Dogs and other family pets

^^^I'll second that^^^

My two are supposed to be working today but, as it's still muddy from the earlier bad weather they don't want to go out to the farms. There is nothing we can do to persuade them. Shutting them outside or almost anything else merely results in the most ear-piercing shrieks until they are let in again.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When our pets needed to take tablets we used two spoons to crush them and sprinkle the powder on their food.  Surprisingly the cats never made a fuss but Jack (the Jack Russell) was suspicious and gav

Yes friends, our little Jack is now resting peacefully 4 foot beneath one of our flower beds.   I’ve just not felt like logging on here for a couple of days.  Yesterday morning the very diff

I have now had my new companion for 4 days, Ripley became Jj, got fed up of being asked why we had named him after the place called Ripley! He has settled in really well and up to now has: Pulled

They sure learn from each other.  I'd always been a one dog man until a couple of years ago when we took Bailey in as a rescue.  Bailey now copies a lot of Jake's tricks and visa versa.  It's more work and expense to have two, but I think its been worth it for them and us.

• Like 2

This is the second time I have had 2 dogs, first time it was a bitch that had a litter and we kept a pup. It was fascinating to see her teach him things and even though he was a lot bigger than her she could back him up if he did something she didn’t like. She was definitely the boss. My present 2 boys, although they are brothers from same litter, have such different personalities. Kai is very laid back, takes everything in his stride, Wolf is definitely more needy and does need a lot of assurance. Luckily he instantly fell in love with my sister, he absolutely adores her and it is recipricated by her. She would love to have a dog but works long hours so can’t, think my 2 boys are one if the reasons she wanted me to move down here. Glad to report that Kai is back to normal now after his vet adventure. I think my sister was surprised at amount of vet bill but I would rather go without to make sure they are okay.

• Like 2

Back to the vets again today, thank goodness it is only a 10 minute walk. Kai definately isn’t right, very lethargic and is not eating right (had to hand feed him to get him started but still didn’t eat much).Had blood works done this time, it picked up inflammation/infection, everything else okay. He’s had an anti-inflammatory injection to see if that helps. His temperature was a bit high so we have to go back tomorrow to see how he is. He seems sore on his back legs, never happened before he has always been healthy, bit worrying as he is German Shepherd cross. Just hope the injection helps. He did have a good time at vets though, 4 other dogs there, lots of sniffing and wagging tails. Glad he is insured, bill mounting and they are talking about x-rays and scans.

Vets again this morning, Kai seems a bit better after the injection yesterday, getting up easier, had something to eat last nite without any prompting. Now got anti-inflammatory liquid. Told vet they don’t have wet dog food but she said he will just take it from syringe or put it in some chicken. Couldn’t get the flipping lid off the bottle, battled with it for ages and then got scissors to it which worked. First try with syringe was a disaster, he clenched his teeth so couldn’t get the stuff in his mouth. Tried putting some of it in his cheek, he just looked at me and let it dribble out. Managed to get some in his mouth, didn’t know dogs could spit bit I swear he spat it at me, not impressed. Brainwave, ham in fridge gave him some without and then put a dribble on each bit, folding it up so it wouldn’t run off. Job done. Don’t know if I will be able to do it again, he has to have it once a day until Monday when he goes back to vet and he has probably cottoned on what I did. Vet is on about x-rays, don’t really want to get to that as he has had a traumatic year and don’t want to have to leave him there so hoping this is the solution. Thanks everyone for your best wishes, it is much appreciated. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Saw another side of Bailey last night.  I always take him out before bedtime.  He was anxious to go but I just thought he needed to.  What I didn't know was that there was a rabbit in the back yard.  I just opened the back door and let him out as usual.  He took off like a rocket, never made a sound.  I saw a flash of white and knew what he was after.  Jake would have been baying and scared it before he even got out of the door. Bailey is silent, black and deadly.  I couldn't see where he'd gone. The rabbit got under the fence but only just.  Probably spoilt his night.  Lol.

• Like 1

Reminds me of another agressive habit he has.  He has a running battle with Mrs. L's small vacuum cleaner. He ignores the big one. Maybe he doesn't want to take it on.  When she gets going with that he gets into a crouched position and watches every move it makes.  Then with no warning he lunges at it and actually bites the plastic top.  It has teeth marks in it.  Then its back to the crounch and then another lunge when he's ready.  It's hilarious to watch.  I don't know why he does it.  He's always nice to people, but rabbits and vacuum cleaners of a certain kind are on his hit list.  :biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Our cats are scared of my vacuum cleaner.  One rushes outside as soon as it's switched on, the other one watches it cautiously until it gets about 3 feet away, then she scarpers as well

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Raffles doesn't even wait until it's switched on! She disappears as soon as the vacuum comes out of the cupboard. Tarquin is getting braver but will keep a respectful distance between him and it.  Crystal took no notice because, being deaf, she couldn't hear it.

Once knew some people who had a long haired cat. He not only showed no fear of the noise the vacuum made, he loved being vacuumed with the upholstery attachment.  Hilarious to watch and they never had to comb him!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My parents had a dog and every time the Hoover came out he laid down to be vacuumed. Used to drive my mom mad as she would do him and carry on hoovering and he would move and lay down in front of hoover again. She had to put him in garden so she could get done.

• Like 4

fullsizeoutput-25f.jpgHonest I didn't mean it I was hungry and I thought it was a steak but it all broke up in my mouth. Promise I won't do it again. Mummy was right she sent me to bed without my crocchetti.noblue

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

True, the Lira was in thousands but didn't amount to anything. It's much easier now with euro it's just like pounds and pence.

A bit like the first time I went to Turkey. Changed some pounds to Lire and instantly became a multi-millionaire!

Nonna that's a picture of a dog who knows you too well. Gives you those big eyes, a little tail wag and all is forgiven...   

• Like 2

How did you guess, but that was today, yesterday not quite the same:shout:

But she is a terror, uncontrollable, jealous , always on the front line, bossy, won't leave Lulu alone although Lulu instigates the rough and tumble and she's a quarter of Lily's size.She eats everything going from paper tissues to € 50 notes and wasps to leaves. I have practically no leaves left on low level plants.  But yesterday she was every word we could call her but today it's " we do love you really"

• Like 1

Just been talking to Panto the 7 month old cat that had a new hip 9 days ago. His fur is growing back nicely and he is zooming around chasing his brother as if nothing has happened. I'm getting rather fond of him. The brothers are quite useless though. Left the pantry door open over night so that they could catch the mouse that has been nibbling the veg. No evidence of mouse being caught. All they did was pee'd in the pantry :angry: Ungrateful boggers.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Passed the bank this morning and took my forlorn €50 in to see what they could do. What a parlaver. " can you stick it together with cellotape" " No I didn't do it because it says not to use glue or cellotape" "Oh let's see what we can do" After 20 minutes or so and lots of tapping on the keyboard the "solution" was that they'd send it "down " ( to their accounts dept) and if it's approved:wacko: it will be credited to our account. Even had to tell them how it had happened and even showed the teller the photo of the culprit. She did at least laugh. 

I thought it would have been a simple exchange of destroyed for new but that's not the case. She said it would take a while. Nothing is simple here. It would have been simpler to just forget it and put it down to a mistake for leaving the money in an accessible place and learning from it.

There were 2x 50's and 3x5's. One 5 was still intact another was in Lily's bed and we never did find the other, the other 50 was also intact.

On my return this morning I found her bed full of paper tissues and my husbands slippers and my shoes. Any advice will be welcome.

Shes the most lively dog I've ever had and I've had dogs all my life. But she's lovely, last night like every night she climbs up onto the bed, she doesn't make a sound and we don't feel her unless she snuggles into our backs. Last night too Lulu cried so we had to pick her up and they both snuggled down together . They slept all night but mum didn't I was worried about rolling over and squashing her she's so tiny

• Upvote 1