Dogs and other family pets

SG, I only use my iPad and I can transfer photos from postimage to the forum - I just open both of them at the  same time (open two tabs) and do what AG says, although I tend to copy the one that says 'Direct link'. When pasting into the reply box, I just hold my finger on the page and the word 'paste' comes up. I just tap that and it's done

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

9-DDF83-B0-C46j2-4-E1-A-953-E-164-FD62-Cthis This is my other boy his name is Wolf, the other picture is Kai. Thanks for all the help with transferring pictures. 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

They do have their moments but they kept me going after my husband passed away, gave me a reason to get up in the morning. The groomer came last week, he is excellent, so they are looking at their best at the moment. No running thru muddy puddles yet!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

IMG-352810ee2c8fc9f90f51244945fd4454-V.j

Stavertongirl, i am in complete agreement having a pet to care for when losing a loved one gives a reason to get up and face the day. When my husband passed i was the owner of a very lazy english bulldog so i decided to get him a friend who i hoped would encourage him to get out more. I adopted a retired greyhound who is even lazier than he is, but the love and companionship they give me i forgive them.

• Like 6

Yes, we forgive them anything, don't we? Young Tarquin woke me in the early hours wanting food. He's getting a bit portly and has no off switch when it comes to eating, so he's on a diet. This means there's no food available in the night. My other two moggies are grazers but, due to Tarquin, there is rarely anything for them to graze!

Feline weight watchers it is.

• Like 4

The vet in Doncaster had a thing about overweight dogs. He said they should have a waist and no fat on their ribs. Could never work out where the waist should be! Mine are very hairy and do look big but it is mostly fur, he always insisted on weighing them every time we went. It was a right performance as they can set their paws and can’t be moved. It isn’t easy picking up a 43kg dog who doesn’t want to go on scales. They dont eat every day although there are always biscuits down, some days they just snack occasionally, it worried me at first but am used to it now. They don’t have tinned dog meat, they have raw beef and chicken, each once a week. It is how the breeder fed them and we continued with it, although they do have a Sunday dinner with me which always goes down well.

• Like 3

Vets, like human GPs, are very keen on keeping weight in check and rightly so as obesity can and does cause health problems.  My vet has a chart on the wall showing the various shapes of cats and dogs viewed from above, from undernourished to very obese.

I always chuckle at owners trying to get dogs on the scales. Some are very obedient and comply immediately. Others don't!

Once, I arrived at the vet with a moggie in a carrier and couldn't get in due to five people...two owners and 3 vet nurses...wrestling with an Irish Wolfhound in the doorway! It was the size of a small donkey and had staked its ground. It wasn't going in!  I had to go round the back in the end!

On another occasion, as I arrived, a small dachshund came racing out of the door and off down the road, pursued by vet, owners, nurses and receptionist. They didn't have a hope in hell of catching it. That hound could run!  Very worrying because it wasn't looking where it was going, just running in blind panic. I never did hear what the outcome was but hope it just made its way home.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I’m afraid mine are in the don’t catagory, it can be embarrassing as once they decide “no” it is very hard to change their minds. Even if they go on scales there is always a leg not on, put that on and there will be another one not on. At least they enjoy going to vets, meeting other dogs etc. My friends dog will not even get out of her car and wedges herself into a corner, if they manage to get her into vets she screams the place down. Being a very large German shepherd their consultation is usually done in the car park.

• Like 5

The most hilarious incident I've ever seen at the vet was an old lady with an elderly terrier.  Consultation over, lady was settling the bill at the desk, leaning on the top and having a good chinwag with the receptionist whom she obviously knew. Lady had a large handbag which she had left open on the floor next to the desk. Elderly terrier gets restless and keeps pulling towards the door. Owner takes no notice and continues her chat.

Eventually, elderly terrier can wait no longer, cocks his leg and pees in the handbag! I was in silent hysterics!

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I've mentioned before that my dogs are expert rat catchers. Well, this year seems to be a bumper year for these horrible toxic creatures and the dogs are in great demand by the locals to clear their premises (wineries, farmyards, outbuildings where all sorts of things are manufactured).

They go out at about 6 am with Pierre (my property caretaker) and don't reappear until about 6 in the evening - absolutely filthy and ridden with rat fleas. They have a bath of running water waiting for them which they absolutely relish. It's really interesting to see how they approach the bath - very cautiously and slowly until they're almost submerged and then dunk themselves under the water very quickly. Apparently, fleas dislike water and the slow immersion of dog gives the fleas time to keep to dry 'land' then, that the last moment, the dunking shocks the fleas and they give up their grip and get washed away. I understand this is fairly common amongst dogs.

• Like 2

When I had my dog, as soon as I pulled up outside the vets, she would start trembling. I'd drag her to the door, struggle to get in said door and close it. She would hunker down on the doormat and I'd drag her, complete with doormat to the desk to check in. Devil of a job getting her on the scales, then into his office. I do miss her though even though she embarrassed me a few times. 

• Like 3

Last year, I took Andromeda to the vet. Andromeda is the pet cat of the husband of my friend who runs Cat Rescue.

Andromeda is a strange looking moggie. Highly intelligent and almost simian in her facial features. She appeared to be a bit off colour so I took her to the vet.  As soon as I opened the box, Andromeda leapt out, did a few circuits of the consulting room, ran up the vet's trousers and sat on his head! He eventually got her onto the examination table and, as soon as he let go of her, she repeated the performance!

I felt like a fraud. He couldn't find anything wrong with her but he did suggest that if I brought her in again, I should book with a different vet.  :wacko:

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I'll have to come back to this thread, I've got to head out just now.  Some great posts since I last looked.  Got to agree with Katy though.  Jake is just like that. I used to think, what's wrong with him, he's never been hurt here?   Then I remembered he had his reproductive equipment removed here.  I guess I'd be a bit nervous of a place like that.  :Shock:

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Andromeda leapt out, did a few circuits of the consulting room, ran up the vet's trousers and sat on his head!

Reminds of Tom sawyer giving medicine to his aunts cat...

• Like 2

Years ago we had a few sheep.  One cold winter’s day we discovered one of the ewes with a broken leg, we think she’d panicked and run into a chain harrow that was kept in the corner of the field.   My husband carried her and put her in the back seat of his nice Mercedes car and drove to the vets.   This caused shocked surprise when he walked into the waiting room carrying a pregnant ewe.  Suppose a farmer would shoot an injured animal but this girl was one of our pets.  The vet fixed the break and put the leg in plaster and then we had to keep her in the barn for several weeks.  She went on to deliver 2 lambs that year and several more in subsequent years.  She was a good un!   

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, katyjay said:

Yeah Loppy, but they only take them once! No need to be wary the next time. LOL. 

They've got good memories.  He's probably wondering what they are going to snip next.  After all they snip his claws too.

• Like 1

Our vet has a table like a miniature car lift.  He lets it down to floor level, encourages the dog to step on, then he presses a button and the dog is raised to a comfortable level to check.  it is also a scale so he can be weighed while on there.

• Like 2

One of my two spaniels happily climbs into the car to go to the vet but as soon as we start to move she starts to sing loudly. On getting there she shuts up and walks in quite happily but expects to be seen straight away, everytime the door to the consulting room opens she pulls to go in. When it is finally her turn it is weighing first, this results in a puddle on the scales. Then the vet fusses her (in the meantime getting a nurse to mop up the aforesaid puddle) and gets her to the table, only thing is as soon as he tries to pick her up there is another puddle. At this point things are becoming embarrassing so after the procedure I lift her off the table, wonder of wonders there is no puddle. Wanting to get out without any more accidents we go to pay the receptionist who can't resist coming round the desk to say hello. Oh dear , another job for the nurse. The ironic thing is that during the entire visit the dog's tail never stops wagging. It's a good job the vets are understanding.

• Like 3

It's very true that animals don't forget discomfort they've experienced at the vet.

Some years ago, we had a cat named Spock. A very special moggie was Spock but just after his first birthday, he decided to go walkabout in the early hours of a June morning and nipped out of a window at my partner's house.

He was hit by a vehicle which didn't stop and he was seriously injured. He spent 2 weeks in hospital, having lost the use of his back legs, tail and bladder. The vet was very negative about the situation but I had seen his tail move slightly and Richard felt Spock move his paw pads so we kept hoping.

In hospital, the vet had to empty Spock's bladder manually by squeezing his abdomen, which Spock hated. It must have hurt. We were eventually allowed to take him home but Richard had to learn how to empty the bladder in the same way. It was distressing for all concerned.

Slowly, Spock recovered the use of his legs, tail and bladder but whenever he went to the vet, the first thing he did when lifted onto the table was a copious pee...before the vet could squeeze his abdomen!

• Like 4