American Airborne in Nottingham

10% of the Scottish population are English born, many like myself, and her indoors, are economic or political refugees from tory England. We came here 9 weeks after the John Major election victory in 1992. I was sick of life on the dole and it was clear to me that 5 more years of tory government, meant 5 more years of misery for the working class.

Rented out the house on a years minimum contract, packed a few things on the back of the BSA, including a tent which was our accomodation, and headed for Shetland. I got a job behind the bar in a dog rough fishermans pub in Scalloway, three months later I changed to become a packer in a fish factory, (up to 18 hours a day), a year later I was foreman of half the factory (8 hours a day), a year after that I was head of Quality Control for the whole factory.

Four years after moving we sold the house, (at the bottom of the market), and I bought myself a taxi. Eight years of taxi driving and I retired aged 59. I could not have done that, or similar in Notts.

The unemployment rate in Shetland is 1.3%, anybody who wants a job can get one, if you don't like your job, you leave and get another straight away. Now that's Nostalgia.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got all of my Dad's photos from England in WWII scanned and uploaded to my Flickr photostream. I organized them into an album (WWII Photos). I tried to upload them to this site, but I couldn't mak

I thought that any of you that have been reading the 'Ziggy' part of this thread may be interested in this. I called in to see my mum today and quizzed her a bit more re Ziggy. In 1942 when she was

I've been sorting through my Dad's old photos and found a photo of his buddy, Ziggy Bednarski. On the back he wrote his address as Little Falls, New York. I'm pretty sure this is the fellow in this

Posted Images

Similar story with my aunt, she dated (and a bit more, met the family stayed Christmas with them) a GI also based at Langer, still have some of his letters to her in (remains of) orignal envelopes, in one his asks her the typical "what size Nylons do you take?" will see if I can find letters, (Got in touch with USAFF dept, but wouldn't tell me a thing)

A few days ago my mother received some photos of who we believe to be her biological father, obviously after spending years not knowing anything about who he was, it was a great surprise after researching his uniform, to discover that he was member of the 508 PIR. My mother obviously has been busy along with other family members researching. So far we believe that survived the D Day Landings, returned to Notts and then left in September 1944 for the Battle of the Bulge.This is as far as we got and do not know if he survived. We don't have his a name just some photos of him with my Granny, Great Granny and Great Auntie and then some with his fellow soldiers.

Letsavagoo would it be possible to email you a picture to show your mum to see if she recognizes my Grandfather?

Hi ladyfox, wellcome to the site,in regards to your photo's,look closely in the background. Often you may find a clue,date,time,and place.

Over the years I have done traces with just old photo's to go with, most G.I.s had company photo's taken,these usually give the names of each soldier.

At times it can be frustrating,but also very rewarding.

Thank you all, I have now found out that these are not members of the 508 PIR, I think seeing the wings and the timing of when my mum was conceived fitted so we just presumed they were 508 . I then managed to match the badge and was very excited only to find that its the standard US Army Air Force badge...boo but apparently from the belts etc we have a narrow chance to locate the regiment so i will keep looking. Any help that can be given will most be gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I've been sorting through my Dad's old photos and found a photo of his buddy, Ziggy Bednarski. On the back he wrote his address as Little Falls, New York. I'm pretty sure this is the fellow in this thread. If anyone is interested, I can send a copy of the photo.

I would love a copy of this photo. My mother has passed away since I wrote the posts in 2012. I still have an empty tin of quality street that ziggy gave my mum. I have sent you a message Desdemona.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I got all of my Dad's photos from England in WWII scanned and uploaded to my Flickr photostream. I organized them into an album (WWII Photos). I tried to upload them to this site, but I couldn't make the images small enough to upload. So hopefully this link will get you to the photos.. My Dad's name was Dominic Manfredi, and Ziggy Bednarski is in three photos. Another buddy pictured was Humbert Sarazin. I tried to name the photos with identifying information. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to tell you more. You might have to copy the link into your browser.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaredmond/sets/72157663667786614/

• Upvote 6

Fabulous pictures............

I never fail to respect the amazing things that their generation did to ensure that our generation was relatively safe....

Of course I mean safe from the oppression of the Nazis and their chums.

We (our generation), to date, have failed to see that future generations will be safe from the oppression of the rich and obscenely wealthy.

• Upvote 1

Yes really great pictures. Thanks for posting. What a shame my mum is not still here to see them. I can see the attraction with ziggy. He is rather handsome. He's actually similar looking to my dad who she met just after the war.

I wonder if it would be worth writing to any descendants of zingy but who knows what mud you might stir. Perhaps best to let it lie now.

• Upvote 1