What really pees me off at the moment is the way they are pricing petrol and diesel at the pumps.

I don't go to Sainsburys and buy sausages at £5.54.9 (Five pounds fifty four point nine pence) a kilo or whatever. How can they price it at £1.41.9 a litre.

I suppose people stay clear of this one as if they round it off we know which way they will go but surely it is not right to price it at a non existent denomination. It should be illegal. We do not have half pence's any more so .5 has gone so why have .9's crept in. I never remember a .9 piece. It is like they think we are fooled or something. Sorry this has turned into a bit of a rant but its not right is it. Is it?

I can still remember going to bed one Sundaynight in 1970-71,with 240 pennies in every pound I had,woke up the next morning with only 100 pennies.

They called it decimalisation,I had a different name for it,F------ rip off,and you remember the poor old folks ,they had no idea,bless 'em.

Within a year we were taken into the common-market,dishing out billions to a non entity in Brussels. Then to top off the decade we got ------- Maggie f------ Thatcher,the milk thief,the Grantham grocer,the Iron p---pot.

• Upvote 1

I can still remember going to bed one Sundaynight in 1970-71,with 240 pennies in every pound I had,woke up the next morning with only 100 pennies.

Yes and you got a little card with a table to work how much everything really was.

What date was "Decimalisation Day"?

Getting back to petrol prices, I still find it amazing that after extracting it from the earth, shipping or piping it to the UK, cracking & refining, storage, transport and retailing, the price is to the tenth of a penny the same where ever you go.

Price fixing??

I had a diesel car way back in 1985 when there were very few on the road, and it was a tiny Ford Fiesta too. The number of times garage staff came out shouting 'you're putting diesel in' . Anyway coming to the point I was paying about 45p for diesel. Petrol was about 75p. Now why is diesel more expensive than petrol? To help my son out we baby sit several times a week while they work and it is a 50 mile round trip. Fuel cost are crippling me and it aint going to get better is it.

Your praps right Bro, but didnt they refer to the fuel as DERV?

Yes Mick, diesel was sold as DERV.

DERV was used to differentiate diesel fuel with road duty paid from red diesel for heating/farm/boat use.

I think DERV was an American-ism and probably entered the language following the war when 'Diesel' would have been too Germanic.

Invoices from suppliers always referred to DERV, not 'diesel'.

Additionally, petrol was never invoiced as ‘Petrol’; it is always invoiced as 'petroleum spirit'. The word or name 'Petrol' is a registered trademark and cannot be used.

• 5 years later...

I've managed to go over six months since I last put any petrol in the car! I was trying to get to 2018, but it beat me today, must have been that Christmas Day trip to Carlton to see the in-laws 39.810 litres @ 1.189 forty seven pounds & thirty three pence ...... shocking.   

• Like 1
On 2/9/2012 at 10:35 PM, littlebro said:

Yes Mick, diesel was sold as DERV.

DERV was used to differentiate diesel fuel with road duty paid from red diesel for heating/farm/boat use.

I think DERV was an American-ism and probably entered the language following the war when 'Diesel' would have been too Germanic.

Invoices from suppliers always referred to DERV, not 'diesel'.

Additionally, petrol was never invoiced as ‘Petrol’; it is always invoiced as 'petroleum spirit'. The word or name 'Petrol' is a registered trademark and cannot be used.

DERV = Diesel Engined Road Vehicle.

When an apprentice at the bottom of Sneinton road we sold Major petrol, two star was 4/8p a gallon,three star 5/2p a gallon and Shell four star was 5/10p a gallon, a gallon of 20/50 Major engine oil was 10/6p a gallon in a tin container, Champion spark plugs 5/0 each and a set of points were10/0

Incidently,AW Lymn the funeral people always had Major two star petrol, Mr Lymn drove a grey Triumph 2000 but he had three star, his daughter who married Mr Rose drove a Ford and had three star petrol, all this back in 1968/69

Rog