Arkwright Street

Andy Bones was on left going towards town as I recall just past GCR bridge? tother one I was on about was on other side of road

Me and my mate bought an Itom 50cc bike each from Andy Bone,we must have looked like real wallies on such small bikes

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May i also tell a little story about Arkwright St shopping which remains with me to this day circa 1963 I went into" KEEVERS" (spelling may be wrong) to buy a scalextric for my young brother which was

Around 1969/1970 I ran a second hand book & record shop on Arkwright Street called "Moonshine". It was so phenomenonally successful that no-one on the planet apart from myself now remembers it. Wh

My aunty Grace went to live on Arkwright Street in February 1958 - she lived in a flat over the top of Jessie Robinson's fish shop, next door to a butchers which was on the corner of St Saviour's Stre

Posted Images

I used to work on Arkwright street in a hairdressing salon called "Grace Bull". she also owned one in Beeston as well as Sherwood.

I also remember the bone factory as we called it and depending on the direction of the wind the smell from there was horrendouse.

I also had my first driving lesson on that street to.

Hi, I used to have my hair done there in the late 1960s

• 1 year later...

There's another thread here about all the record shops in Notts...

I used to spend far too much of my spending money at Arkwright Selecta as well.

It was great to hang out there though.

There would usually be something interesting playing (particularly Progressive stuff).

Every time I come back to Nottingham (usually via the train station) I look left to Arkwright Street at what was a bustling community and is now a sprawling wasteland.

IIRC, located (appropriately) by the railway overbridge was a toy/model railway shop named AMR (?)

It was run by a guy who also organised weekend nationwide trips for the numerous young trainspotters of the time.

Apparently the whole scheme foundered when he was exposed (if that's the right word!) for having other interests in little boys...

Cheers

Robt P.

I remember AMR I bought railway books from there it was run by a deaf/dumb bloke called Jack Gibbons, I went on a number of trainspotting trips and got to know Jack quite well, I never came across any funny buisness though or heard of any.

Brian.

The Medical Centre for the armed forces was near the Canal Bridge and it`s there where I passed for the R.A.F in 1950. Our neighbour Mr Dennison worked at Gunn & Moors making Tennis Rackets ( or repairing them maybe )

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Michael

I spent many a happy hour in there I would always call in there on the way home from Midland station having got off the train from wherever.

If I was in uniform I was treated like royalty and rarely left in a sober state there was always an old tar who would want to swing the lamp whilst buying the beers. It will be missed. The worst part was the women kept wanting to touch your Dickie for luck

A dickie in this context was the blue and white collar on a naval ratings uniform touching it was considered good luck. After a run ashore in Nottingham on a Saturday night it would be filthy. Incidently Nottingham was considered one of the best runs ashore in the country mainly because of the ratio of females to males

(claimed to be 7-1 when I was serving) Whenever I was coming on leave there was always a queue to join me The RNA club was always the first stop

According to the Office for National Statistics, there are slightly more females.

In the 2001 Census, Nottingham (local authority) had a population of 266,988, 132,530 Male (49.6%) and 134,458 Female (50.4%).

Go back a few decades and the indications are that the imbalance was a little wider according to this:

http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/data_cube_page.jsp?data_theme=T_POP&data_cube=N_GENDER&u_id=10001389&c_id=10001043&add=Y