Dogs and other family pets

There should be a separate thread entitled ‘Vets’, especially if others have plenty of stories like we do. 

We had a beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback for 14 years.  We loved her so much.  Unfortunately she was accident prone and spent a lot of time wearing a cone and on one particular occasion she managed to get the cone off while I was out and then chewed off stitches on her front leg. Fortunately I hadn’t been out for long but after wrapping her leg in a towel I got her in the car and drove to the vets. She didn’t like going there at all and once we got in the door and I sat down, exhausted from the stress of what had happened, she immediately jumped up onto my knee!  Our wimp of a dog, all 32 kilos of her, sitting on my knee was an amusing sight.   She cost us a blinkin’ fortune in vets fees over the years but we’d do it all again.    A very loyal and faithful dog.  

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

You all could be telling stories about our dogs.  Theyve all got emotional and fearful problems. Sushi when misbehaving we ask her if she wants to have a bath. She scoots off and hides head down to make herself look smaller, yet she loves the pool and swims quite a while. Misty when she goes to the vet is fine until we get out of the car, so uphill all the way is a torment, she drags and sits down . In the waiting room she sits on my knee and tries to hide behind me as does Sushi. She's very wary of any dogs who enter, shes curious but at the same time a bit frightened. The 2 chihuahuas are just curious and sniff the air at everyone. Don't think yet that they have the experience of the vets yet. But Lulu hates her nails being cut. I manage 1 nail a week.

Years ago my mum had 2 poodles both had pups but one had to have a C cut and kept pulling at her sts to the extent that a collar was put on her but somehow she managed to dislodge the collar and chew her sts once again. She managed to get out of the house and mum found her down the road. I forgot to add that for further protection mum had put a pair of knickers on her to keep the dressing clean. Once found Cindy was minus knickers and collar. :Shock: 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Knew it was going to be bad weather today. Got up this morning went to let my boys out they peered out the door looked at me as if I was crazy and went back into front room and went to sleep. Bet they would have gone out if I had put their leads on for a walk.

• Like 1

Its raining here too quite heavily in fact. The dogs want to go out , I open the door ,they poke their noses out and do a u turn. Little Lulu doesnt like to go out when its cold so when I insist she goes out she too does a uturn and hides under the table. Between the table legs and the four legs of four chairs I can't get hold of her.

• Like 1

Raining the other day and my lad had no intention of going out....physically chucked him out...shut the door and turned round and the little sod was in his bed...forgot the back gate was open.He legged it through the rear door dog flap and dived in his bed in less than five seconds.

P1010013.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

They won’t be happy later on it is grooming day. Kai tends to roll on his back with his legs in air playing dead and Wolf wanders off and I have to chase him around house brushing him as he passes. Need a nap after I have done it! 

• Like 1

What beautiful boys you have. Long hair......I know how you feel. My LH chihuahua loves to be brushed and yesterday I gave her a good combing which collects all the loose hair. I could have stuffed a cushion with it. Misty the bigger pinscher likes to be combed but if I happen to touch a sensitive spot thats it she goes berserk and won't come back to me. There are hairs everywhere. But I suppose thats the joy of having dogs in the house.

My two shed hardly any hair at all. If it's left it builds up and up until they look like fur balls and they have to be groomed with a stripping comb. I took them for one of their bi-annual strips a few weeks ago but I do give them an intermediate 'coiffure' myself when they start looking untidy.

A week ago I intended posting about my dismay at not having any birds visit the garden since we had the two cats. I was ready to rant on about harbouring killers ( birds, toads and frogs turning up). Also, why we have suddenly got mice visiting the pantry, even with the killers around? No use nor ornament!

Then, a few days ago one of the cats turned up injured. Run over.  Dislocated hip and damaged claw. The hip will not stay in. Vet phoned this morning. Can we operate? How much? £1500! Yes :rolleyes:

My two have German shepherd in them so moult 365 days a year, although it does ease off after the winter/summer moults. Does drive me mad sometimes when I have just cleaned up, turn round and there is hair on the rug again, but then what is life without dog hair. PeverilPeril hope your cat makes a full recovery, any price is worth it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Then, a few days ago one of the cats turned up injured. Run over.  Dislocated hip and damaged claw. The hip will not stay in. Vet phoned this morning. Can we operate? How much? £1500! Yes :rolleyes:

Awful news, PP. I've had that experience and the sight of your little friend, injured, just the most terrible feeling.  I do hope your feline friend makes a speedy recovery. I know they cost us a fortune but you can't put a price on love!

• Like 1

Nice sentiments Jill but I don't love our cats and they do not love me. All that purring and brushing up against you does not fool me. It's how they survive.

However I do care for them and about the pleasure that they give to Mrs PP. I wanted a dog - now dogs do love you and are selfless in their devotion.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dogs do give more companionship but I do like cats as well. We took in a stray when we had 2 German shepherds. He decided he was a dog and if they were in garden and barked he would run out to see what was going on. Mind he was a bit of a bruiser, biggest tom we ever had.

• Like 3

PP, sorry to hear about your cat and even more sorry to hear about the vet bill.  3 years ago our little dog went missing and turned up about 5 days later with a dislocated hip.  The vet couldn’t fix it because the injury had occurred more than 24 hours previous.  Jack had to go to an orthopaedic vet in Lichfield and although he had the ball of the femur cut off he made a remarkable recovery and you can hardly tell he’d had an operation on his hip.  Recovery was aided greatly by hydrotherapy. Don’t suppose cats would entertain that though ;)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

That's encouraging news Lizzie. Re therapy. M had a very large G&T and I am sipping a very large Calvados and we are recovering nicely (from the bill). Panto the cat is home and seems OK. His brother is showing a lot of concern and wondering where his Bro's fur has gone. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about your cat PP I'm sure he will bounce back. But it must be very worrying for you.

• Like 1

What remarkable creatures cats are! Panto had a new hip yesterday and apart from a limp he is behaving almost naturally. He was trying to get out today but must keep him indoors for at least a week. He needs to grow a lot of fur back too. He looks like a part plucked chicken.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Had to take one of my boys to (new) vet this morning, his brother went as well. He wasn’t himself yesterday, just laid down doing dog eyes and didn’t really want to move. Same first thing this morning, I got up at 5 to see how he was. As soon as my sister arrived and we got leads out he was back to normal. Decided to take him just to be on safe side, they had a whale of a time, all these new doggie friends to meet, except the snappy chihuahua. Vet couldn’t find anything so clean bill of health, but I did get their flea treatment. Took them to park for a run, everything as normal. They are now napping, I am exhausted! Think I may have been conned:glare:

• Like 4