Dogs and other family pets

My parents had 2 Boxers as well, Boots the male and Linda the bitch. Boots was a brindle with 4 white feet, hence the name and Linda was tan with white socks.

They had them at Carnarvon Road and when we moved to Cliff Drive in ROT, they started breeding and that was the beginning of Trevart Kennels.

I have got some early photos of those dogs and photos of myself with them at an early age as well.

Will always have a soft spot for Boxers.............

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

Yes dogs get you that way....all soft ! I've had dogs all my life. I've had 2 chihuahuas together one died of old age but I still had the other when I married. One evening I sat watching tv and all of a sudden the sleeve of a jumper that had fallen on the floor started to rise up just like a snake. It frightened me to death until I realised that Poppa had found her little nest and couldn't find the way out. She loved to bury herself.

Her favourite place was under a vee necked jumper with her head popping out. We lost our beloved Max 2 years ago, he had tumours. In my moments of sadness I thought I'd given them to him which is stupid but he'd had the same number of them that I'd had. Strange. We were devastated and my husband is still not over his death. Now we have another dog same breed...cross pinscher but she looks like a tiny alsation. That is Misty and I also look after Sushi pure pinscher my daughters dog when she's at work.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

I got a 'bargain' a couple of years back.... A friend of a friend had some baby Netherlands dwarf lop rabbits going for free!
Our Charlotte wanted a rabbit, we decided we couldn't afford the £900 that they were asking for Golden Cockers, so this was a 'cheap' option. Our Adam was rather upset so we decided to get him the other female they were still giving away............... Cheap? HA!!

One hutch £60
Collect hutch from Birmingham £20.
Raw materials to build a run £60
Having them neutered after the only female of the two started having babies!!.....£120
Bag of straw £2 a week

And to cap it all they weren't 'dwarf lops' either, they were full sized Netherlands greedy b45tards, so it's a £3.50 bag of bunny brunch every week along with a quid of greens .

On the plus side with our garden being well 'fenced in' I can let them have a bit of free reign and haven't had to get the lawn mower out for a couple of years!

My problem too, Jill. I have never left Jake in a kennel. I used to leave my Lab, Solly, sometimes. Always felt like I'd stabbed my best friend in the back. :-(

Edited for spelling.

• Upvote 2

rrv8rs.jpg

End of an era.....Brothers died aged 16

Pooh (left) old and arthritic having fits...put to sleep Dec 7th last year.

Benji (right) ...arthritic,looking his age... had a violent fit this afternoon...put to sleep.

We've never been apart for a single day since they were pups,they came everywhere with me....A sad day, but that's life aint it?

This is the new kid on the block...Casper. Just us now....he's a year old cross collie and terrier....wears me ragged...little bugger!

nyh55y.jpg

• Upvote 8

Poohbear, I know just how gutted you must be feeling tonight. Been through it myself and it's the worst feeling in the world. You have given them the very best and their lives have been good. Casper is absolutely adorable and he'll be a great comfort to you. Such a cheeky looking face!

• Upvote 2

We're heading off on holiday in a few days but Jack the Patterdale Terrier will be going with us. This isn't always the case though, if we fly somewhere he can't go. We hate leaving him but will not put him in kennels, only with a dog-sitter where he is one of the family. Of course last September he really didn't like where we'd left him!

We've always had dogs but certainly won't be getting another one when Jack goes to Jesus. We're not getting any younger and there are a lot of places in the World we want to visit and dogs are such a tie when you hate leaving them for any length of time.

• Upvote 3

Thanks Jill...I feel lost at the mo...gotta make a fuss of young Casper.

All this happened while I was in the middle of an attack suffering breathing difficulties...so a hell of a day and without a mate down the road I hate to think what would have happened as I live alone. He dug the grave today too in pouring rain....I owe him big time.

• Upvote 1

Oh Poohbear I'm so sorry you've had such a dreadful day. I'm sure Casper will be a great companion for a good few years. Hoping you feel better in yourself soon.

• Upvote 1

Poohbear, so sorry to read about your having to have Benji put to sleep, but as Jill said, he had a long happy life with you and his brother. Sadly, some dogs aren't that lucky. Casper looks a great dog, by the way. Also sorry to hear you've had some breathing problems today. Take care...

Days like you've experienced today Poohbear stick out like daggers in the memory. They get easier with time but never go away. You're in my thoughts. I know how rough it is. 16 years is a long time and they are members of the family.

It's painful but it's the price we pay for love.

• Upvote 1

Well it's time to feed the Hedgehogs. Not exactly pets and not exactly cheap to run either.

Every night at dusk out goes a large plate of cat food, mealworms and ground up peanuts but not the salted kind. Add a dish of Fresh water and if you're lucky there will be a rustling noise coming from under the hedge followed by one of several prickly friends looking for some supper!

They are such characters and it's amazing how much they can eat in one night.

They're pretty well mannered too. Usually leave a turd on the plate as a tip!

• Upvote 4

I have had a few dogs in my time, but the best one was my Rotti she was about 4 months old and she was being trained by an RAF police chap, but his wife was expecting and he already had an older trained Rotti. So master and I took her home and it was at the time when Rottis had a bad reputation so master said we had to keep up her training. It was hard work doing working dog trials but well worth it. We trained in a field which belonged to Hayes Farm Newstead. Her name was "PIP" when we had to line up at the end of the field and call our dogs Pip was always in the lead but the only way she could stop was to just knock me down then she would end up sitting on me, when you got up in a morning she used to come and see you but she would lean on your leg and fall a sleep. While out side she got her paw stuck in the grate boy you should have heard her whine, best was she was not hurt. If the man came to read the elec meter I would just tell her to sit often the man could not wait to leave. My son use to heel/walk her with out a lead being 14 years old he thought this was great (forgot mum had done all the training) best thing was when I took my English "O" Level at age 40 and we had to do a demo and talk Pip must have been the only rotti to attend collage. Made her sit and left the room my talk was of course on dog training. The sad thing was when she was 3 years old she stated to limp thinking she had just hurt her leg we took her off to the vets, she had bone cancer the vet said has she was a large dog she could not take off her leg so we did not have a choice. RIP "PIP"

Sorry for your sad loss Poohbear. Our pets do mean so much to us. We have been through your ordeal three times, all Irish Setters. One died in my arms at 18mths old and the other two lived to old age, both having a charmed life with us. In the years of their lives we only holidayed in England and they went everywhere with us. We were all very sad when they died within ten days of each other. Being large dogs their presence was missed in more ways than one

I hope your sadness can be lifted a little by Casper, who I am sure will be a pleasure to own, he has such a lovely face, and I hope you feel well again as soon as possible.

• Upvote 1

Came on this late as usual. Pooh. So sorry to hear of the loss of your buddy. I've been there three times now and it never gets easier. I concur with what others have said and hope you are soon able to remember the good times. Casper looks like he will be able to keep a smile on your face eventually. Hang in there Bud.

It is so sad when we say goodbye to a much loved pet, no, not a pet, a real friend.

Mrc Catfan & I have been there many times before, for this reason & both of us getting no younger we decided when Monty departs to "Rainbow Bridge" he won't be replaced.

We both couldn't bear the thought of leaving a pet behind when we have gone.

It will be very strange without a cat or dog in the house.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4