Pixie

pets?

Raining the other day and my lad had no intention of going out....physically chucked him out...shut the door and turned round and the little sod was in his bed...forgot the back gate was open.He legged it through the rear door dog flap and dived in his bed in less than five seconds.

P1010013.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

My boys obviously had a busy niteA0-B7-ED28-F6-D0-41-DA-99-FB-F06-FDD2740

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

They won’t be happy later on it is grooming day. Kai tends to roll on his back with his legs in air playing dead and Wolf wanders off and I have to chase him around house brushing him as he passes. Need a nap after I have done it! 

• Like 1

What beautiful boys you have. Long hair......I know how you feel. My LH chihuahua loves to be brushed and yesterday I gave her a good combing which collects all the loose hair. I could have stuffed a cushion with it. Misty the bigger pinscher likes to be combed but if I happen to touch a sensitive spot thats it she goes berserk and won't come back to me. There are hairs everywhere. But I suppose thats the joy of having dogs in the house.

My two shed hardly any hair at all. If it's left it builds up and up until they look like fur balls and they have to be groomed with a stripping comb. I took them for one of their bi-annual strips a few weeks ago but I do give them an intermediate 'coiffure' myself when they start looking untidy.

A week ago I intended posting about my dismay at not having any birds visit the garden since we had the two cats. I was ready to rant on about harbouring killers ( birds, toads and frogs turning up). Also, why we have suddenly got mice visiting the pantry, even with the killers around? No use nor ornament!

Then, a few days ago one of the cats turned up injured. Run over.  Dislocated hip and damaged claw. The hip will not stay in. Vet phoned this morning. Can we operate? How much? £1500! Yes :rolleyes:

My two have German shepherd in them so moult 365 days a year, although it does ease off after the winter/summer moults. Does drive me mad sometimes when I have just cleaned up, turn round and there is hair on the rug again, but then what is life without dog hair. PeverilPeril hope your cat makes a full recovery, any price is worth it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeverilPeril said:

Then, a few days ago one of the cats turned up injured. Run over.  Dislocated hip and damaged claw. The hip will not stay in. Vet phoned this morning. Can we operate? How much? £1500! Yes :rolleyes:

Awful news, PP. I've had that experience and the sight of your little friend, injured, just the most terrible feeling.  I do hope your feline friend makes a speedy recovery. I know they cost us a fortune but you can't put a price on love!

• Like 1

Nice sentiments Jill but I don't love our cats and they do not love me. All that purring and brushing up against you does not fool me. It's how they survive.

However I do care for them and about the pleasure that they give to Mrs PP. I wanted a dog - now dogs do love you and are selfless in their devotion.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Dogs do give more companionship but I do like cats as well. We took in a stray when we had 2 German shepherds. He decided he was a dog and if they were in garden and barked he would run out to see what was going on. Mind he was a bit of a bruiser, biggest tom we ever had.

• Like 3

PP, sorry to hear about your cat and even more sorry to hear about the vet bill.  3 years ago our little dog went missing and turned up about 5 days later with a dislocated hip.  The vet couldn’t fix it because the injury had occurred more than 24 hours previous.  Jack had to go to an orthopaedic vet in Lichfield and although he had the ball of the femur cut off he made a remarkable recovery and you can hardly tell he’d had an operation on his hip.  Recovery was aided greatly by hydrotherapy. Don’t suppose cats would entertain that though ;)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

That's encouraging news Lizzie. Re therapy. M had a very large G&T and I am sipping a very large Calvados and we are recovering nicely (from the bill). Panto the cat is home and seems OK. His brother is showing a lot of concern and wondering where his Bro's fur has gone. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about your cat PP I'm sure he will bounce back. But it must be very worrying for you.

• Like 1

What remarkable creatures cats are! Panto had a new hip yesterday and apart from a limp he is behaving almost naturally. He was trying to get out today but must keep him indoors for at least a week. He needs to grow a lot of fur back too. He looks like a part plucked chicken.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Had to take one of my boys to (new) vet this morning, his brother went as well. He wasn’t himself yesterday, just laid down doing dog eyes and didn’t really want to move. Same first thing this morning, I got up at 5 to see how he was. As soon as my sister arrived and we got leads out he was back to normal. Decided to take him just to be on safe side, they had a whale of a time, all these new doggie friends to meet, except the snappy chihuahua. Vet couldn’t find anything so clean bill of health, but I did get their flea treatment. Took them to park for a run, everything as normal. They are now napping, I am exhausted! Think I may have been conned:glare:

• Like 4

They know how to con us.  The longer I live around them the more sure I am that they are smarter than we are.  ;)

• Like 4

^^^I'll second that^^^

My two are supposed to be working today but, as it's still muddy from the earlier bad weather they don't want to go out to the farms. There is nothing we can do to persuade them. Shutting them outside or almost anything else merely results in the most ear-piercing shrieks until they are let in again.

• Like 3

They sure learn from each other.  I'd always been a one dog man until a couple of years ago when we took Bailey in as a rescue.  Bailey now copies a lot of Jake's tricks and visa versa.  It's more work and expense to have two, but I think its been worth it for them and us.

• Like 2

This is the second time I have had 2 dogs, first time it was a bitch that had a litter and we kept a pup. It was fascinating to see her teach him things and even though he was a lot bigger than her she could back him up if he did something she didn’t like. She was definitely the boss. My present 2 boys, although they are brothers from same litter, have such different personalities. Kai is very laid back, takes everything in his stride, Wolf is definitely more needy and does need a lot of assurance. Luckily he instantly fell in love with my sister, he absolutely adores her and it is recipricated by her. She would love to have a dog but works long hours so can’t, think my 2 boys are one if the reasons she wanted me to move down here. Glad to report that Kai is back to normal now after his vet adventure. I think my sister was surprised at amount of vet bill but I would rather go without to make sure they are okay.

• Like 2

Back to the vets again today, thank goodness it is only a 10 minute walk. Kai definately isn’t right, very lethargic and is not eating right (had to hand feed him to get him started but still didn’t eat much).Had blood works done this time, it picked up inflammation/infection, everything else okay. He’s had an anti-inflammatory injection to see if that helps. His temperature was a bit high so we have to go back tomorrow to see how he is. He seems sore on his back legs, never happened before he has always been healthy, bit worrying as he is German Shepherd cross. Just hope the injection helps. He did have a good time at vets though, 4 other dogs there, lots of sniffing and wagging tails. Glad he is insured, bill mounting and they are talking about x-rays and scans.

Sorry to hear this SG.  You'll certainly be in my thoughts.  I hope he'll soon be ok.