Arkwright Street

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

Queens Drive was opened for Queen Victoria so she could open the new Clifton Colliery after officially opening the Midland train station.

• Upvote 1

Had to be Queens Drive then. Couldn't imagine Queen Vic and her whole entourage walking down from the station to the Cremorne. So definitely not Queens Walk. :) So what did she get up to on Queens Grove? We should be told.

• Upvote 1

Re: the subject of Queen's Walk and Queen's Drive; specifically the length from the railway station down to the Cremorne Hotel.

It's clear on old maps (I won't post a load of them to demonstrate the point) that stretch of road changed its name around the turn of the 19th/20th century.

When it was first built in the mid 19th century it was called Queen's Walk, partly because that was what people did in those days, as well as ride horses along it. Think similar to Corporation Oaks/Elm Avenue near Forest Road.

Then around the beginning of the 20th century, Queen's Walk was converted to a road to accomodate the newly-invented cars, and its name was changed to Queen's Drive. Depending how old your map is, you can see both names used for the same stretch of road.

• Upvote 2

I don't know about Clifton Colliery, but according to the histories I've consulted Queen Victoria wasn't involved the opening of any of Nottingham's stations. The first station - more or less opposite to the present one (but not quite) - was opened in 1839, but not apparently by the Queen.

It's recorded in a couple of books, including 'Rail Centres: Nottingham' by Michael A. Vanns that the Queen visited Nottingham by train in 1843. Quote from that book: 'For the visit of Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort on 4th December 1843 a new road was built parallel to Station Street, south of the railway. This new road curved eastwards away from the station to join the Flood Road (London Road), and was appropriately christened Queen's Road in honour of the event.'

'Railways in and Around Nottingham' by V. Forster & W. Taylor refers to the same visit by the Queen in 1843: 'Queen Victoria, no less, travelled by train from Chesterfield to Nottingham en route to Belvoir Castle and after being received by the Lord Mayor and other worthies Her Majesty continued the journey by carriage along the new road which had been formed parallel to the line of railway but to the south east and which to this day is known as Queen's Road.'

The second Midland station, with its entrance on Station Street was opened in 1848 - no mention of the Queen being involved.

As for the present station, construction of it wasn't even begun until 1903, a couple of years after Victoria's death.

So perhaps she made a separate visit to open Clifton Colliery, resulting in Queen's Drive being named?

Queens Drive was opened for Queen Victoria so she could open the new Clifton Colliery after officially opening the Midland train station.

The Midland Counties Railway station was opened 30th May 1839

Queen Victoria was on her way to Chatsworth house on 4th December 1843 and was only passing through(& I think it was her only visit to Nottingham)

Clifton Colliery was not opened till 1873 & closed in 1968

My first wife's father looked into buying the chip shop when the Meadows were re-built. His inquiries yielded the fact that there were once 13 chip shops either on, or just off, Arkwright Street. I also bought a fair bit of stuff from the Army surplus shop there back in the 70's.

My first wife's father looked into buying the chip shop when the Meadows were re-built. His inquiries yielded the fact that there were once 13 chip shops either on, or just off, Arkwright Street. I also bought a fair bit of stuff from the Army surplus shop there back in the 70's.

Let fink now.... chippies I used...

Hayes or Haynes of Kirkwhite St (excellent potato fritters and bits).

Ryland Crescent: Great fish, but only had Corona pop.

Waterway Street corner of Summerby? Not very good.

Waterway Street nearly opposite the corner one above. Quick service, but the chips seemed a little underdone. Nice mushy peas though.

Wilford Road near Maypoles. Not bad at all, first time I used wooden forks.

Off Wilford Road, was it on Kinglake Street? Their pies were different to others, I think she made em herself.

Arkwright Street, 'The Friary' Excellent all round!

Arkwright Street, Opposite 'Sandersons', Fairish.

Arkwright Street, just passed the Esso garage. Good well done chips.

Bunbury Street, Eurgh!

Wilford Grove near the paper shop. Best avoided I thought after me one and only visit.

I'm sure I must have missed many off, but this is all I can recall at the moment folks.

Oh no... the one London Road end of Kirkwhite Street, bald chap always whistling. Nice nosh and Redgate pop with the screw in tops too!

There used to be a chippy at the top of Arkwright street not far from Trent Bridge, can't recall what nationality he was, but he used to do curried chicken and chips...Mmmmmmmm delicious they was and great after a night on the beer at the Sir Richard Arkright pub...Bit of a walk, but well worth it.

There used to be a chippy at the top of Arkwright street not far from Trent Bridge, can't recall what nationality he was, but he used to do curried chicken and chips...Mmmmmmmm delicious they was and great after a night on the beer at the Sir Richard Arkright pub...Bit of a walk, but well worth it.

Oh yes, was it next to the furniture shop?

POLISH WOMAN WITH HAIRNET KIRKWHITE ST HORRIBLE HILDAS KIRKWHITE ST TOOK OVER BY TWO BLOKES THEY USED TO PAY ME TO EYE AND RUMBLE SPUDS WHEN I WASA KID BEST FISH N CHIPS SHOE SHOP ON CORNER OF ARKWRIGHT ST AND KIRKWHITESTHILDAS JUST BEHIND SHOE SHOP ONE ON KIRKWHITE ST BETWEEN BLACKSTONE ST AND ANNERSLEY ST OK

TGC, it's been too many years now, I think it was next door to Boots, I don't recall a furniture shop, but then again, as I say, too many years back and moved around a lot since then.

No mention of the chippy on Waterway Street - South side, between Blackstone and Annesley Streets, circa 1950's. The Friary at the top of Summers St was okay, but you got more chips at the one on Waterway St. With six kids and two adults to feed that was important.

Yes was it corner of Bunbury Street/Turney Street? Might even be still there?

I used the one a bit further down Bunbury St from the Embankment, on theft.

Such simple things that use to bring us so much joy. If the bread man had done his rounds that morning, then the bread was ultra fresh. Two thick doorsteps spread thickly with margarine, there was still rationing, and then super hot chips laid side by side to cover the bread with a sprinkle of salt and the two slices of bread squashed together. A chip butty and a mug of tea - absolute heaven.

No sliced bread then, it was carved up with a bread knife, and the hot chips would melt the margarine so it would drip off your fingers.

• Upvote 3

I remember Kevas toy and second hand shop on the right hand side going away from the station. He was a rip off merchant. He probably instigated my mistrusting of dusky foreigners.

My dad worked for a time at Wheatleys butchers on Carrington St delivering meat. I remember one winter in the mid 50's he had to ask a householder on Breck Hill for some hot ashes to put on the road so as to get up the hill.

• Upvote 1

I drove down Breckhill in a 7 tonner in '63 on ice. Very slowly the back end skidded round went horizontal across the road and I finished up facing the other way....all the time slowly sliding down the hill with handbrake full on.

When that truck was sideways across the road and leaning because of the hill it was the most frightening bit of driving I've ever done in 50 years on the road.

On the way home from school, the 'bus went down Arkwright St towards Trent Bridge and I remember just past the junction with Waterway St East, a small electrical component shop, and above on the first floor a bay window with the slogan

TELE

FUN

KEN

I had no knowledge of German audio equipment and for years assumed it must be the Nottingham office for Ken Dodd, though why he should have such a small and insignificant presence there I could not fathom. It must have been towards the mid 60's when I became aware of Telefunken as a good brand of audio/visual equipment, and I wondered if anyone else at the time could have been so misguided !!

• Upvote 3

Such simple things that use to bring us so much joy. If the bread man had done his rounds that morning, then the bread was ultra fresh. Two thick doorsteps spread thickly with margarine, there was still rationing, and then super hot chips laid side by side to cover the bread with a sprinkle of salt and the two slices of bread squashed together. A chip butty and a mug of tea - absolute heaven.

No sliced bread then, it was carved up with a bread knife, and the hot chips would melt the margarine so it would drip off your fingers.

I recall going to the corner shop, not Duncan's, the beer-off on Blackstone Street and getting a half a block of Echo margarine. Once (just once) I remember buying a full half pound of Summer County 10% butter margarine! Luxury that.

The bread and dripping with jelly in, spread on the bread and salted was a regular meal for me. Hehe