoxicated very cheaply (depending on who was serving). For some reason, we had started drinking rum & Pernod. There was one particular barman who would carefully measure out the rum and then do a "say when" with the Pernod, obviously not knowing that the Pernod was quite a lot more expensive than the rum. Thinking back, how on earth could we have drunk such a mix?

There were lots of other little nuances that made the BB particularly appealing, on that sticks out is that the restaurant (where we ate occasionally) served orange ice-cream. The BB is the one and only place I have come across this. They made it themselves and it was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Worrabarraht them 2 who seem to be standing up on the rubble? 

No mention of Samuel Brunts in this thread or this site, who's statue was outside the Black Boy? 

I think that was “Peggy’s Bar”. Didn’t she used to smoke a pipe, or am I confusing that with something else? The Thurland just up the road also had a men only bar. Personally I couldn’t see any problem with that. No men go to the Women’s Institute meetings at our village hall but I don’t think they can be legally excluded -  I wouldn’t dare to ask! There are just times when men and women prefer their own company.

• Like 1

And unless I am very much mistaken Christine Alcock nearest the cars on her way back to the ladies shop where she worked just up Long Row

I don't remember the pipe but I do recall it being Peggy's Bar.

I agree about men-only bars. There are women only places, I'm sure, they are just not defined as such, as you say.

I had my engagement celebration dinner in the grill room at the old Black Boy. Still married to the same lucky girl. The name of the Black Boy was subsequently taken by the Berni Inn at the top of Market St. I think you could get a meal for two, including wine, for not much more than £1. It sounds cheap now but it was still quite a reasonable price then. 

It was Berni Inns that introduced me to this site - or rather a Google search which led me from Berni  to Bristol then Nottingham then The Grosvenor which then links directly here to Nottstalgia.

What piqued my interest was that I have a lot of memories of  the Grosvenor, having lived next door for some time

I’ve eaten in the Grosvenor many times but that goes for all the Berni Inns in the area - even as far away as the Peel Arms at Tamworth and the one at Boston. I wish there were similar places for such quality and value now. I think I’ll get some friends together and have a Berni evening. Prawn cocktail, rump steak and Black Forest Gateau, washed down with a bottle or two of Rhône! Happy memories. I think there was a “special” unique sauce poured over the steaks whilst being grilled. Probably a secret recipe.

Upstairs at the Grosvenor was the place to take my ladies at the time, great value for money, that included Christine above. SWMBO has confirmed the ID by the way. NO not that she was great value for money, she was the girl friend before the one I married.